MY 11 year old HP Media Center m7330n worked fine yesterday and shut down normally after playing a DVD on statistics. This morning I tried starting it and I observed the black screen with no evidence of the POST starting (pressing the computer ON button the monitor shows the 'no signal' message for a second or two and then the screen goes black/blank), no little arrow of the cursor on screen, a constant beeping starts with about one second between beeps.
The following tests and observations were made:
1. CMOS battery measured 3v.
2. Power supply tested OK with a battery tester (after all connections from the supply disconnected from mother board and other computer components). Green light on power supply ON when connected to 115vac.
3. Monitor tested on another computer and OK.
4. When computer turned on the cooling fans run fine.
5. Hard Drive ruins when power on.
6. Not sure if this important : but think I had to pull the ac plug to turn computer off all the time ( or maybe occasionally)occasionally while doing some of the tests.
I have no idea what the steady beeping means/indicates.
A search of this forum for similar conditions seems to indicate the motherboard has failed. I'm hoping there are some more tests that can be done before coming to this conclusion.
Any suggestions/comments greatly appreciated.