Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Security extension

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

Hi there, does anybody knows a good security extension to keep me safe from the bad things on the internet

i already use:

Adblock Plus and Fanboy complete adblock list and Do-not-Track me enabled.

or

Should i use uBlock origin and block 3rd scripts and 3rd frames? 

Help me :)

-cheers Brent

Edited by Doghen, 02 September 2017 - 06:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:04 AM

uninstall ABP, install uBO (you can keep default lists, they are good enough) and disable 3rd party frames

a warning : disabling 3rd party frames will break *some* websites

Besides, this won't keep you *safe* on the internet, ad blocker is just a supplement against drive-by's and malvertising. I suggest you use Chrome if this concerns you, its sandbox is able to stop most of crap that tries to come in, combined with a good AV. 

From my personal experience I recommend Avast, Eset or Windows Defender. 

Also don't fall for security extensions (like ones that some AV's install), it's a meme and it won't help, not even a bit. It actually weakens security. 

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 02 September 2017 - 07:06 AM.

#3 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:12 AM

Hey there Daniel, i already use Google Chrome but i will switch to Microsoft edge (over a year or 2 when its a stable browser) 

and i heard about uBlock origin, but i de-select de default filters and use only Fanboy ultimate List.. and disable 3rd scripts and 3rd frames but should i disable do-not-track because ublock origin blocks most network requests that have ads, trackers in it, and Fanboy ultimate list blocks ads, trackers to. :o and why do you recommend me uBlock?

and Fanboy ultimate List blocks CSS Toolbars, but i don't know what CSS Toolbars are.. xD and i will disable Malware domains (Filters) in uBlock because i try that out and did not work.. but i think i would be safe with Chrome and uBlock plus :) but should i try Microsoft Edge or stay by Chrome? because i don't know anymore wich to choose.. :/ for (security)

-cheers Brent

Edited by Doghen, 02 September 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#4 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

Do not track does not make any difference on uBO functioning properly.

About switching to Edge - it has some nice features but it is some ways behind Chrome and Firefox and it is likely that when it finally catches up to their current state then FF and Chrome will once again be better in something else.

Disabling 3rd party scripts is an overkill, it will break almost every site, blocking frames is enough. 

I recommend uBO because it is faster than ABP and offers more functions (like selectively blocking scripts, images and frames right from its GUI without the need to create specific filters) and it is not owned by an ad company lol

I think that default settings are *generally* the best since they were preselected by the dev and I assume that he knows the filter lists better than we both do and has decided that the ones that are checked by default offer best perf / adblock effectiveness ratio possible. 

I have already tried Edge and it lacks basic features like non-crappy text downsampling (just try opening a bunch of random websites on chrome and edge simultaneously and compare them, you'll notice that text looks jagged in Edge) 

Stability ( it crashed on my computer every now and then and loaded certain parts of websites like videos slower than chrome ) 

and general compliance with modern web standards.

Not to mention that I can't open uBO GUI on Edge properly and it crashes, but I am not sure if it's not uBO dev's fault. 

But I would bet that it's not.

Really, the only noticeable thing that Edge is better at compared to Chrome is its GUI, it looks very neat. But if you can't stand that ugly shining toolbar on top of Chrome (me neither) then apply this theme, it is dark and looks nice. | https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/material-incognito-dark-t/ahifcnpnjgbadkjdhagpfjfkmlapfoel |

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 02 September 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#5 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

Hmm thanks than i will just leave the Selected filters :) but i also enabled 'prevent WebRTC from Leaking your ...' and i use the Google chrome pop-up blocker and the pop-up blocker from uBlock to block most pop-ups that is filled with ads and crap.. :) and sometimes my filter lists go over the 150.000 is that bad? :o

-Cheers brent!

#6 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

If websites load reasonably fast ( >5 sec) then you can safely assume that it's fine.

#7 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

and what if its take longer to load what do i need to do than? and i just leave all the filters enabled also the 2 selected malware domains :) 

#8 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:25 PM

Well it's your choice - increasing the amount of filters = increasing the amount of time it takes to load a webpage

So if websites are loading too slow then just delete a few filters

However, you are fine under 200k 

#9 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

But these are the default filters? so when they reached one of them the 200k i just to empty the cache and re-update the filters? and the 2 malware domains are default selected filters by Dev :)

-cheers Brent

#10 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

http://prntscr.com/gg9gsv

Highlighted text is the total number of filters (individual domains) in all of the filter lists.

If you want to lower the number then you have to delete them, not update them. You can delete them by unchecking the tickboxes and then clicking "apply". 

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Security is all about layers and not depending on any one solution, technology or approach to protect yourself from cyber-criminals. The most important layer is you...the first and last line of defense. Security begins with personal responsibility and includes a comprehensive approach. Common sense, safe browsing habits, understanding security and following Best Practices for Safe Computing are all essential to protecting yourself from malware infection. That includes educating oneself as to the most common ways malware infection is delivered and propagated.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

Daniel, please help me i'm confused..

What line that i marked needs to pay attention on when it reached the 150.000

Line 1 or 2.. 

and when it reached the 150.000 can i still use these (filter) again when i delete it? 

-cheers brent

https://prnt.sc/gghr3d

Edited by Doghen, 03 September 2017 - 06:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users