Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update an HP Stream notebook

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

This device is an HP Stream notebook, model 11-r050sa running 64 bit Win 10 Home.

It's owner cannot get it to update Windows despite being nagged by MS so he passed it on to me - 'You know more about computers, Chris !'.  The trouble is I cannot get it to update either. Currently it is running Build 10240 which I believe is the original 1507 RTM version back in 2015

This device can best be described as a crossover between a tablet and a laptop - it has the form of a laptop and the specs of a tablet. The HD has a capacity of 28 GB and there is about 500 MB free. With more sweat I can almost certainly free up perhaps another 1GB but this comes nowhere near the 8GB of free space it says it needs for the update.

It has no optical drive and one each USB 2 and 3 sockets. After playing around with it for a while I decided to try booting from a USB, I had just made up a Win 10 1703 stick to try this. It didn't work as obviously USB is not the first boot priority so I tried to get into the Bios. After a couple of efforts using the obvious buttons a Google search suggested 'Esc' + 'F10' but this didn't get me there. So . . .

How do I get into the BIOS/UEFI on this miserable device ?  Or . .

Is there an easier way to get it to accept an update ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:04 PM

Chris,

Straight "Esc" presses about once per second is what brings up UEFI on every UEFI equipped HP I've dealt with.  Just make sure that "Fast Startup" is off if you're using "Shut Down" or else use Restart.

When "Fast Startup" is on you'll never get UEFI to come up if you use "Shut Down" and fire up the system again.  I also think you can ensure a true, full shut down by using the long key press of the power button.

P.S.  Were I you I would definitely transfer a goodly sized chunk of data off to external storage before trying the update.

Edited by britechguy, 01 September 2017 - 06:05 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

If Esc does not work see method 2.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-password/four-methods-to-access-uefi-bios-setup.html

#4 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 806 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:16 PM

Or a slightly simpler variation on John's method would be to do this:

1. Open your Start Menu and click the power button.
  2. Hold Shift on your keyboard and click Restart.
  3. Click Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options.
  4. Click UEFI Firmware Settings.

Sasschary

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,754 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

'Esc' works and I have successfully changed the boot order to USB first.

I haven't gone beyond that yet because he has McAffee A/V on this and MS Office and I wanted to contact him to make sure he had the authorisation codes before I got drastic and even did a refresh install. Now that I know he has the codes I am minded to do a clean install of 1703. I know 1710 is on its way but I am not willing to have this fairly useless piece of kit cluttering up my workspace until then !

What really bothers me is that he has a conventional laptop and when I called at his house to pick up the charger for the Stream he said 'There's a problem with the laptop, but that can wait until you have sorted that notebook !'  It seems likely I am not going to run out of gin in the near future !

Still, this has been a good dummy run. I have said elsewhere I teach computing as a volunteer to a mainly elderly audience and one of them has a Windows tablet which also needs updates !

But thanks for all the advice.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:05 PM

Chris,

If you are willing to do me a favor, please have a look at Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file then see if you can *re*install 1703 using this method and using the "Keep apps and files" option.

I have never understood why Microsoft has not incorporated the "Keep apps and files" option into the Reset feature.  I'm grateful for the ease with which Windows 10 can be reinstalled, but the fact that (so far as I know) it's only when you're updating a version using the above noted method that you have the "Keep apps and files" option.  I've been very curious as to whether that will present itself if one is trying to reinstall using the ISO method.  If it does, that will become my default reinstallation method since it saves a heck of a lot of effort reinstalling software.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,754 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

Brian,

I am beginning to feel like Alice - 'Curiouser and curiouser !'. 

Having checked with the owner who assures me has the install data for his applications I then went and tried to install Win 10 1703 and got as far as a screen which showed four partitions but said they were in the wrong order !  That was using the 'GPT schene for UEFI' on the installer which wouldn't go past this screen. So I grabbed another memory stick and set that up as MBR scheme for UEFI. This just failed to go anywhere.

So, Linux Mint. Run live and wipe all the partitions and meld them all into one which totals 29.1 GB on the assumption that Win 10 can create whatever partitions it wants in whatever order it wants.

So running the 'MBR schene for UEFI' installer I get to a screen which shows one partition - Drive 0 Partition 1 - then when I click 'Next' I get the error message 'We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one'.

I then shut down and started again with the GPT scheme, to get the same error message 'We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one'.

I am obviously doing something wrong but I have no idea what.

I wonder if the owner of this device would appreciate a Linux box ?  After all, if all he uses it for is web-browsing and playng music/vids he shouldn't really notice the difference and it is a damn sight easier to maintain !  Come to think of it, there isn't much more he can do with it !

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Porthos

Porthos

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

That stream will never upgrade because it does not have the space on the drive for the windows.old folder it needs to create for the upgrade. 

You will need a sdcard or a blank usb drive to give it the space for the windows.old creation. 

Edited by Porthos, 04 September 2017 - 08:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users