Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to upgrade a prebuilt gaming pc (first time ugrading)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tacosavior321

tacosavior321

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:06 PM

Processor                 Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
Manufacturer            Intel
Speed                       3.2 GHz
Number of Cores      4
RAM                         8.0 GB
Video Card               NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Chipset                     GeForce GTX 760
Dedicated Memory   2.0 GB
Total Memory            4.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version      5.0
Vertex Shader Version    5.0

Motherboard                   alienware A11

So Above are the specs to my computer i bought off a guy from ebay a few years ago 3 i think. its in a medium-ish size case with room to spare for bigger parts (will post pics if i figure out how) 

My question is based on what what the stats my computer has now what should i upgrade to be able to run mostly any modern day game like Destiny 2 and fallout for example.

i dont have much of a price range to say id rather keep it below 200 per part if possible 

Note: im not too sure on my video card it says its a gtx 760 on my specs but the physical drive itself says its one of those gaming g series and looks like this http://www.overclock.net/products/msi-nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-gaming-oc-4gb-gddr5-2dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-express-video-card-n760-tf-4gd5-oc

not sure if that means anything but just trying to cover all my bases if anyone can help itll be much appreciated !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SupaSped

SupaSped

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

Well, the i7-920 uses the LGA1366 socket, so unless you go for a higher performance i7 of the same generation (which, in my opinion, isn't worth it), you'll need to get a new motherboard as well (which most likely won't be possible with an Alienware). What would be more worth your money is a GPU upgrade. A GTX 1060 is about the best value right now, with ''significantly better'' performance than a 760. RAM-wise, 8GB should be fine for most games, but some games are starting to break through this barrier, so consider moving up to 16GB relatively soon (maybe by the end of the year). Also, on the subject of your current GPU, the base card is a GTX 760, but a company called MSI improved upon the base design with better cooling, power delivery, etc. enabling it to reach higher overclocks at lower temperatures. These types of cards are very common amongst gamers and system builders.

Hope this helps ;)

#3 tacosavior321

tacosavior321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:50 PM

Thank you! You've given me more help than anyone by far

#4 SupaSped

SupaSped

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

Glad I could be of service. Good luck with your build!

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:17 AM

Concur with GTX1060(6 GB), it's a very nice upper mid range card...but still pricey last time I checked.

Next big upgrade would be CPU/MB/RAM... Most folks, if gaming. for gaming are choosing between either R5-1600 based rig, or jumping all the way to the 7700K at about $100-$150 more system cost. If planning on gaming while streaming, and lots of rendering/encoding, I'd start (and possibly end) the search at R7-1700, frankly.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

If the 1060 is still high in prices in your area you may wish to go with a 1050Ti

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users