Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't stay connected to wifi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Summoner99

Summoner99

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

My new dell laptop will not stay connected to the wifi. It seems that every couple of minutes the WiFi will suddenly fail or whenever I try to load a webpage it will fail in that case as well. When this happens I get an option to run an automatic trouble shooter, which will typically allow it to access one webpage before it fails again. I do not k ow what I should do. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:47 PM

What is the make and model of this laptop?

How are you connecting to your modem?  wifi to router, router to modem?

Have you tried using an Ethernet cable to see if that works?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Summoner99

Summoner99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:09 PM

The model is inspiron 15-3565.

Yes exactly. Wifi to router to modem

What would that do for me? To my understanding (which is probably wrong), that will limit my ability to be mobile, which is the point of the laptop.

Also, I forgot to mention that no other devices on this network have issues with connectivity to wifi. It is just my laptop

Edited by Summoner99, 02 September 2017 - 01:09 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

This is part of the diagnostic process.  If the wifi isn't working to get online a Ethernet cable usually will still be a viable option.  We want to be able to tell if a signal is getting to the router and then the modem.  With a Ethernet cable you can connect directly to the modem to see if you can connect through the modem.  If you can use the Ethernet to get online but can't by connecting to the router via the Ethernet cable you would know that the router is the problems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Summoner99

Summoner99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

Ok. I will get back to you once I've done this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users