Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wav file went from 8.44 mb to 0 bytes. is it gone?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 iamnothing

iamnothing

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

Hey everyone,

I was trying to repair a corrupted wav file that I had on an SD card.  I was using Audacity to attempt this repair.  I was not able to copy and/or move it from the SD card to the desktop, for example, so as I was using Audacity I would access the file through the d drive. I was unsuccessful in repairing it.  As I was about to give up I noticed that the file no longer was 8.44 mb but now was reading 0 bytes.  I looked through the recycle bin and did not find it. I am unsure how the file went from 8 to 0.  

I did a little looking around online and tried a chkdsk repair of the SD card but now the Audio folder on the card is just a single file, not a folder as it was before.  Does anybody have any suggestions as to if this original 8.44 mb wav file is still in existence?  I am sure that I did not delete it. But now I am thinking that the chkdsk reordered the files?  

Looking forward to speaking with any of you!  Thanks so much. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

If the wav file still resides on the SD card it may be able to be recovered. 

Download Testdisk and unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. 7.1 is Beta but is stable.  Run PhotoRec in the unzipped folder. Do not use QPhotoRec as it's not as powerful.

See the following PhotoRec step by step. Any files recovered will have a generic name. You will need to rename the file. You can choose which files extensions to recover under Folder Options.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

The device designation for you SD card may be sdb or possible sdc depending on how many drives the computer has. Make sure you are dealing with the correct drive. All files are recovered in real time to the unzipped folder of Testdisk.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

I suspect that this file is gone but it might be worth your while trying to run Recuva - a free download from BC - on this SD card. Recuva is a very effective file recovery application, it has saved my bacon on at least three occasions. Just remember to point the 'Save' function of Recuva at somewhere on your hard drive than the SD card itself.

All recovery software has the best chance of working if you haven't written anything to the drive between discovering the loss and trying to recover missing files. Having run ChkDsk your chances of successful recovery are probably reduced but it is worth trying anyway.

Chris Cosgrove

The woman in my life is dragging me away for the weekend coming. PMs may not be answered as quickly as usual.

#4 iamnothing

iamnothing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:42 PM

JohnC and Chris,

Thanks so much!  I am going to try what you suggested and will post back to the thread.

#5 iamnothing

iamnothing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

Hey guys,

I ran Recuva and found a file that would roughly match the date it was created.  Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the file is labeled _ILE.003 and is only 2kb.  Could this be a wav file that was originally 8 mb?  Again, I apologize if this is a stupid question.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,563 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:41 PM

That could be the file but because of the size it will not work. I believe Recuva can detect the correct file name so I doubt this is your file. 

I would try PhotoRec and see if it recovers anything. Remember to select only wav in the file options or PhotoRec will recover every file on the SD card.

#7 iamnothing

iamnothing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:44 PM

JohnC_21,

Thanks for the response!! I started with PhotoRec and was a little overwhelmed, so I thought I would try Recuva first. I am going to try it now, with the links you provided.  Thanks so much, and I will post back soon. 

#8 iamnothing

iamnothing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:50 PM

JohnC_21,

PhotoRec recovered 229 files, but I'm not out of the woods yet.  I have some other questions I hope you might be able to answer.  The wav files do not have sound when I play them.  They do open and the time counter runs, but I do not hear anything.  I have tried windows media player, vlc, and final media player.

Also, the wav files are named differently than they were when originally on the SD card.  Because of that I don't know if I have recovered the file that I was originally hoping to repair through Audacity.  As an example the wav files are named as f followed by seven numbers f0958915.

I guess I should start with why I don't hear anything from the wav file, and if need be I will go through each one until I find the correct one.  Any suggestion as to why I don't hear anything or what to do next?  Thanks so much.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,563 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

Yes, PhotoRec will recover all files with Generic names and unfortunately you have to open the file to determine what the name should be assigned to the file. As far as why the sound is not playing I can not answer that, sorry. I am assuming you can play other known good wav files fine, correct?

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

Does any waveform appear if you load a file into Audacity? If the file is accepted as a .WAV format, but Audacity doesn't show you tracks containing a waveform, then it's likely the SD card is not returning any data from the address locations belonging to that file. That would probably indicate the card's flash ram has failed, and there would be nothing else really you could do beyond try expensive professional recovery, which still may not be successful.

Edited by Platypus, 02 September 2017 - 08:17 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 iamnothing

iamnothing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:48 PM

Hey guys,

I first wanted to thank everyone for their help. I AM able to play wav files in general.  I am not all that familiar with Audacity.  This is this the first time I am actually using it.  I have opened a known "good" wav file, looked at the waveform and compared it to the recovered waveform.  The recovered waveforms do not look similar, but there IS a waveform there.   In the Audacity player I can hear sound, unlike when played in VLC or Windows Media Player.  It is hard to describe what I am hearing.  It is not white noise and/or static. But it is certainly not the interview that was originally recorded.  

Not sure what to try next. Maybe posting to the Audacity forums?   Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Again thanks so much to JohnC for suggesting Photorec, and I hope to hear from anyone soon.

Edited by iamnothing, 02 September 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,563 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

I think your best bet now would be the Audacity forums as you posted. Please post back an update if you have the time.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

Audacity is a great little program !  If you use the magnify function button to expand the track so that the width of your screen equals 2 minutes or less you will see that the waveforms for speech and music are quite different - speech is much more 'jagged' with small gaps of near silence. Music tends to have a fairly constant signal level.

From all that has been said so far I fear that this track is gone. I just hope this interview wasn't too important, or can you re-record it off some other medium - radio, internet ?

Chris Cosgrove

I have just noticed that I said 'Noise has a more constant signal'. What I meant to say was 'Music'

CC

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 03 September 2017 - 05:22 PM.

The woman in my life is dragging me away for the weekend coming. PMs may not be answered as quickly as usual.

#14 iamnothing

iamnothing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:29 PM

Hey guys,

I just wanted to thank everyone again.  I think I am going to sign up for the forum over at Audacity and do some research online. I would never have gotten this far without you all.  If the mods need to close this thread, I completely understand.  Otherwise I will post back if I get any results.  Thanks again!!

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:13 AM

A topic is normally left open so it can be returned to later or someone else can respond.

You can try importing the raw data into Audacity and experiment to see if the problem is a lost file header by re-saving the file.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-repair-a-corrupt-wav-file

The video below shows the process in Audacity:

Always work on a copy of the file so you don't do anything to make the original worse.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users