Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware? Virus?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 catsears

catsears

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:10 AM

running Win7 Professional; awhile back, couldnt boot, got that fixed (dont ask me how); since then seems things have been weird...right now, have run all virus/malware etc programs, nothing shows; but a tech said I probably have malware or virus.   Now the computer is very slow, slow to function, WONT open websites or links (have to go in another way); WONT update Windows (have gone to MS to try to fix that, hah, tried everything) still wont update...says update never run, when trying...gives me the error 0x80073712 (2017-09-01-T-04_04_01_34P)

so, under BleepingComputer, have run the ComboFix.txt, attached is the log.

CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE, ASAP?  otherwise, will have to take to shop...cost? who knows....I'm senior and low on funds/.  Afraid to do banking or anything else at this point. 

Thanks!!!Attached File  log.txt   32.14KB   5 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2017 - 02:33 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

what kind of malware/virus scans have you run?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

Let's reset the update components and see if you can download updates.

Open Notepad and copy and paste the batch script below in it.  Save this to the Desktop and name it UCReset.bat.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

To run the batch script right click on the UCReset.bat file on the desktop and select Run as administrator.

Restart your computer and try updating again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

thanks for your info.  did exactly as you said, but it STILL wont update!  still gives me the "never updated" and the error code ending in 0312.  what else can I try?

I'm thinking, its gonna come down to doing a destructive restore; hate to go thru that again, but might be the only option.  cant seem to find out whats causing problems!

thanks again, any other ideas/

#5 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

hi Mikey, have run McAfee, Malwarebytes, Adaware Virus, Defender, everything I can think of.  nothing works!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

The error 0x80073712 indicates a problem downloading or installing Windows updates.

Please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Post the results in your topic.

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

ok Tree Hugger, did as suggested: here's the results:

1. first.....service registration missing..fixed

0312...fixed

Problem install recent updates....fixed

2.  Background intel:

windows update 0312...not fixed

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one).

Notice:  This will take a long time to run, please allow for at least an hour for this to complete.  Stopping this can cause damage to the operating system.

When you open the Windows Repair (All in one) you will see tabs labeled Steps 1. through 5.  Then Repairs and Settings2. through 4. are optional.

Step 1.  Do a Proper Power Reset.  This is impotant and not optional.

Step 2.  Clean Your System From Infections (Optional).  This option will run Malwarebytes Antimalware if you choose to.

Step 3.  Check File System (Optional), this will give you the option to see if you need to run chkdsk or the option to run chkdsk.

Step 4.  System File Check (sfc /scannow), (Optional).

Step 5.  Registry Backup & System Restore.  This is not optional.
Click on Backup for the Registry, then click on Create for the System Restore.

Repairs.  Click on Start.

You will see an image similar to the one below, click on Start Repairs 

When the Repair has finished you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes.

After the computer is restarted you will need to reopen Windows Repair and go to Settings

Settings.  On this page you will see Log Location, in the same section you will find Open Log Folder.  Click on Open Log Folder, this will open the log files, double click on this, then click on _Windows_Repair_Log.  Copy the log and then paste it in your topic.

Tweaks is optional, you can go to these sites and use the tweaks.

Edited by dc3, 04 September 2017 - 01:04 PM.

#9 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

thanks Tree, will get to work on it now.  will post when done.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

My user name is dc3.

#11 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

oops, sorry!

#12 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

have done everything you said.  nothing...still same problem.  is there anything else I can do before committing to wiping everything and reloading OS?  thanks for your support.  now will you also direct me to the CORRECT instructions to do restore OS the proper way?  everytime I've done previously, something hasnt been right.  dont want to mess it up this time, too time-consuming!  thanks again

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

Please run sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

1. Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

2. CMD will appear above the search box, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

3.When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This will start the scan.  Please allow the scan to complete.  Stopping it could damage files.

4.To find the sfc /scannow log open the start menu and click on Computer.

5. Click on the drive letter Windows 7 is installed on.  This usually is the C: drive.

6. Clik on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

#14 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:10 AM

hi, just did as you said, this is what came up:  "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation".

whats this?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

Please run chkdsk /r

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.

Attention:  If this is a SSD do not run the /r switch, instead run chkdsk /f.

Click on the Start orb then type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

Copy and paste chkdsk /r in the command prompt, then press EnterPlease note:   

You will receive the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

When the scan is finished there will be a message in the Command Prompt explaining the results of this scan, please post these results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users