Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Synaptics Touchpad has no settings

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 samer678

samer678

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

Palmtracking is driving me crazy!

When I go to the settings in Mouse,   I find no option for configuring my Synaptics touchpad.

This isn't a drivers issue, the tab is there. The section is just missing any button for settings. Capture.png

Is there any way I can configure my settings? I tried registry but it doesn't seem to really work. Any suggestions will be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

I'd say this absolutely is a driver issue.

Go to your computer manufacturer's website, support pages for your specific machine, and download the latest software for the clickpad.  Then uninstall the device entirely from Control Panel, Device Manager, then run that latest software to reinstall.

I've actually never seen a device called a "ClickPad" before.  Here's what the Synaptics settings, same tab, looks like for the mousepad on my machine and it's exactly the same on my partner's, too, even though his laptop is an entirely different brand:

Attached File  Synaptics.jpg   64.36KB   0 downloads

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 samer6789

samer6789

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

I also have never seen this ClickPad tab before either, and I've scoured every inch of Google looking for a solution to this.

I actually attempted to install the drivers from the HP website (http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/hp/laptops-desktops/hp-probook-450-g0/41650) for my touchpad. The version I have is 19, on the website is 18.

What would happen is that there would be a settings button, but for whatever reason right clicking won't work. I mean the entire right side of the touchpad won't function; it won't even let me switch primary/secondary buttons. Frankly I'd choose not being able to move my cursor while pressing a button over losing the right click functionality.

Any ideas?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,482 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

The site you list is not the HP Support Site.  That will always start with http or https://support.hp.com

For my laptop:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-g000-notebook-pc-series/6545564/model/7345355

The mousepad driver for my machine would come from:  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73001-73500/sp73280.exe

driverscape and other third party driver websites should be avoided like the plague.  There is a reason that I stated to go directly to the manufacturer support pages for your device and download the appropriate software only from there.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 samer6789

samer6789

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

Whoops, pasted the wrong link. I meant to paste this: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-450-g4-notebook-pc/10477253
That earlier link was the first google result; it's why i pasted it here.

I've been there before and installed both drivers from there. One is the same version as the one that came pre-installed, and the other is a tiny update.

The issue still persists. :(

Edited by samer6789, 02 September 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,482 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

Have you disabled then uninstalled the device in Device Manager before reinstalling the new (even if it's new old) software?  This is often essential.

I even go the extra step of shutting down and restarting to see if the system will do a self-triggered hardware scan and complete the setup itself afterward.  If not I go into Device Manager and manually trigger a "Scan for new hardware."

Definitely try disabling and uninstalling in Device Manager before running the installer you download from HP's site.

#7 samer6789

samer6789

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

Uninstall, restart. Install new driver, restart. Tried this about 4 times for each version from each website (as you can see I'm quite desperate). issue persists/right click not working.

It wouldn't be so bad if I can find anyone else with the problem; others just don't have the entire tab and need to reinstall the drivers.

I have the tab, the issue is with the settings. I'm starting to wish my laptop came with Elan instead of Synaptics.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,482 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

OK, I'm going to ask one more time, just to clarify for myself:

Did you uninstall the DEVICE ITSELF in Device Manager?  [And you may have]

Uninstalling/reinstalling the device driver software is, upon rare occasion, not enough.  It is unclear to me if you intentionally made the operating system believe that the device itself was no longer present, first, before uninstalling the existing driver software, doing so through Programs and Features for good measure (as I've always seen the Synaptics Utility show up there).

Everything I'm seeing here suggests corruption of some kind and that this corruption is not being removed in its entirety before new software is installed, and the new software is using the corrupt bit from the previous installation.

I'm all out of ideas if you are absolutely certain that you have done a complete purge of the existing software prior to reinstalling.  The only other thing I could suggest is trying something like Revo Uninstaller on the Synaptics software before reinstalling again, which should definitely purge any trace from your system.  If that doesn't work then I'm absolutely out of ideas on this one.

#9 samer6789

samer6789

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

I would do this: image.png

If that's what you were suggesting, then I'll give HP forums a shot; until then, I'm stuck like this.

Thanks for following through this with me!

Edit: on a different thread I read that a possible solution is to change the registry key for Palmtracking.

I went here: image.png

Notice the key in the ribbon on the top.
Still no change but for whoever reads this in the future, it might work for you :thumbup2: :killcomp:

Edited by samer6789, 02 September 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,482 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

Yes, that's what I was suggesting.

I would also suggest that, after having done this, you open Control Panel, Programs and Settings, and uninstall the Synaptics software from there, then restart and install what you've downloaded.

If that doesn't work, download Revo Uninstaller, do the above two things, then fire up Revo and have it remove anything it finds only for Synaptics.  Then restart and repeat the install of the driver software.  (Also make sure the device is enabled again in Device Manager).

If the above does not work then I wish you luck on the HP forums or with having another BC member pop in here who knows something I don't, and there are plenty of those, but whether they know more about this particular issue is the question.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users