Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Remote Desktop Services - Windows 10 Home Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:09 PM

Hi there, 

i recently re-installed Windows 10 Home 64x

and everytime when i boot up my pc,

These Remote services are running.. and i disabled it as you can see in the images..

and i don't use any remote connection, or connections because i don't use it.

and my question is..

is this normal that these services are running when it is disabled as you can see in the images?

:o

Pls help me..

https://prnt.sc/gglxpp

-Cheers Brent! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

I've been able to find several threads similar to your question elsewhere:

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/88764-remote-desktop-services-services-keeps-setting-itself-automatic.html

https://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/164541-cant-disable-remote-desktop-services.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/57136-turn-off-hyper-v-enhanced-session-mode-windows-10-a.html

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/how-to-turn-off-remote-desktop-service-in-windows-10.379199/

Related, but not directly:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4499-start-stop-disable-services-windows-10-a.html

My guess is that something else you have installed on your computer is enabling Remote Desktop Services, but I have absolutely no idea what that might be other than Norton, which clearly has a "track record" in this regard.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

I only have Google chrome installed, and the Default windows 10 Anti-virus :) but i don't know what it can be.. :( and iknow Windows 10 home does not Support Remote desktop, it only can be used by Remote applications.. so i hope someone can help me out with it, and it only started when i installed Google chrome and running it.. and then it starts everytime when my pc boots up :( ... -cheers brent!

Edited by Doghen, 05 September 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

What Version and Build Number of Windows 10 are you running?

I'm not quite sure why you believe that Win10 Home does not support Remote Desktop, as it must in order to use Remote Desktop Assistance, which I have actually used.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

Hi, well I don't speak Dutch however I believe you have the services set to manual not disabled. Disabling will stop them starting. 
You have the Remote Desktop client on your system, something that comes with all editions of Windows as I recall. Therefore, you can remotely log into other computers that support it.

Your Win 10 home desktop, however, does not have the server part of Remote Desktop, so you cannot connect to your computer remotely from anywhere else. The server part only comes with the Pro and Enterprise Editions of Windows (and Windows Server)

Without more information I do not know why they are starting (set from manual). In pro when you open the system properties remote tab, you have remote desktop options (missing from home), one is to check "don't allow remote connections to this computer" This invokes a registry entry:-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server]
"AllowRemoteRPC"=dword:00000000
"fDenyTSConnections"=dword:00000001

Copying all of this (inc the header) into notepad saving it as remote.reg, and then double clicking on the saved file, to add to registry, will ensure no remote connections.

#6 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:12 AM

Britechguy i'll use Windows 10 home 64x Bits version 1703 build 15063.540.

and Jenea i have unticked the assistance as you can see but i don't know why it is running. but i will test these out thankyou. 

when you have further details please contact me :)

and i have used these reg.file now, and i will save it on my USB-stick :) Thanks!

and is it good to use these reg.file when the remote desktop services are set to manual?

and i have unticked Remote Assistance.. is Unchecking Remote Assistance good enough?

Edited by Doghen, 06 September 2017 - 06:41 AM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

Brent,

Why is this such a huge concern?  No one can remotely connect via Windows without your being notified and granting permission.  The footprint for this service is actually quite small in wait mode.

I suspect that something else you have installed is activating it.  No matter what you do if that's the case it will be activated again until or unless you remove whatever it is that activates it for its own purposes.

#8 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

I only have Google chrome installed.. and the drivers from Windows updates.. pff and why do i not have a message/permission message that someone/program will connect trough remote desktop services? ... lol but right now i have added the reg.file and everything is fine right now :) the services are not running and set as 'Manuel' 

Edited by Doghen, 06 September 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#9 diane56

diane56

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

It keeps repeating I'm putting in the wrong User Name and won't let me sign in. I wrote down all the correct info. Anyone have an answer to this problem? Thanks!

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

It keeps repeating I'm putting in the wrong User Name and won't let me sign in. I wrote down all the correct info. Anyone have an answer to this problem? Thanks!

Diane,

*What* keeps repeating . . . ?

I'd love to help, and others would, too, but your message appears to have been tacked on to a topic that it's not related to.  I would be happy to split this off to its own thread once you identify the *what*, since that's the starting point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users