Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No keyboard detected - completely locked out of pc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 krazyplonk

krazyplonk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:44 AM

* i5 7600k
* Asus Strix Z270i
* R9 Nano
* Samsung 960 Evo
* Corsair CX750M
* Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro L White
* Coolermaster Mastermouse S

Tried to boot into my PC like I do everyday to find that my keyboard and mouse weren't working during boot or when windows has loaded up - I was stuck on the lock screen. After trying every usb port on the PC with 3 other USB keyboards (one of which is very old), I decided to try my external USB hard drive, which powered on but seemed to be stuck running all the time. I also tried my xbox one controller via a microusb cable which previously caused a rumble and the logo to light up. The controller rumbled like normal but did not light up. 

Here is a list of everything I have tried:

* Unplugging everything from the PC except the 1 keyboard. Tried each keyboard in every USB port
* Reseating graphics card
* Reseating ram into both ram slots
* Unplugging and replugging every single cable into the motherboard and power supply

* Booting from USB

* Booting from different hard drive with every other drive unplugged

* Running keyboard through a powered usb hub then into the pc

Nothing was working so I decided to clear the CMOS. It now no longer boots into windows, instead getting stuck at boot where it says:

"Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting.
NO keyboard detected!
When RAID configuration was built, ensure to set SATA configuration to RAID mode.
Press F1 to run SETUP"

I have never done any work with RAID on this machine and it still displays the RAID message with both my secondary SSD and HDD unplugged.

I have repeated each of the previous steps and still no keyboard will be detected.

This build was working for a few months before the problem started. I had switched in the Samsung 960 Evo 2/3 days before, replacing my 240gb PNY SSD, but worked completely fine for those days.

My motherboard does not have a PS2 connector so I can't even use my old PS2 keyboards to fix it.

Please help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:09 AM

I would replace the CMOS battery first, then try to boot into BIOS and see if it can be accessed.  If so, I would restore the default settings, save...and see if all works   When a CMOS battery fails...strange things are prone to happen with all hardware items...I have seen error messages re RAM, KB, and so on...replacing the CMOS battery rectified the situation..

If not, I would swap out the PSU...only need a replacement for a few minutes so that should be quick and easy.

Louis

#3 krazyplonk

krazyplonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:21 AM

I would replace the CMOS battery first, then try to boot into BIOS and see if it can be accessed.  If so, I would restore the default settings, save...and see if all works   When a CMOS battery fails...strange things are prone to happen with all hardware items...I have seen error messages re RAM, KB, and so on...replacing the CMOS battery rectified the situation..

If not, I would swap out the PSU...only need a replacement for a few minutes so that should be quick and easy.

Louis

Thank you very much for this. I hadn't even thought of it being a CMOS battery issue but looking online for symptoms it matches quite a few problems I have had in the past few days leading up to this! I will get a new CMOS battery on order and update you in a day or two

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users