Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant BSOD's kernel data inpage errors daily...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xlcgroup

xlcgroup

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

Hey guys, I'm on 8.1 and have had the computer freeze up so many times a day for weeks. A few days ago I was able to run the chkdsk and it came up with no errors. I'm now getting these errors everyday and frequently. I'm now doing research on another desktop just because the affected one is unusable for pretty much anything now. I had just gotten it back from repair a few weeks ago. When the BSOD appears, the progress doesn't even move past 0%. All 8.1 updates are installed, scans are clean from MWB and superanti spyware. I am now thinking about updating the BIOS. I have tried to run mdsched.exe and it says error OXC000000e and I need to repair using 8.1 CD as files are missing. When I tried to do that it says Startup repair couldn't repair PC, try other options, "log file: \system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt".When I try to refresh PC, it says the drive where win is installed is locked, unlock drive and try again. I also get critical process died BSOD's once in a while as well as well as oxc000021a.

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2017 - 04:15 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

NTStatus code 0xc000000e:

// MessageId: STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE
//
// MessageText:
//
// A device which does not exist was specified.
//
#define STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE            ((NTSTATUS)0xC000000EL)

Most often these (with the locked drive) are going to require a backup and reinstall of Windows.

But, for starters, Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Edited by usasma, 02 September 2017 - 01:40 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 xlcgroup

xlcgroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

Here is the data... thanks in advance.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/m5An7ObrZOSA56D1JTHkQoS

Edited by xlcgroup, 02 September 2017 - 03:12 PM.

#4 xlcgroup

xlcgroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

Here is the zip.

Attached Files

#5 xlcgroup

xlcgroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/m5An7ObrZOSA56D1JTHkQoS

sorry, wrong thread. can't delete, will post in correct thread.

All data has been posted in the appropriate thread as instructed.

Edited by xlcgroup, 02 September 2017 - 03:14 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version V17.5) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

You only have 913 MB of available Physical Memory (RAM).
Please get more memory if the system is able to handle it.
While waiting to upgrade the memory, please:
- only use one program at a time
- go through your startup items and stop those that aren't essential from loading with Windows

As you already have 8 gB of RAM installed, I have to wonder what's occupying the RAM - especially on a fresh install of Windows..

Take a look in Task Manager and see what programs are eating up most of it and let us know.

Speccy shows Chrome taking up 2.24 gB, but the rest is just a lot of stuff taking up smaller bits of RAM.

I would suggest doing the following to determine if this is a hardware problem or not:

First, run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

If they all pass then do a "clean" install of Windows:

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 xlcgroup

xlcgroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. I uninstalled a bunch of software that I didn't have on my system when things were fine a month ago. I then uninstalled a bunch of MS drivers from 4+ years ago that had newer updates installed. For the last 55+ hours, I have had zero BSOD's. I have left it on continuously since Saturday while having Chrome open with 10 hr. YouTube videos running every 12 hours simutaneously with AutoCad, Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, MWB, SAS and other smaller apps. I also use the other 4 tabs open to surf every few hours as well. Zero issues. This is the link to my manufacturer's drivers.

Here is the email from support:

For the latest drivers, you can check on the manufacture's website of the motherboard. The following link has the drivers for the motherboard in that system.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X79A-GD45-Plus.html#down-driver

Try pressing F11 to bring up the boot menu and see if the USB listed there as an option. Also after selecting it, keep pressing any key as sometime the message doesn't show up until you see it start loading into the windows installation.

I responded with:

I see the list of drivers, do I just download the 17.9, the latest version at the top or do I need to download and install the various different ones with different descriptions?

" - Improved Memory compatibility"

F11 brings up the USB. Do you mean to keep hitting enter to select it?

I tried installing and it says "this app can't run on your PC".

Then I was told:

I think you were trying to update the BIOS. Don't update the BIOS. Go the driver section and download and install the drivers under there.

I responded with:

You're right. All under Win 8.1 64 should be downloaded?

