Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod Help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gr3yg00s3

gr3yg00s3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:11 AM

I've found solutions in on this forum in the past, but this is my first time posting. I haven't had any problems with my computer until about 3 or 4 days ago. I went to run the Windows update, that is set to download automatically but ask me before install. So I review the updates and then I choose to install them, as soon as the install starts I get a BSOD. It says something along the lines of PAGE_FILE_NOT_FOUND_IN_PAGE_AREA. Well I reboot and try running the updates again, thinking wow that was weird probably just a fluke or whatever. Now before this update, I hadn't installed any new software or hardware, or updated any drivers in quite sometime. Well after looking on google for a bit, I find out the message usually concerns drivers or bad RAM. I ran 2 different diag tools from my work on the memory and they passed fine. I decide to restore/repair Windows since I can't reformat right now since I have too much data that would need to be backed up and I can't afford another HD right now. After restoring/repairing Windows I ran CHKDSK /R and it came back fine, no errors or bad sectors. So I decided to then try the Windows update again, this time I get a BSOD that says it needs to physically dump the memory or something like that and I have to wait for it to get to 100% and then it restarts. I curious if there is anything I'm forgetting to try or do. Also, the only time the computer has an issue or BSOD is when I try to do the Windows update, and this just started occurring. I also ran virus and spyware scanners from my work. The tool uses McAffee, Trend Micros (PC Cillin), and one other that I can't think of the name of right now. I also used a trial version of Norton I had. The spyware scan consists of Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ewido, Webroot (Spysweeper), HiJack This!, and CWShredder. All the scans come back clean. If it helps the system specs are: 2GB Ram, WD 120GB - HD 50% full, AMD Athalon 64 3700+, ATi X800XT All-In-Wonder (AGP), Windows XP Pro SP2, page file is set to 4096MB, computer has around 35 processes running most of the time, and 2 DVD-RW's. If I left anything out sorry, just ask I will be happy to answer and questions. I really appreciate any help that anyone can suggest or give! Thanks to all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:45 AM

After restoring/repairing Windows

How did you do this?
What did you use?
Windows System Restore or a repair installation of Windows using the Windows XP CD?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:40 AM

Please check your Event Viewer for the specific details from the error message. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

The exact details are essential to isolate the problem.

I noticed that you've got 2 gB of RAM and a 4 gB pagefile - XP can only address 4 gB of RAM/pagefile total. I'd suggest shrinking your pagefile down to less than 2 gB.

To repair the page file, I'd suggest setting it to "No pagefile" and rebooting, then set it to the new value and reboot again.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 gr3yg00s3

gr3yg00s3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:53 AM

Sorry I should have specified, I currently have Windows restore disabled, I used the XP install cd. I first ran the recovery console then ended up doing a fresh install of Windows, but not formatting the drive. I have also changed the page file and will post in a couple of minutes with the event viewer log and the result of changing the page file to 2GB. Thanks for the help!

#5 gr3yg00s3

gr3yg00s3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:45 AM

This is the text from the Event Viewer:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 b1558928, parameter3 ae54ca20, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 38 1000008
0020: 65 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d e Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 63 30 eters c0
0030: 30 30 30 30 30 35 2c 20 000005,
0038: 62 31 35 35 38 39 32 38 b1558928
0040: 2c 20 61 65 35 34 63 61 , ae54ca
0048: 32 30 2c 20 30 30 30 30 20, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 30 0000

If any additional info is needed just let me know, thanks again for any help!

#6 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:20 PM

unlikely, maybe, but with your comp specs you should have a good psu. if it is straining or starting to fail it may cause errors. try disconnecting your dvd drives, floppy, and any usb devices that use power off the psu, then try the windows update. if successful, try another psu if you have one handy and see how it goes with everything reconnected, if unsuccessful, at least you can discount it!

a good psu calculator here:

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_supply_calculator.php

good luck

#7 gr3yg00s3

gr3yg00s3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:55 PM

I have a MadDog 550w psu, I tried my old 400w psu with almost all my USB and unneccesary devices unplugeed. Unfortunatly, no luck;btw according to the psu calculator you showed me I was around 340w. That's a helpful link that I bookmarked. Thanks for the suggestion and the link!

#8 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

no prob, it is always good to know you have plenty power in reserve :-)

only other thing i can think of at the moment is maybe your firewall's corrupted in some way. no expert tho, if you're not using windows firewall, turn whatever it is off, and use windows one temporarily, then try updating. weird it is only the windows update site, can you download from other sites?

#9 gr3yg00s3

gr3yg00s3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:18 PM

I'm using the Windows firewall which I have temporarily turned off just to make sure it wasn't something weird with that. I even tried going to the Windows update site and installing them the old way and still crashes once the install starts. I can download from all kinds of other sites, although I usually use FireFox to browse the web since IE is a little easy to exploit compared to Mozilla. lol. I contacted Microsoft's free support and am waiting probably 24 hours to here from them according to the e-mail. The whole thing is really strange to me. I've never seen a computer with these problems that wasn't infected, corrupt, or had bad hardware. Thanks for the help guys! :thumbsup:

#10 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:26 PM

do you know what the update are for? if they're anything to do with the .NET Framework, try uninstalling and reinstalling whatever versions you have in add\remove progs,

good luck waiting on ms!

#11 gr3yg00s3

gr3yg00s3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:39 PM

I checked what they are and it's just basic security updates for windows, an update for publisher 2002, and windows malicous software removal tool. I was thinking maybe there was a .NET update too, but again no luck. lol, I got an e-mail from the guy but it said he would be in touch within 24 hours so I'm really hoping this is a real quote on estimated time for help, and not some bogus response, lol.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:06 AM

Here's an explanation of the STOP 0x8e error: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x8e

The specific problem was a memory access error. As the article says, this is most commonly a hardware compatibility issue. Have you added any new hardware recently? Or updated/changed any of the drivers?

Here's another link with more information: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_59k7.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 gr3yg00s3

gr3yg00s3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:49 PM

Well guys I did an advanced daig on the memory, and bad news, while doing the Microtopology if found several bad sectors (on both dimms none the less). So looks like I will be buying new RAM when I can. Thanks for all your guys help! I really appreciate all the suggestions! Thanks again!

-Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users