Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skull Ransomware (random 6 character ext) Support Topic

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teltech

teltech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

Hi All,
a customer has got hit by a weird ransomware, the file extensions are random 6 letters.
the ID tool couldn't detect what is it.
If anyone knows what this ransomware is would be great.

SHA1: adbd940d50bcf09335b92d0d565ad0a085bc114c

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

Did you find any ransom notes and if so, what is the actual name of the note?
Did the cyber-criminals provide an email address to send payment to? If so, what is the email address?

ID Ransomware cannot properly identify the ransomware without a ransom note since there are several different ransomware infections which append a random 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc character extension to the end of all affected filenames (i.e. CTB-Locker, Crypt0L0cker, CryptON (Cry9, Cry36, Cry128, Nemesis), Maktub Locker, Alma Locker, Princess Locker, Locked-In, Mischa, Goldeneye, Al-Namrood 2.0, Cerber v4x/v5x and some Xorist variants).

The best way to identify the different ransomwares that use "random character extensions" is the ransom note (including it's name), samples of the encrypted files, any obvious extensions appended to the encrypted files, information related to any email addresses used by the cyber-criminals to request payment and the malware file responsible for the infection. If you have not done so, suggest you try uploading both encrypted files and ransom notes together at ID Ransomware since that provides a more positive match.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

Looks to be new. The ransom note uploaded by the user was "How_To_Decrypt_Your_Files.html", and it just has an iframe to another page.

<iframe name='Skull Ransomware' src='http://adartmark.com/blog_howto.html'; style='height: 100%; width: 100%;' frameborder='0' scrolling='yes'></iframe>

More details here: https://twitter.com/demonslay335/status/904743936178225152

We'll need a sample of the malware to analyze. I've added identification to ID Ransomware as "Skull Ransomware", pointing victims to this topic.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#4 Amigo-A

Amigo-A

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:10 AM

Also is added a description for Skull Ransomware in Digest, references and links at topic of support and to contributors, who participated in the identification. 

Need info about Crypto-Ransomware? A huge safe base here!

Digest about Crypto-Ransomwares (In Russian) + Google Translate Technology

Anti-Ransomware Project  (In Russian) + Google Translate Technology and links

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users