Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Opinions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:45 AM

Hey, welp i'm about to build myself a computer, and i'm working on bang for my buck, so far i'm really interested in this motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813135011

In my opinion, the most important part to the computer is the motherboard. So i'm thinking about this as being my good start. Since it's relatively cheap, and though it only has two pci slots (this means a graphic card (maybe) and my card bus (which i'll install my network card and maybe another type of card.) ) it allows for ddr2, and though i only have two memory slots I can still find probably enough to get what i want for the money i'm willing to spend, I also like the idea of it being able to run amdx2 though i hear it's not as good as the intel duo, it should still be able to have enough power for me. On this computer I plan on installing linux, which means compatibility is going to be depressing. going to get a ata100 harddrive, so that's not a problem. I just need to get the bang for my buck, and i'm wondering if this motherboard is probably my best option for starting.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

For starting, yes, thats a good mobo. But, once you get all BIOS savvy and realize that you cant do anything using that mobo, then it'll be a real bummer. I'd suggest getting a mobo that is atleast under $100, if your budget allows it, or maybe even $150. I know youre thinking "Why do I need to get something so expensive?" Trust me, when your motherboard craps out on you and the company has the best customer suppprt and you bought that extended warranty, you wont regret it. But... thats only my 2 cents.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Gyro

Gyro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:50 PM

True, but from what i read from reviews, it seems compatible with a lot of devices, I mean so far the only thing that has a problem with it, is anything that's ata100 or less, the only reason I see it priced so cheap is because of the pci slots... or lack there of. Can you recommend a specific motherboard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users