I see some of these are from 2013 and some from 2017. Does that no matter? should I just install all of them?

Finally, he wrote:

The date doesn't matter. Install all the drivers if you haven't done so already after reinstalling Windows.

So, I ended up not installing most of the updates because at the time, my desktop was crashing too frequently to get the whole process completed. He was telling me not to update the BIOS for some reason, Is it safe to say if I can go another few days, the issue is resolved? I was facing freeze ups every 20 minutes a few weeks ago.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

Not updating the BIOS is, IMO, a leftover from the days where you did the flash from removable media and there was no way to check and see if it was the proper update.  Too many motherboards were fried by incompatible updates - so you can physically damage your system with a bad BIOS flash.  That being said, I've been updating BIOS's since W8 came out (at work) and it is a routine process for us.  We do not flash BIOS's from removeable media - only from within Windows or by booting to the EZFlash (or similar) software in the BIOS of some systems.  A couple of other things:

- we do this a lot, so we're familiar with the quirks that most people might run into.

- we double check every BIOS update to make sure it's the correct one for the system (if doing it with an external device, I suggest triple checking it)

- we have a reliable power supply, so we don't expect any power failures/surges while flashing - nor are there any kids/animals that might come into the room to interrupt a flash.

- we know not to fiddle with the system while flashing - which was a problem with flashing in the past.

- we have had 2 flash failures due to a customer using a motherboard with an unsupported CPU - but we were able to recover by flashing back to the old BIOS version

That being said, if you're concerned about flashing the BIOS - leave it until it's the last thing that you can do.

That way you've tried everything else - so it's the only thing left to try.

The method that MSI suggested would update all of your MSI drivers.

If the problem was a driver from MSI - then this would tend to fix the problem, but.....

This presumes that the MSI installer would remove the corrupted driver before installing a new one - which doesn't always happen.

If that didn't fix it, the possible problems are:

- that the MSI installer didn't remove the corrupted driver.

- a BIOS issue

- other 3rd party driver problems

- a hardware problem

- Windows driver problems (in general, this is presumed to NOT be the cause as long as Windows is fully updated)

To fix the possible MSI installer problem, there's 3 options:
- manually removing the faulty driver (but first you have to know which driver to remove)

- uninstalling the old software before installing the updated software.  This generally (but not always) removes more than just updating it in place.

- wiping the system and installing the software as needed.  This'll either leave the software off the system, or will install a fresh copy (as long as you download the latest version of the affected driver).

But, the point here is that you've fixed it - so you don't have to worry about all the if's, and's, and but's of identifying and repairing drivers.
In general, if the system works well for a week, it's somewhat likely that you've fixed it.  If it works for 2 weeks, then (IMO) it's most likely been fixed.

Good luck and good work!

#9 xlcgroup

xlcgroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:41 AM

B) Awesome, if it runs wells for 2 weeks, I will clone the drive and when push comes to shove, I can attempt a BIOS update with a reliable backup in place but I won't fix it since it doesn't seem to be broke ATM. My updates are not set to automatic and I will vigilantly inspect each and every update before I install. I used to let 8.1 handle and install them automatically but not anymore. Can you see which update is the one I need to install from the link above for future reference?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

No, I can't tell which update.  But I do suggest that you install the Live Update utility and use it.  It's on this page: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X79A-GD45-Plus.html#down-utility

Also, I do not believe in not installing any Windows updates

If there is a problem with a Windows Update, I think the problem lies with the other software on the system - not with the Windows files (IMO this is 99+% certain)

My thoughts about this are that Microsoft tests their OS's with many more different scenarios than nearly any other developer - so they are familiar with more different types of problems than other hardware/software developers (with Windows that is).  My experience has shown me that most "bad updates" are actually due to incompatible 3rd party (non-Windows OS) software that has been installed on the system.

As such, I suggest the following if you have a problem with a Windows update:

- get all available BIOS/UEFI updates

- get all available add-on software and hardware updates (to the latest, W10 compatible version)

- get all available OEM software and hardware updates (to the latest, W10 compatible version)

- get all available Windows software and hardware updates (to the latest, W10 compatible version)

- ensure that there are no problems in Device Manager.

