Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen, no Post, no boot, no cursor, with steady beeping

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Daale7905

Daale7905

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

MY 11 year old HP Media Center m7330n worked fine yesterday and shut down normally after playing a DVD on statistics. This morning I tried starting it and  I observed the black screen with no evidence of the POST starting (pressing the computer ON button the monitor shows the 'no signal' message for a second or two and then the screen goes black/blank), no little arrow of the cursor on screen, a constant beeping starts with about one second between beeps.

The following tests and observations were made:

1.  CMOS battery measured 3v.

2. Power supply tested OK with a battery tester (after all connections from the supply disconnected from mother board and other computer components).  Green light on power supply ON when connected to 115vac.

3. Monitor tested on another computer and OK. 

4. When computer turned on the cooling fans run fine.

5. Hard Drive ruins when power on.

6. Not sure if this important  :  but think I had to pull the ac plug to turn computer off all the time ( or maybe occasionally)occasionally while doing some of the tests.

I have no idea what the steady beeping means/indicates. 

A search of this forum for similar conditions seems to indicate the motherboard has failed.  I'm hoping there are some more tests that can be done before coming to this conclusion.

Any suggestions/comments greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:49 PM

Depending on BIOS, a single beep repeated can be a RAM fault. The simplest check would be to remove the memory modules and power up to see if the beep code changes.

Are you into opening the system case and dealing with internal parts?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for your rapid response Platypus.

Yes I'm quite familiar with the insides of computers.  I'm a retired very senior citizen and have taken quite a few computers apart and there is  always something new to learn.  The solution to my current problem is one of them.

I will try taking out the memory modules and will get back to you on the results..  I'm not knowledgeable of beeping codes and initially thought I'd count the number of beeps in a sequence and that would hopefully indicate what might be causing the problem.  But the steady beep per second didn't have any pause in the beeping so I concluded  it gave no clue to what might be causing the problem.    

Last evening I removed the HD and connected it to another computer.  The HD was recognized and I used Explorer to view the contents of it.  I viewed a few files ( but not all folders were shown on Explorer ...like My Documents ..) and some files clicked on resulted in a screen message " You don't currently have permission to access this folder".  but it seems to me the HD is OK as a result of those findings.

#4 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

I removed the 3 sticks of memory as you suggested. I also remembered ( if my memory is correct) that it was often helpful in locating problems to disconnect all hardware ( monitor, hard drives, CD, dvd etc) and reconnect them one by one to see if one of them causes the problem; in my case the steady beeping. I also remembered that another often helpful procedure is to disconnect and reconnect the connectors to hardware and motherboard to make better electrical connections, especially in older troublesome computers. 

i removed the memory chips and disconnected the mouse, keyboard, hard drive and monitor. I had also disconnected and reconnected the power supply to the mother board. Then reconnected the memory and hardware one at a time (in the order noted) , and turning on the computer and listening for the steady beeping as each component was added. For whatever reason no beeping was heard. When the monitor was lastly connected, it showed the computer booted up and loaded XP just fine!!!. I have no idea what caused the initial problem, but am happy the problem no longer appears. ....so far.  

Thanks again for the tip and jogging my memory.  It is greatly appreciated.

I should have mentioned that to test the power supply, I disconnected all connectors from it to connect it to the tester.    

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

It is possible that one of the memory modules had developed a bad contact, and removing and replacing it restored the connection. Glad you've had success!

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

it's more likely the capacitors around the CPU are bulging and have gone bad!  because of age of the machine.

your looking for bulging tops or even tops that have blown open.   the capacitors should be flat on top.

that's where i'd start, especially since my M8330f has the same issue.

Edited by mightywiz, 15 September 2017 - 02:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users