Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Search The Hidden Folders?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:23 AM

Hi, sometimes I get infected with viruses or spyware and I use ASO to search where the infections are hidden, for example in temporary internet files\content.ie5, However I can find the infection is because I have ASO, which provides an option to search any folders in my system, but I would not be able to find it with windows explorer, it does not show files such as content.ie5 unless I type the address onto the bar. I would like to know how make windows display those hidden files and folders, thanx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:49 AM

Go to your Control Panel,click Appearances and Themes/Folder Options/View Tab,under the Advanced Settings click on the radio button that says "Show Hidden Files and Folders" click Apply then Okay.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:51 AM

i know that option, however it still does not show folders such as the content.ie5 in temporary internet files.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:00 AM

If you do not know enough about the Windows XP op system to know how to display hidden files and folders and protected system files, or how to dump temp Internet folders, do yourself a great favor and stay out of them or you will find yourself trying to reinstall XP soon afterwards, if you even have a way to do so which not everyone has.

I also suggest that you do not use any "registry cleaner" or anything else that modifies of changes the registry unless you are fully literate in the registry and know how to repair what may be a registry change that has a deleterious effect.

The better way is to tell us what problems you are experiencing and allow us to assist you.

You also say,

sometimes I get infected with viruses or spyware

like that is something normal. It isn't, and there are ways to protect your computer from becoming infected in the first place.

What anti-virus program do you have running on your computer and how often are its definitions updated? Do they update at least on a daily basis automatically?

What anti-malware aps do you have resident and running? How often are they updated? How often do you scan with them and are any running in realtime like Spybot's Teatimer or Windows Defender?

#5 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:45 AM

My computer is not infected, and it certainly never will since I have bitdefender, spyware doctor, and ad-adware personal, and I use ASO(Advanced System Optimizer) to search for the hard to delete or hidden files, but I am just wondering how to find the files without using ASO.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:04 AM

Never is a very strong word to use. If you're accustomed to using ASO to remove problems - then it's likely that you're getting attacked on a regular basis. No software solution is 100% effective - and there is a chance that some of these things have sneaked by you and reside on your system right now.

I've been working with computers since the 1980's and am pretty knowledgable about their workings and the threats that they face - and I've been infected a few times over the years.

That being said, you'll have to uncheck the box that says "Hide protected operating system files" that's just under the Hidden files in TMack's description.

Be advised that by doing this you can hose your system beyond repair - so I'd recommend a regular backup/image program to protect your data and settings.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users