Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Merging Partitions in windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RossDG

RossDG

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

Hi Guys I am having some trouble merging partitions in windows 10. I want to merge C:// with the unallocated space - see screenshot below.

https://imgur.com/a/7hQrx

from what I understand the unallocated space needs to be right next to C: in order for me to do that but I am not sure how to do that. Here are my system specs:

Summary
        Operating System
            Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit
        CPU
            Intel Core i7 7500U @ 2.70GHz    62 °C
            Kaby Lake-U/Y 14nm Technology
        RAM
            12,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
        Motherboard
            Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MS-1797 (U3E1)    65 °C
        Graphics
            Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
            S20B300 (1600x900@59Hz)
            Intel HD Graphics 620 (MSI)
            2047MB NVIDIA GeForce 940MX (MSI)    48 °C
            ForceWare version: 385.41
            SLI Disabled
        Storage
            931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA)    40 °C
        Optical Drives
            HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUD0N
        Audio
            Realtek High Definition Audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

Warning: you should backup your data before doing any partition movements, either file backup or preferably a complete disk image to an external drive. There is always a chance things go bad when moving partitions.

Download Minitools Partition Wizard. All steps are virtual and will not complete until Apply is clicked. This lets you back out if a mistake is made.

Run Minitools after install. Left click the 900MB partition. Select Move/Resize. Left click the partition bar itself and drag the partition fully to the right. Left click the C: partition. Select Move/Resize. Left click the right arrow of the partition bar and drag fully to the right. Click Apply. The operation can take some time because you are moving data.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

Not that I don't agree with John with regard to it being essential to make a full system image backup, but I will note it has been a very long time since I've had anything blow up when doing partition management with tools such as the one he's suggested.

Easus Partition Manager is another tool for easy partition management, but I love Partition Wizard, too, and have used it.

Edited by britechguy, 02 September 2017 - 10:57 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

Brian is correct, of all the partition movements I have done none have gone bad but there is always a first time. 

#5 RossDG

RossDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the assistance guys, managed to get it done using EasUS partition software. Didn't do a backup since it's a new computer and I don't have anything to lose, however no data was lost anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users