Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to set up my partitions? New computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deneco4

deneco4

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

Hello, i havent ever used windows 10. Last for me was vista. I built a video production comp with 2 matching 4tb hard drives and a 512gig ssd pcie. I want to set up partitions right.
How do i do that?
Here is an article that sounded like a good idea:

You are on the right track of separating your O/S from your applications. The idea is that you don't want your disk drive, by far the slowest peripheral in our PC's, serve two masters. With that thinking, having a separate drive for your assets is smart.

Here's how mine works:
Internal: Primary drive is divided into two partitions (yes, I said partitions - I am a vocal opponent to partitioning which is an artifact from the days that hard disks were getting bigger than DOS could address). The first partition is the boot partition, and the second partition is the Windows 7 System Backup partition. Secondary drive is where I put the "My Documents" and temp folders.
Externally: I use USB Docking Ports for everything else. Terabyte drives are relatively cheap, and I just dedicate a physical drive to a single project. Each project gets its own drive.

Steve

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 03 September 2017 - 06:59 PM.
Commercial URL deleted

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

What are you looking to accomplish with the partitions?

Having your backup on the same drive as your OS, even in a different partition, isn't going to do you any good if the drive fails.  Drive failure is not as common with solid state drives (SSD), but it still can happen.

I used to be a member of the partition school of thought, but once inexpensive 1TB drives became the norm I stopped.  Now that large, 256GB+. SSDs are available I don't have a reason to partition.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

Hello, i havent ever used windows 10. Last for me was vista. I built a video production comp with 2 matching 4tb hard drives and a 512gig ssd pcie. I want to set up partitions right.
How do i do that?
Here is an article that sounded like a good idea:

You are on the right track of separating your O/S from your applications. The idea is that you don't want your disk drive, by far the slowest peripheral in our PC's, serve two masters. With that thinking, having a separate drive for your assets is smart.

Here's how mine works:
Internal: Primary drive is divided into two partitions (yes, I said partitions - I am a vocal opponent to partitioning which is an artifact from the days that hard disks were getting bigger than DOS could address). The first partition is the boot partition, and the second partition is the Windows 7 System Backup partition. Secondary drive is where I put the "My Documents" and temp folders.
Externally: I use USB Docking Ports for everything else. Terabyte drives are relatively cheap, and I just dedicate a physical drive to a single project. Each project gets its own drive.

Steve

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Instead of partitioning your data you should just have different drives.

I really do not understand what your scheme is but you talked about Windows 7 and Windows 10, is this a dual boot computer? Why dual boot. Just stick with Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

Myself I would do my Boot OS on the SSD for the sole purpose of speed!

then I would use the 4TB drive partitioned in 2 partions:

3TB for Misc apps/data

1TB for Backup of the OS and extra data you want to save.

Then I would also have a NAT drive setup on my router for another backup of OS and important data I want to keep.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

Myself I would do my Boot OS on the SSD for the sole purpose of speed!

then I would use the 4TB drive partitioned in 2 partions:

3TB for Misc apps/data

1TB for Backup of the OS and extra data you want to save.

Then I would also have a NAT drive setup on my router for another backup of OS and important data I want to keep.

Although this sounds like a good plan, the OP is dual-booting. It might be a bit more complicated for him.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users