If unable to update anything, or unsure if it's W10 compatible, then:

- uninstall the software

- physically remove the hardware from the system

If unable to physically remove the hardware - then disable it in the BIOS/UEFI.  Disabling devices in Device Manager DOES NOT prevent the drivers from loading.

In general, it's better to uninstall software before installing an updated version (if possible), as it seems most uninstallers won't remove everything if it's an update - only if it's a full uninstall.

Good luck!

#11 xlcgroup

xlcgroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

Good to know. I'm slowly getting used to W8.1 on my desktop as my laptop is still W7. I really do love W7, it does everything in a basic manner and without hogging up resources for the simple tasks I do routinely. TBH, 8.1 isn't that bad on my desktop since I have found a few tricks to make it look and respond like W7 but my desktop is also way, way, faster than my laptop. Do you think it's worth it to upgrade to 8.1 on both system or higher as of now? I've read some bad experiences about upgrading from 7/8 too soon and I'm just on the verge of reliable full system backups for 7/8.1 so I would rather not deal with a whole new set of scenarios and issues I am not familiar with now if necessary. What are your thoughts on W9 compared to 7 + 8.1. I mostly use my 8.1 for CAD, browsing and spreadsheets. W7 is mainly for surfing and spreadsheets and emails.

Your views on W updates are mind-blowing. How long have you avoided W updates for? You don't even install security updates like for Excel, Adobe, etc? Do you update those directly from the homepages and not W? Or are you OK with minor updates only? Your thoughts do make sense to me from a rational P.O.V. MS has the most users so they naturally have the most feedback, a lot of which may be good for the majority but not for all. I can't count how many times I've had W issues after or during an update. It happened to me yesterday! The updates had downloaded and right before installing, it froze up. Luckily for me, I don't think it had actually started the install... it was right about to as no percentage sign was visible. I was afraid to cold-boot fearing it may mess up my OS so I left it alone for a few hours and after 0 progress, I started searching for solutions in this situation before forcing a shut down as I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do the research once I shut down. I found that laptops issues like this require a forced shutdown, unplugging the power source and removing the battery. I did this and left it alone for an hour just to be safe and it started up with no issues.  :thumbsup:

Might not have been the solution that saved me but I'm just happy to have been able to avoid another setback. If I had to guess, I'd say I had more issues with updates and installs than viruses and I've been an active computer user for over 20 year. Yeah, I know... never backed up a drive that whole time is crazy but I did back up important files in that time on CD's and HDD's since they're mostly docs and images.

So in summation, if I were to avoid updates altogether or do as you'll suggest in your response, I should just keep my software and hardware drivers up to date, back up frequently and if I choose to, upgrade my OS to the latest as the final security measure?

Good to see that your eyesight has improved. That's an awesome avatar. Thank you for your service sir.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

I believe you misunderstood me.
I believe in installing ALL Windows Updates - with no exceptions.
If problems occur, then I troubleshoot the other stuff on the system.

I prefer W10 to all other Windows OS's

It is responsive and relatively crash free compared to W8.1 and W7

It is also much easier to work on and is much more secure than the previous OS's

But, my needs are few:

- troubleshooting tools for BSOD's/crashes/hangs/etc

- balance my checkbook (Excel spreadsheet)

- surf the web

- tools for my website and for gathering information for the website

- a few games

Edited by usasma, 05 September 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#13 xlcgroup

xlcgroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

OK, thanks for the advice. I will install the Live Update utility as you suggested and backup if it is stable in 1.5 weeks. I will try W10 in the future but right now, I'm happy with my current setup and have been through enough torture this past month. I will keep W10 in mind for down the road. The negative feedback I read about were in the early stages of W 8 + 9 so it's probably not nearly as bad now. You've been so helpful and I hope your health issues are behind you now. Again, thanks for your service and your help. It is greatly appreciated. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users