Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TAsk bar and Notifications issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Squingo

Squingo

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

Good evening,

Can you help me? My daughters laptop, running windows 10 has an issue, neither the windows start or the notifications work, the start changes colour when clicked and a brief swirly comes up but nothin else, and the notification is similar, you can highlight it and it feeds back the number of notifications but that is it, i have tried  sfc /scannow but so far to no avail, can anyone suggest anything to hlp me.

Many thanks,

Ian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

Please open a PowerShell window as Administrator. Copy and paste the following line into the PowerShell window and press Enter:

Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Clear and delete your Thumbnail and Icon Cache with batch script download link is below.

"Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder"

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618825/thumbnail-and-icon-cache-rebuilder/

Posted Image

#3 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

Hi FreeBooter, sadly no joy, I can send you a copy of the appx operation if that is any help?

Ian

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

Please uninstall all third party antivirus programs to see issue resolves.

Try Safe Mode to see issue resolves.

Edited by FreeBooter, 03 September 2017 - 12:03 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Hi FreeBooter,

Sadly no luck, I was using Avast so have compleetly removed this, I ran both suggestions again in both administator and safe mode, obviously get appx didn't work  in safe mode but I was hoping for more from your programme.

Another strange thing though, I was trying to do the reset and everytime it gets to a point and refuses to go any further going to a blue screen with a statement about problem and reboot.

I don't know if this is any use but I tohught I should pass it on to you.

Just running SFC /scannow to see if that is any use.

Many thanks for your help

Ian

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:57 AM

Would you like to repair install Windows 10 you will not lose your settings, install programs and personal data.

Posted Image

#7 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

Hi FreeBooter,

I must be doing something wrong, I have tried 2 different methods, and both times I have come to something like Windows setup had a problem, please reboot etc etc, I'm starting to wonder if it has a virus...

Ian

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

Please ask for malware infection checkup at Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

Posted Image

#9 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Hi,

I ran from safe mode, Mbam and adaware, they showed no infections, I also ran the Kaspersky resuce disk, had some issues with scanning a disk but nothing commented on in the report,

I think I may just do a full reinstall from fresh, can you suggest a programme I can backup all the pictures files and documents I have?

Ian

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

There are many free file backup software available you can found list of them from below link.

"The best free backup software 2017"

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-pc-backup-software

Posted Image

#11 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

Hi FreeBooter,

I must be doing something wrong, I have tried 2 different methods, and both times I have come to something like Windows setup had a problem, please reboot etc etc, I'm starting to wonder if it has a virus...

Ian

If there is already such a problem you can't fix it in any way. You need to do a clean installation and not install any Avast anti-virus again. There is already a good enough program for that installed by default.
And if You do new installation, is not needed to do any restart manually never and nothing. You must do only some choices and insert some data, is it is Your computer or your company computer, have you activation key or not and etc.
It would be better if someone, who knows, what and how should be done, could do it.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

I would suggest doing a Windows 10 repair using the installation media.  If you do not have the installation media you can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

Once you have the installation media you will need to change the boot order in the BIOS/UEFI so that the disc or flash drive are listed as the first device in the order, the hdd/ssd the second device.  If you are using a DVD you will want to make the first device the CDROM, if it is a flash drive you will want to make the USB device the first device.

Once you have the installation install in the computer restart it.

You should receive as message instructing you to press any key to continue, do so.

Once the installation begins you will go through a number of steps.  When you see the image below select Repair your computer.

Attached File  w10 repair image.PNG   49.13KB   0 downloads

This will take you to the System Recovery Options, select the Startup Repair. This will run the repair after this.

Edited by dc3, 08 September 2017 - 11:37 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users