Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to upgrade my ram

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TeoGatas

TeoGatas

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

Maximum Memory: 16 GB

Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)

I have one 4GB RAM and an empty slot.So what should i do? Should I buy another 4 GB RAM (4GB+4GB = 8GB RAM?) or buy an 8 GB RAM ( 4GB+8GB = 12GB RAM)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

it would help if you told is what motherboard you have

#3 TeoGatas

TeoGatas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

i have a toshiba SATELLITE C55-C    (laptop)

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:55 AM

It might also help to tell us why you want to upgrade. If you're having problems there might be other things we can help with to improve things for you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

Review

Laptops don't offer many options for upgrading...but...I believe replacing the hard drive with a SSD is worth thinking about.  Those 5400 rpm drives are the slowest available today.

I too am curious about what the expectations are for changing anything.  IMO, the system is what it is and no amount of "upgrading" is going to put it on a par with laptops available today of more recent vintage.

What is the goal?

Louis

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

If you have an unlimited budget, I suggest buying 2 sticks x 8GB (16GB combined) of Kingston (any Kingston model) DDR3L SODIMM 1600Mhz. You can be certain that this will improve your laptop's speed and will work beautifully. It costs around $150 (combined). Good luck! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 03 September 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

Looking at this review...Toshiba Satellite C55-C5240 review: The best performance you'll find under $500 | PCWorld

I suggest not only getting at least 4 more GB of memory but to replace the HDD, too. You may even find that replacing the

HDD with a SSD one is the improvement you are looking for. Then use the existing clunky HDD for external storage and backup.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 TeoGatas

TeoGatas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

i want to update it for gaming. One of my friends had the excact same laptop with mine and bought a new ram but he doesn't remeber what ram he bought

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

It's actually not that slow of a laptop. It's below average at worst and is as fast as the best smartphones in the world from the beginning of yesteryear in comparison. Usually the 3 best ways of speeding any computer up are - upgrading the CPU if the motherboard permits it (since we're talking about a laptop, this is out of the question for most folks), swapping your classic hard drive for an SSD, switching to a low-load Linux OS, such as Linux Mint (this is free, but has a relatively steep learning curve as a price to pay) and maxing out RAM. Apart from that, and if you are looking from something free, I can only suggest you re-install your Windows cleanly. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 03 September 2017 - 09:33 AM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

I have always found that, in most cases, adding RAM will make what had been a formerly fast running but now laggy computer get a lot of its zip back if nothing else is wrong.  As memory has gotten cheaper and cheaper to buy developers have gotten more and more cavalier about programs eating up what would once have been unacceptably huge amounts of memory.

RAM is the first finite resource, and in my experience it's often far more critical than changing out to an SSD from an HDD, if the issue is the processor having more "room to play".

Were I the OP I'd probably go for an 8GB stick of the appropriate RAM and see how the system does on 12GB, which gives 75% more than what was there to start with.  If you decide you want to upgrade the existing stick you can do it later.  I'll revise that advice if this is one of those computers that does not have a door on the bottom for memory upgrading and you have to tear it down to get to your memory.  In that case I'd buy 2 8GB sticks so I never had to tear down the machine again for that purpose.

I also advise anyone considering doing a memory upgrade to go to the Crucial website and download their Crucial System Scanner.  Whether you buy Crucial memory or not (and I am not brand loyal in any way) this tool has never steered me wrong as far as being 100% accurate in detecting the number of slots, the type or types of RAM that will work, what the maximum RAM capacity actually is, and reporting on what you already have in the machine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 TeoGatas

TeoGatas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

I want to upgrade it in the cheapest way possible . So i might go with another 4GB RAM (=8GB RAM)  but i don't know if this will improve my laptops speed . I want to upgrade it for gaming only..because i am tired of this "your computer is low on memory" thing when i play games like battlefield 1 (My graphics card can handle BF1 but my RAM can' t) So will another 4 GB RAM improve my gaming experience or i should spent more money ?  :bananas:

#12 TeoGatas

TeoGatas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

I have the crucial system scanner and i used it before starting this conversation. Oh and i have to tear my laptop down to upgrade the RAM lol

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Then, were I you, I would price out all my options via eBay, Amazon, newegg, and similar.  I've purchased a lot of memory over the years from eBay and Amazon.

I have yet to have an issue with "no name" memory as virtually everyone contracts out to China these days to have their modules made no matter what brand name gets carried on them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

I suggest in that case that you spend around $50 and get 1 8GB RAM stick of whichever one is cheapest, but has 2 years+ guarantee.:)

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

I put zero stock in guarantees on RAM.   If it works out of the box it tends to keep working "forever."   If it's bad it is usually bad straight out of the box.

I have never had a memory module fail.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users