Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Tearing, Hardlocks, No BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yomommassis

Yomommassis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:54 PM

Hello everyone,

My current issue is that my rig is getting consistent audio tearing while playing games or during video playback, while gaming my rig will have audio tearing off and on maybe once every 30 minutes and then randomly the screen will freeze and then the monitors will lose signal..the audio will keep playing background music but all other sounds will stop and the only thing I can do is a hard reset

This rig has always seemed to have had an audio issue and crashing issue but now that I would like to take it more seriously I'm looking for help to diagnose the issue

I'm running Windows 10 64bit

I've tried a handful of different things with absolutely no results so I'm willing to try anything

I recently tried to do a driver verifier and the computer BSOD shortly after restarting with no dump file that I'm aware of..unless I did something wrong..which leads me to think its something driver related and no a memory issue that I was leaning towards before

I haven't fully ruled out bad memory, I have 8 DIMMS for a total of 64GB DDR3 but I am also mixing two identical 32GB patriot sets..so there is that also

I'm open to suggestions!! S.O.S.!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:21 AM

Wait until the error occurs again, then recover from it and generate these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Yomommassis

Yomommassis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

Speccy Snapshot

Attached is the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp.zip and Admin.zip

Speccy shows my system drive as Intel Volume 0, its two Crucial MX300 240GB SSD in RAID0 using the motherboard controller

Speccy shows my ram frequency is lower than the XMP and much tighter timings, I've tried various different voltages, frequencies, and timings including XMP including taking out a 32GB ram set and it still hard locks (if it is memory related) so as much as id like to say the memory settings are stable the thing hardlocks soooo not sure

Should I post temps? I'm using a Corsair 750D Airflow with a Corsair H115i AIO in performance mode and a 1080 Hybrid, HD Sentinel was showing some drives getting upwards of 41C but that was largely due to the ambient temps of the room so I recently installed an AC unit in the room, the computer hard reset yesterday and they was with a cool room of 74F

Unless I didn't apply the thermal compound adequately and my corsair link (and when I used AI Suite) are not reporting accurate temps

Thank you!

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the reports.
FWIW - I like to test systems with standard (stock) settings.  My thoughts here are that a system is designed to work at stock settings, so troubleshooting should be done there in order to rule out any problems caused by the settings.  Then, once the system is troubleshot and fixed using standard settings - then one can introduce the modified settings and see how they function on a system that has no issues with stock settings.

In general, I only look for temps that are over 70ºC.  If you're confident in your abilities to spot any overheating issues without posting the temps, feel free to do so.

I'd still appreciate you letting us know of any temps over 70ºC.  It's not a critical temp, but it does give us something to think about.

Nothing of note (that I can see) in the Admin logfile.

I noticed that you have USB audio - which sometimes causes problems similar to this (I don't normally work with user-mode stuff, and even less frequently work with USB hardware devices - so this is just a guess on my part). 

Is it possible to uninstall it's software and physically disconnect the device from your system?

This will help to tell if that's the cause or not.  Just test it long enough to if the problem recurs.  Feel free to reinstall it once the testing is done.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 4901) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

You have 7 or 8 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?
The purpose of this question is to get you to evaluate your PSU.
- PSU's tend to get less efficient with age
- adding components over time may decrease the ability of the PSU to support the entire system (Maybe remove some stuff to see if that helps?)
- while you can measure the output of a PSU with a multimeter, the readings may change dramatically when the PSU is put under load.
- there's a free PSU test in the OCCT program at http://www.ocbase.com/
If uncertain, disconnect a bunch of them and any other unneeded stuff (both the data and power cables) and see if that helps.

Beyond that, I don't see much in the reports - but as the OS has been recently reinstalled, there's not much to see.
If what I suggested with the USB device doesn't help, then I'd suggest posting over in the Windows 10 forums for further assistance.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Yomommassis

Yomommassis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

TLDR: The rig doesn't seem have audio tearing anymore, I was able to game for a good five hours without any sign of tearing and no hardlock

Finding proper ram settings for 8 DIMM DDR3 quad channel seems difficult to find documentation on, I've read that it needs to be lower frequency and looser timings, I'll fitts with it more after

My temps only show to go upwards of 52°C while gaming consistently

Unfortunately 4901 is the latest bios version for my mobo, my rig is circa 2013 and is an older 2011 socket

Windows updates reports system is up to date

I uninstalled the USB audio device, unplugged it, reset all ram and voltage settings to auto, activated integrated audio, played for about 30 minutes with no sign of audio issues..

Which is awesome, but then to figure out what fixed it because I would like to use my USB audio device for my XLR mic

So I disabled my integrated audio, reinstalled my USB audio device but this time I plugged it into my USB 3.0 instead of USB 2.0 as well as in the control panel for the device set 48000 instead of 44200
No tearing

Set 44200
No tearing

Repatched USB audio device to the original USB 2.0 configuration and after about 10 minutes I was experiencing tearing...
I can troubleshoot it more but it seems having the USB audio device on my USB 2.0 was the culprit, not sure if it was a specific controller

So I set it up on USB 3.0, XMP profile with some voltage tweaks, and overclocked my CPU and was able to game for a long time straight yesterday without any issues

I'll keep an eye out for anything suspicious and am kinda curious what exactly was the issue with my USB 2.0 to cause the entire system to hardlock but it seems my rig is A Okay!

Thank you!

Edited by Yomommassis, 06 September 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

Glad to hear that you've figured it out.
Thanks for letting us know - it'll help others who come looking for help with similar problems!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users