Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:49 AM

I have not been able to remedy my Internet Explorer freezing up when I go to MSN e-mail. I am using Firefox most of the time, but feel the need for IE sometimes. It would seem to indicate a corrupted browser--says HP.

I got SP2 on cd...and I am thinking I need to uninstall and reinstall to correct this. Does anyone have any advice about this process? I know I need to to create a system restore point...but, other than that?

Will someone please respond? I've been trying to get help with this...people have looked at my posts but nobody has responded. :thumbsup:
noonytunes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 05:19 AM

Hi Nooney,

Peruse this thread on my experience of "pothole patching" the XP2 upgrade.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...481&hl=pothole#

Then look at Phawggs experience with reloading the XP system and updating.

Make your best guess after overviewing Phawggs post or check back in with the "Pros's" thereafter....

regards,
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for responding, Koan. It looks like I'm going to have to get my concentration level par for this task. Now where did I put that cd? :thumbsup:
noonytunes

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 01:23 PM

hey, noonytunes. I suggest lowering the concentration level just a wee bit. Here's why. SP2 installation from CD is relatively painless & does not require that you check out posts that involve two ways I've done it, although information can be gotten that way, it is laborious to plow through it I'm afraid. Sorry.
  • Installation itself will give you the latest IE. v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180). Probably correct your present problem in doing so.
  • The action of system restore has me kinda puzzled. I installed SP2 off CD onto a friend's laptop yesterday. I had system restore on. A couple restore points existed. Today I have only one restore point, set by system yesterday. None today. I have also done it with system restore off. Same outcome.
  • You should backup all files you want to keep. You will be prompted to do so.
The role of system restore isn't that mysterious though. Changes made by SP2 would mean you shouldn't go back anyway, without first uninstalling the service pack... if you chose to... for obvious reasons. It kinda looks like that option may not exist, though. The installation will provide uninstall files (about 300MB worth) that you can delete at some point in the future when you decide there is no reason to go back. It seems like you should expect to be able to go back to the point at which SP2 was loaded, only.

Practical considerations prior to installation should include:
  • just exit all programs & browsersl, like you would installing any major software, to avoid conflicts.
  • There is no reason to be online while doing it
  • It takes less than a few hours all told to accomplish it.
  • Once finished, follow the prompts & do a couple few reboots for good measure.
  • Start your programs one at a time if you want a good check of how they work.
  • There are issues with certain software... Norton comes to mind, and CD burning software, also.
  • Run all your scans before you do it, to be rid of malware. Thats the biggest problem with updating, having crapware block it's intentions.
  • Information about them might be favorable to have ahead of time to be forewarned of what to expect, or what kinds of issues might develop.
  • That info is at windows updates & of course is becoming available elsewhere, also
BTW, about backups. These basic areas come to mind:
  • Your data
  • Your downloads
  • Any offline webpages
  • Bookmarks & Favorites
  • Cookies
Please remember that it's just a precaution. no data loss is intended by the service pack, and it's doubtful you'll have a problem. You probably will experience no substantial modification of any of those basic areas.

Hope it helps. :thumbsup: The jury is still out on it, I'm afraid. Tomorrow I expect 6 more updates to it from windows, also.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 02:35 PM

Well HP also said my browser (IE) was corrupted after the install of SP2!

I say throw the cd in the fire and wait till microsoft gets there act straight. Of course it wont work with all programs somethings conflict but conflicting with its cousin now come on Microsoft!

My opinion my experience

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 05:15 PM

There is also this tutorial to read: How to Repair Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:29 AM

Thanks phawgg for your detailed instructions, and thank you cows for your 2 cents too. :thumbsup:
noonytunes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users