Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for software firewall like "PC Tools Firewall Plus"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sabrewulf

sabrewulf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

For one of my computers, I do not want any connections going out that I did not explicitly permit. I used to use "PC Tools Firewall Plus", but this has been discontinued and will not work with Windows 10. So I need something else. The problem is that none of the firewall's screenshots show the parts I really need (advanced more). So I am hoping for recommendations here.

Must have:

+ Per default: any connection has to ask (incoming AND outgoing)

+ Approve detailed connection: each connection asks to a particular IP address, port and protocol (TCP/UDP), each which one can permit / reject

+ Rule-based: Not wanting to approve 200 separate requests, one may want to allow all "Outgoing, port 80 for Application X" or "any connection to verisign" or "allow any access from an IP address within my subnet mask" or something like that

Nice to have:

+ License can be used by multiple PCs, ideally not too expensive

I have tried glasswire (bought it, regret it) and one that builds on top the windows firewall.

Any suggestions or links to reviews for advanced/power users are very welcome!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Try Sphinx firewall - first read the forum about all releases, then you can get free or paid
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vistafirewallcontrol/
you will see all release history in their first link

Their main page with comparison of versions is
http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

Edited by tos226, 11 September 2017 - 10:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users