Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

personal Wifi controlled ( smart ) internet kill switch?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

Found this.

http://makezine.com/projects/internet-kill-switch/

make_wp04_internetkillswitch_finished.jp

Pretty interesting if you ask me.

Has anyone made anything like this.

I suppose you could just plug and unplug your router or cable to PC.

But then you'd have to access back of your PC and kill your wifi connection.

And if you have smart wifi gadgets @ home this wouldn't be useful.

Anyways...

Would it be possible to make a wifi internet kill switch?

One that you could possibly control by your phone?

I suppose if the switch was somehow getting power from an outlet you could install a wifi/smart outlet and kill the connection. But they don't require power from an outlet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

I suppose you could run a ethernet ( Cat5E ) cable out from your router into a 2nd router.  Then have that 2nd router powered by a wifi/smart outlet.  And run another ethernet ( Cat5E ) cable to the PC you want to kill a connection to.

Does that make sense?
Is that even possible.

Can you run a connection from 1 router to a 2nd router?
Kinda like "daisy chain ".

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:02 PM

Routers require a mains sourced power supply, you can always just pull the plug or switch it off. the last time I saw a switch that looked like that it was a detonator.

But why would you want a switch like this ?  If somebody has access to your system and/or house they can always turn it back on.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:41 PM

Comcast is offering the service you describe but more advanced.  It allows the admin in the home to access their gateway and block or set limits on individual users and the internet.  Handy but you have to be on Comcast and pay for their Xfinity and Xfi  offerings.  Too expensive for the average  home user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users