Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard won't use graphics card

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Peeverish

Peeverish

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:05 PM

Recently finished build

-Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

-MS-7A68 z270 tomahawk opt motherboard

-Intel I7-6700KCPU

-MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Duke

Currently being forced to use the on board graphics because the card is listed as a PCI simple communications controller and is not a display adapter. I've done some research on it and attempted to apply the fixes I've found to no avail.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2BA&SUBSYS_7A681462&REV_00
This is the hardware IDS and Googling it doesn't lead me to anything that looks like a simple driver for it, it leads me to the Intel Management Engine Interface, installing that will turn the 'PCI communications controller' into the Intel Management Engine instead of actually listing it as a display adapter. Driver installations before and after this change haven't worked because "the graphics driver could not find compatible hardware". 

I really don't get why it's doing this. If I could simply find the drivers I need and apply them that would be great. Maybe there's another issue going on, however. Any help is appreciated! 

Edited by Peeverish, 04 September 2017 - 12:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:54 PM

The simple communications controller device listed is the Intel Management Engine Interface, it's not related to the video card.

Please give more detail about what process you're following with the video driver installation.

Which driver package have you tried to install? I'm assuming when the GTX1080 is installed you get output from it at basic resolution with Windows' standard driver?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Peeverish

Peeverish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:02 PM

I'll just search for my graphics cards drivers and find an installer off of Nvidias website. Tried searching for 1080 and 1080Ti, both of witch I get stopped with "Nvidia installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

#4 Peeverish

Peeverish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:05 PM

Any idea why the graphics card isn't listed in the Device Manager if the PCI simple communications device isn't my card? Woudn't it still be there without drivers?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:30 PM

Would you not use the correct drivers from MSI?

As for no appearance in Device Manager, that's why I asked for confirmation that the card is operating when fitted and providing video at basic resolutions with the default Windows driver.

If you get no video when the card is fitted to the system, and you're trying to pre-install drivers using the onboard video output, that would suggest the card simply isn't working.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Peeverish

Peeverish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:19 AM

The MSI website refers me to Nvidia when I get to the driver support page. Not only a link to their website, but a download on that page for Nvidias driver installer. So, I poked around a little.. Not sure if it matters, but the debug doesn't light up for VGA, it gets power and whatnot all fine. BIOS has this thing called board explorer and it lets me see what's plugged into where. Aaaand looking at the slot its in from the BIOS, the motherboard doesn't recognize it at all. The slot is definitely not empty. Just to be more descriptive, it's plugged into the slot closest to the CPU, which also has a different color from the other two slots. Also in the PCI slot over, board explorer shows a 'Solid State Storage Controller, Running at 2x' in that slot. Can we be sure whether or not it's a compatibility issue? No point in sending it back to test a new one if it just isn't compatible. Any other ideas as to why it isn't working?

Edit: Found out I can't even download GeForce Experience because it requires a NVidia GPU.

Small mistake! It's a Geforce GTX 1080ti Duke. Not sure if that makes a huge difference.

Sorry.

Edited by Peeverish, 04 September 2017 - 12:49 AM.

#7 Peeverish

Peeverish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:58 AM

I'm actually wondering something... So, the Graphics card has two 8 pin power slots and the PSU has two 6+2 pin connectors to fit them. Do I actually have to plug them both in? I figured it was fine since it turned on okay and since they're so awkwardly close to one another it might not be meant for them to go right next to one another. When I attempted to move the card to another PCI slot (didn't work) I actually tried filling all of the slots. Turned on, fans spun, fans stopped, VGA lit up on the EZ Debug. So assuming it needs all the connectors, I don't have enough power when it's fully plugged in. Box will tell me that I requires at least 600 watts, and so I have a 600 watt PSU. 

Does it show it's the first newer build I've made?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:00 AM

Just to start, were you able to install the motherboard drivers (chipset, audio, network) after installing Win 10? Can you check this video to confirm if its power connections are properly installed or plug? I would presume also that your Nvidia graphics card came with a CD driver installer?

Tekken

#9 Peeverish

Peeverish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:06 AM

AHA! The power connectors are not correctly installed. Like I said, system stopped after a few seconds when it was fully connected as you see in the video, and the VGA debug led lit up, indicating that the graphics card was preventing the system from running. Both the card and the motherboard came with discs, however I do not have an optical drive. I figured once I got the OS running I would install the drivers I needed although I haven't gotten the motherboard drivers yet. At this point I fully believe my power supply is lacking.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:17 AM

I would post the PSU model brand and wattage next time. Make sure to install all the essential drivers for the OS before proceeding with the graphics card hardware and drivers.

Tekken

#11 Peeverish

Peeverish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

Got hold of a new PSU and it works! Turns out I didn't have enough power to run everything. Next time I'll be sure to post the PSU and wattage. 

Not really sure how to close this/mark as solved. Thanks for your help, guys!

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:06 PM

Straightforward topics are very seldom formally 'closed' on BC. Topics that do get closed are usually duplicates or topics where the discussion has wandered way off topic or topics where the forum rules have been seriously breached.

But glad you got your problem solved. It just shows that sometimes there is value in the small print !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users