Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop not charging

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nielbak

Nielbak

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

Recently, I've been travelling abroad and whenever I plugged in the charger into a different socket, the PC was working slower than usual and wasn't charging the battery properly for like 15 minutes - after that it kind of worked as its supposed to.

020ddf1325196514e01d9077aa7a4369.png
   b85f05050de6750d14260787dbab2756.png3283f2a00ea6ba0bea71ff6a22abd03b.jpg
This didn't bother me much as I always saw this as a temporary problem. However as I moved into my college dorm room, this "plugged in, not charging" thing keeps bothering me for like 3 days already without a clue that its ever going to fix itself. The battery is slowly discharging, I am at 7% at this moment, the laptop works with a really bad performance and it doesn't even charge overnight when it is shut off. I tried a couple things to discover a few more "symptoms":
  • The laptop works without the battery with AC adapter alone, although with very poor performance.
  • Sometimes, it decides to charge for a random amount of time (2-3 hours) and works perfectly fine.
  • I have tried following a few tutorials, uninstalled a couple of things listed under "battery" from device manager, did everything as instructed but this laptop still refuses to work.

Edited by Al1000, 02 September 2017 - 07:12 AM.
moved from Win 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

Was this charging problem happening before moving into the dorm?

If not, I would suggest taking a multimeter and read the line voltage in the receptacle you are using to be sure there isn't a problem there.

If there is no problem there you should use the multimeter to read the output voltage of the power adapter.  There is a label on the adapter which shows the output voltage.

Let us know what you find.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Nielbak

Nielbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

As soon as I get my hands on a multimeter, I will inform You about the wattage values. Right now out of nowhere it started to charge again, most likely temporarily

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 585 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

dell supplies are different!

they usually have the middle pin 19v

then inside wall 19v

then outside wall ground.

one of the lines is a data line for communications of wattage and verify its a genuine dell power supply.

so be careful when measuring the inside pin if you short to the inside will kill the one of the voltages.

also dell supplies use an infrared detector inside the power connector that gets dirty, try blowing air into the power connector to clean it out and see if it starts detecting wattage and is charging again.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

then inside wall 19v

one of the lines is a data line for communications of wattage and verify its a genuine dell power supply.

so be careful when measuring the inside pin if you short to the inside will kill the one of the voltages.

also dell supplies use an infrared detector inside the power connector that gets dirty, try blowing air into the power connector to clean it out and see if it starts detecting wattage and is charging again.

Not quite accurate there.  Dell did have proprietary PSU built for some of their computers.  These did not adhere to the ATX standards, different dimensions, different pinout of the 24 pin connector.  But they also use ATX PSUs made for them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

It sounds to me like a power supply (external, in the case of a laptop) on its way out.

If you're doing the multimeter checks do them when you're getting the message, not when things appear to be normal.

The state of your charge or battery should have nothing to do with "performance" on the machine itself.  It either has enough juice to function or it doesn't (unless your machine has a feature that allows it to intentionally and selectively disable things once the battery goes below a certain percentage, and usually your charge icon will show something like a leaf on it).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 585 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

then inside wall 19v

Not quite accurate there.  Dell did have proprietary PSU built for some of their computers.  These did not adhere to the ATX standards, different dimensions, different pinout of the 24 pin connector.  But they also use ATX PSUs made for them.

I'm talking about an external power adapter for a laptop, not an atx power supply!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

While doing my best Gilda Radner imitation... "never mind". :hysterical:

#9 Nielbak

Nielbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

Moved back to hometown for a weekend, and with no surprise the problem repeated again. And before moving out from the dorm, the charger seemed to be working quite properly since I posted my last message here. Well, at least it used to work as I am sitting in my dorm room, typing this message while laptop barely runs on the 6% battery while not charging itself.

I think that the problem is that the AC adapter is having issues recognizing different socket inputs it is being provided - takes about 3 days to finally start charging.

I am 90% sure that its the charger that is causing this problem, not my laptop. I tested my pc with friend's Dell charger and it worked perfectly fine like its supposed to so it obviously draws me to this conclusion.

Getting a new AC adapter should fix this problem, unless someone may tell me otherwise right now - I will be waiting for anyone's input. I thank everyone for the help I was provided!

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

Nielbak,

That sounds like the best idea.   The only thing that would improve on it, and that's if you can do it, is if you could borrow someone else's charger that has the same output specifications and connector that yours does for a couple of hours to determine if your laptop behaves exactly as you'd expect while running and/or charging on it.

Third-party power supplies are available and tend to work as well as the OEM ones in my experience if you're looking to save expenses when sourcing a replacement.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

A dirty jack or socket can play tricks on you!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users