Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ethernet port

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

so, im looking at a very lightweight laptop (Dell 13.3" 2in1 with a SSD)...

it is about 1/2" thick which precludes it having an optical drive which i can live with but it also does NOT have an ethernet port...

since i have had lots and lots of issues with my router/laptop now (i would assume a new laptop would connect better than this current one, based on my wife's experience with the above mentioned laptop) what do people do if they cant connect wirelessly?  theres no place to go online with a wired connection...

the ethernet connection is the only thing thats saved me at different times in the past.  i guess i have to forgo the super-lite computer for a more conventional size/weight if i want the insurance of a port?

they dont make a 3.0 usb to ethernet connector do they?  would something like even work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

Yes, they do make USB 3 to Ethernet.

What issues are you having with the current laptop connecting? Are you connecting via Wifi or Ethernet? What is the OS on the troublesome laptop?

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

Hi,

I think newer dell's have an USB C port and they have adapter like this as optional for USB, HDMI, Ethernet

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

Yes, they do make USB 3 to Ethernet.

What issues are you having with the current laptop connecting? Are you connecting via Wifi or Ethernet? What is the OS on the troublesome laptop?

oh im so pissed.  i typed a nice long descriptive missive of my issues and it never got posted.  lost in the poor connections someplace...

here goes again:

not quite a year ago, i had issues with my internet.  the troubleshooter (through microsoft on computers) showed internet getting from the "earth/world" icon to my house to my computer. but there was no internet signal.  this was regardless of trying wifi or cat5e...

i replaced my router with a new of the same model (netgear something) no luck.

i replaced my modem with a new of the same model (motorola surfboard 6300 i think) no luck.

i went back to my original modem and a new Linksys ac1750.  this gave me internet through both wifi and ethernet.  my wife has great connectivity through wifi (she hasnt got a ethernet port) and my wife sometimes has intermittent internet.

ever since i got back online (january-ish), ive have no print capability.  my brother is connected to the router via cat5e.  my computer shows it "offline". 

my internet still is sketchy with wifi giving me "connection timed out" too many times, so ive been working with a cat5e ethernet cable.

my laptop is about 8 years old (?) and i have Win7

my daughters laptop is about 4 years old and started with Win8.1 but upgraded to Win10

my wifes laptop is 1 year old and has Win10

of the 3, connection stability is worst to best

i would have thought that the router would be backward compatible but it doesnt appear to be.  ive about lost all patience with my printer as well.

geek squad will gladly come out for $75 and hour (or more?) but they wont guarantee any fix to my system...

ive checked and rechecked and rechecked all of my connections and used new cat5e cables and just kind of given up.  anything i need printed, i email to myself at work and print...

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

If you back up your data are you willing to do a clean install of Windows 7? What is the make and model of the computer?

For a printer showing offline 

Under Devices and Printers, double click your printer. A window should pop up. In the menu bar click Printer and make sure Use Printer Offline is not checked.

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

If you back up your data are you willing to do a clean install of Windows 7? What is the make and model of the computer?

Under Devices and Printers, double click your printer. A window should pop up. In the menu bar click Printer and make sure Use Printer Offline is not checked.

i would be but i havent gotten around to getting a portable hard drive to download all of my files...

if i download all of my files and programs, wont i also get all of the crap that might be attached to the files and programs?

also, i have Adobe LightRoom 5.7.  it started out as a disc at 4.0 with a free download to 5.0,  followed by 3-4 additional downloaded upgrades to end with 5.7.  how will i get back to 5.7 since they dont support anything under 6.0 now?  its really the only program that i really really need to be unaffected...

#7 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

it took some looking but i found this and unchecked it...

i tried a test and the printer is NOW online (THANKS) but in the document status pop up window, it shows "error printing"

it looks like its on the USB001 port, but ive got it connected to the router with a cat5e cable...

it prints if i try connecting with a USB cord but it seems i need to change the port somehow?

Edited by ltdave, 02 September 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

You would need to reinstall the programs on a clean install. As far as adobe lightroom contact Adobe support and ask them how to install 5.7 on a clean install and where to locate the license file on the computer. You can still download 5.7 here. You may have the license file located in a folder as explained here

If you have it connected via a Ethernet cable to the router you may need to change the port in the printer properties. Right click the printer > Printer Properties > Ports. You may also want to consult the Brother manual. I also think Brother has network troubleshooting software if I remember correctly. It would be on your printers supports site.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 September 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#9 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

If you have it connected via a Ethernet cable to the router you may need to change the port in the printer properties. Right click the printer > Printer Properties > Ports. You may also want to consult the Brother manual. I also think Brother has network troubleshooting software if I remember correctly. It would be on your printers supports site.

THANK YOU!!!!

with your help i got my printer all set up (again) and it works as designed!

thank you so much.  it was getting depressing...

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

Your Welcome, 

Are you still having issues with internet connectivity?

#11 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

im online but its a bit on the shaky side at times...

i honestly think its the laptop because it just takes a long time to respond to commands as simple as a mouse click at times...

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

How does the computer respond when you select Safe Mode with Networking? The first thing I would do is backup any important information you have to either any USB flash drive and transfer it to a good computer even if it takes a few times to complete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users