Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to output audio to usb amplifier

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 terryr1

terryr1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:36 PM

Hi, I own a yamaha thr 5 guitar amplifier and am trying to connect it to my thinkpad yoga 14 running windows 10 using the included usb cable. I've tried to connect the amp to multiple laptops and all of them have outputted audio to the amplifier as well as record audio perfectly, I've only had problems with the thinkpad yoga. I've also never had trouble connecting devices to the thinkpad yoga before. The laptop recognizes the device just fine, just won't output audio to it. Another weird thing I've noticed is that if I play videos from youtube or other online video sites they don't work when outputting to the amp, but start playing fine when outputting to the laptop speakers.

Things I've Tried:

-the drivers are up to date and I've tried various versions of drivers

-updating the sound drivers on the thinkpad

-multiple usb cables

-when opening the sound manager I can see the bars next to the device stay gray even when I play a song 

-if I atttempt to test the device through the sound manager the bars get stuck turning green and filling up the meter like in the attached image, but no sound is outputted and the regular tone pattern doesnt happen

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Attached Files

Edited by terryr1, 02 September 2017 - 04:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

This appears to be an impedance mis-match.  Most guitar amps have a high impedance, around 100 kilo ohms where the output from most laptops and sound cards are for headphones/speakers and usually around 8 ohms.

#3 terryr1

terryr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

Do you have any suggestions on how I would go about fixing an impedence mis-match? Thanks.

Edited by terryr1, 03 September 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:25 PM

I haven't got an answer unfortunately.  But with respect, I'm not sure impedance mismatch is the issue if it's connected via USB.  If I'm reading the specs correctly, it acts as a USB audio interface (sound card), as well as a guitar amp.  So, when working correctly, basically you can just play any sound on your PC (e.g MP3's files etc.) through the amp, correct? You can also use it to record guitar into a sound editor or DAW, right?

The drivers you installed were the Yamaha-Steinberg USB Driver right?  http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/downloads/firmware_software/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver/

If you have installed several versions, Steinberg recommend complete removal of old versions before attempting to install the latest version (19.10) - https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver.html

Have you tried recording or playback in Cubase? I understand Cubase AI is bundled as a free download with that device, which uses the Yamaha Steinberg ASIO drivers.  ASIO drivers bypass the Windows mixer and other aspects of the Windows sound system, to give lower latency and cleaner sound.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 terryr1

terryr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

I just removed all the drivers and reinstalled it one more time to make sure but it's still not working. When it's working correctly it should play any sound on the pc and record to a sound editor as you stated. I bought the amp used so I didn't get cubase but I have tried recording into audacity and that has not worked. I know it should work because I've tried it on three other laptops and all of them have worked with outputting audio and recording into audacity.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

Bit of a mystery then, but at least you know the amp is fine then if it works as expected with other computers.  My guess is that this is likely to be an issue with something in that particular installation of Windows in the USB configuration.

You might try running the Windows USB troubleshooter - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17614/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-windows-usb-problems

I'd also suggest running system file checker in an admin command prompt.  In latest Windows 10 you have to do it through Powershell. Right click the start button and open either "Command Prompt (Admin)" or "PowerShell (Admin)" and in the resulting window, enter the command "sfc /scannow".

As an aside Tracktion T6 is quite a good free alternative to Cubase, if you did want a DAW that you could record to. It's also ASIO capable.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 terryr1

terryr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

Alright, thanks for the suggestions I'll try it out and see if it helps. I'm actually using Ableton as my daw right now but I'll see how Tracktion works out. Thanks again.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

Just another thought, have you tried connecting through a powered USB hub?  The Thinkpad Yoga is a pretty small "2 in 1" device. I just wonder if maybe it's struggling to supply the required power over the USB ports.

BTW Ableton is pretty good too :)  And is also ASIO capable.

Edited by jonuk76, 03 September 2017 - 01:08 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users