Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsure if a rootkit or redirection virus is present [Win 10 Home Premium 64 bit]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Winter316

Winter316

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:37 PM

Hi. I am new to these forums and I am doing my best to follow the posting and rule guidelines.

Right, so this has been persisting for about 2 weeks or so now. While I'm browsing websites with Google Chrome that would normally be considered safe (i.e. Deviantart, scrolling through google images results), sometimes I get the following warnings:c837c97d01.png

This has confused me greatly because I have not experienced any other symptoms such as crashes, redirections, etc. I have ran scans with the following software and found no results:

• AVAST Free AV: both a fulltime scan while in windows and a boottime scan
  • MBAM: both in and out of safe mode with the rootkit detection option checked
  • HitmanPro: both in and out of safe mode
  • Adwcleaner: both in and out of safe mode
  • Super Anti Spyware Free Edition: both in and out of safe mode.
  • TDSSKiller: In safe mode. The program fails to open at all outside of safe mode.

There is no particular consistency in how I receive such URL:Mal warnings; I had gone a week without receiving any which was after I had done a system restore to a previous date where I did not have this issue. I am concerned because today the one on the left is a new one, it was always just the single one on the right. I have also not noticed unusual network usage this entire time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I found out that TDSSKiller wasnt being prevented from running by anything malicious, it was because of Avast.

Edited by Winter316, 03 September 2017 - 03:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

This is nothing more than your AV program at work.

There is nothing to worry about.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Winter316

Winter316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

This is nothing more than your AV program at work.
There is nothing to worry about.

Thank you for such a quick response.
I'm just still mostly confused as to how I've apparently been trying to connect to the same malicious domains repeatedly but with no clear pattern for the past 2 weeks or so.
I'm a careful guy; I have uBlock Origin and a popup blocker extension.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

I'm careful as well but once in a while my Malwarebytes will pop up with similar message.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users