Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turned computer off during windows 10 update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wavynelson

Wavynelson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:16 AM

So for the past few days my computer just boots up and says "retrieving previous something" for about half a second then restarts. This has been looping for the past hour and I have tried everything online from turning it off 3 times, which doesn't even work for me, to trying things along the lines of bios setups.when trying to force turn off 3 times and using the tool It just turns off and on and loops again every 3 times. Would there be any way to fix this. I don't care if i lose everything. I just need my computer back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skullboy

skullboy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

Just try and switch it on and leave it for some times, it will later restart the update, i run into this issue most times, just leave it nd chill, it will boot normal or perform a hard reset.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

The restart 3 times thing usually only works if you force it off during the first circle or two of the spinning circle.

That should get you to the Startup Repair menu.  If you can get there, there's several things to try.

If not, then start with these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

The memory test should work with any system, while the hard drive diagnostics may not (if you have a UEFI based system instead of a BIOS based system)

If you have a UEFI based system and need to run the hard drive diagnostics, post back with the exact make and model of your system (the motherboard make and model if it's a custom system).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Wavynelson

Wavynelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:12 AM

Just try and switch it on and leave it for some times, it will later restart the update, i run into this issue most times, just leave it nd chill, it will boot normal or perform a hard reset.

Did this for about 3 hours and nothing happened just kept looping

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:02 AM

BC staff, is it possible to boot into Windows 10 Safe Mode?  If so, is it possible to temporarily set Windows Updates to manual?  I ask because even though I can do so with my Windows 7, I do not know if those two steps can be done with Windows 10.

With Windows Updates not automatically forcing themselves into the computer, perhaps, the end-user will have the necessary breathing room to get the computer back into prime working condition.  Of course, then, a full image of the OS and Data partitions can be made onto external media using one of any number of free or fee backup / restore / cloning programs.

Edited by RolandJS, 05 September 2017 - 06:04 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

The easiest way into Safe Mode is the 3 restart method that I suggested earlier.

There's no easy way to get to the menu that offers Safe Mode (like the one in W7).

In general, the next step after that is to boot from installation media and use that repair function (but I'm unsure if it let's you into Safe Mode) - as that method doesn't load the registry hives.

But, if they use that method - then they'll have the necessary stuff to reinstall W10 (the OP states that they don't care about losing stuff).

To get the Media Creation Tool and a copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft - visit this link:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

In the most extreme cases, one can copy the registry hives, remotely mount them on another system, then change the registry values to force entry into Safe Mode, save those changes into the registry hives, then copy the modified registry hives back into the original system (saving the unchanged ones as a backuip) and then boot to Safe Mode.  But this is very difficult and not needed very often (I have a tool at work that does this for us - and we've never had to use it in this way).

Finally, there are other ways to repair the boot stuff - but that's not something that I'm familiar with.
I'd suggest posting over in the W10 forums for assistance if that is what they'd like to do.

Edited by usasma, 05 September 2017 - 08:26 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

I was looking into this further, and found this post by JohnC_21:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/560042/force-windows-to-boot-into-safe-mode/?p=3569838

It seems that my viewpoint was a bit simplistic :0)

I am not sure bcdedit can be used at the command prompt of a system repair or install disk but take a look at this. If it does work, you will need to disable it or it will loop in safe mode.

Could you use a Windows 7 system repair disk to do a System Restore before the update your are trying to revert?

If the above does not work,

The only way I know how to force a safemode boot outside of Windows is to download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk and use it's Offline Registry Editor.

Safe mode uses the following registry key. You will have to add the Option key under Safeboot and also  "OptionValue" with a dword value of 1

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Option]
"OptionValue"=dword:00000001

Edited by usasma, 05 September 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#8 skullboy

skullboy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:03 PM

Did this for about 3 hours and nothing happened just kept looping

Then try and reload the O.S if the problem persist.

Edited by skullboy, 05 September 2017 - 06:03 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

The Windows 10 Install disk allows you to do a System Restore if a restore point is available. If a restore point is not available Windows keeps a set of Hives in C:\Windows\System32\config\regback. If the dates of the hives in regback are before the problem one can rename the hives in the config folder and copy them from the regback folder either using a live linux disk or by using the command prompt on the Windows install disk. Windows copies the hives from config to regback on a regular basis. 

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2017 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users