Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Puppy Error loading player Slacko 6.3

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

Mike after Puppy sitting idle I got this message. Have NO idea what this means?
The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS
partition and returned this error message:
Failed to write lock '/dev/sda1': Resource temporarily unavailable
Error opening '/dev/sda1': Resource temporarily unavailable
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Resource temporarily unavailable

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used
to mount the partition read-only.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#47 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

I can tell you exactly what it means.

It means that when you 'shut Windows down', it hasn't really shut down; it's hibernating instead. Because of this, the OS is, to all intents and purposes, still 'mounted'.....and therefore inaccessible to Linux.

Linux needs to mount it in its own way to be able to read it, or make changes to it.....and to do so, it needs to start from the 'unmounted' state.  Any Linux distro can read from, or write to, the Windows NTFS file-system. Windows, on the other hand, refuses to recognise anything except itself. Or FAT32-formatted external drives. If you present Windows with a Linux-formatted file-system, it doesn't even 'see' it.

As far as Windows is concerned, it's the centre of the universe. Why would you want to use anything else?

This is why you get that message. Linux has attempted to mount the Windows partition, and failed.....because Windows hasn't fully shut down. 

It doesn't affect the way Puppy runs.

-------------------------------------------------------

Now, then; Chrome.

Grab yourself a copy of this from my MediaFire cloud account:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mu8lkgyamznmv12/Google_Chrome-48.0.2564.116-i386.pet

This is the newest version of Chrome you'll be able to run on Tahrpup.....because even though you've got a 64-bit CPU, you're running a 32-bit operating system. You can't run 64-bit packages on a 32-bit system, I'm afraid.....which limits you to this final 32-bit version. Google quit producing a 32-bit Chrome after this release; they only produce 64-bit versions now.

This version is perfectly OK to use; I use it myself. I'm posting from it now, in fact.

To access it, click the 'files' icon on the desktop (top left corner). This opens ROX at your 'home' folder, which for Puppy is /root. Open your Downloads folder, and the Chrome .pet package should be there. Click on it once (no double-clicks in Puppy, only single-clicks); you'll be asked if you want to install the package. Click 'Yes', and it will install itself. It won't take long, either.

Before you use it for the first time, make sure PepperFlash (Flash Player) is up-to-date. I produce .pet packages to keep this up-to-date for the community. Download the Chrome 32-bit Pepper .pet from here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/aijedv8cvddk4ey/Chrome-PepperFlash-26.0.0.151-i386.pet

This is the newest version. Again; into your Downloads folder, click to install.

Now, you can launch Chrome. Menu->Internet->Chrome browser.

Have fun!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 08 September 2017 - 03:38 PM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#48 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:14 PM

I can tell you exactly what it means.

It means that when you 'shut Windows down', it hasn't really shut down; it's hibernating instead. Because of this, the OS is, to all intents and purposes, still 'mounted'.....and therefore inaccessible to Linux.

Linux needs to mount it in its own way to be able to read it, or make changes to it.....and to do so, it needs to start from the 'unmounted' state.  Any Linux distro can read from, or write to, the Windows NTFS file-system. Windows, on the other hand, refuses to recognise anything except itself. Or FAT32-formatted external drives. If you present Windows with a Linux-formatted file-system, it doesn't even 'see' it.

As far as Windows is concerned, it's the centre of the universe. Why would you want to use anything else?

This is why you get that message. Linux has attempted to mount the Windows partition, and failed.....because Windows hasn't fully shut down. 

It doesn't affect the way Puppy runs.

-------------------------------------------------------

Now, then; Chrome.

Grab yourself a copy of this from my MediaFire cloud account:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mu8lkgyamznmv12/Google_Chrome-48.0.2564.116-i386.pet

This is the newest version of Chrome you'll be able to run on Tahrpup.....because even though you've got a 64-bit CPU, you're running a 32-bit operating system. You can't run 64-bit packages on a 32-bit system, I'm afraid.....which limits you to this final 32-bit version. Google quit producing a 32-bit Chrome after this release; they only produce 64-bit versions now.

This version is perfectly OK to use; I use it myself. I'm posting from it now, in fact.

To access it, click the 'files' icon on the desktop (top left corner). This opens ROX at your 'home' folder, which for Puppy is /root. Open your Downloads folder, and the Chrome .pet package should be there. Click on it once (no double-clicks in Puppy, only single-clicks); you'll be asked if you want to install the package. Click 'Yes', and it will install itself. It won't take long, either.

Before you use it for the first time, make sure PepperFlash (Flash Player) is up-to-date. I produce .pet packages to keep this up-to-date for the community. Download the Chrome 32-bit Pepper .pet from here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/aijedv8cvddk4ey/Chrome-PepperFlash-26.0.0.151-i386.pet

This is the newest version. Again; into your Downloads folder, click to install.

Now, you can launch Chrome. Menu->Internet->Chrome browser.

Have fun!

Thank YOU! Mike...
As my dear friend Bill Watson used to say. "this is the greatest thing since sliced bread."
Got Chrome all set.. What can I do to customize my desktop a little?
What is the best way to Shut down Puppy?from the Puppy Log Out window..is Shut Down adequate?
I feel like I'm flying with this new Puppy. I'm going to send you many Hugs and limitless Thank You's..
What else? If you don't mind me asking? what are your geographic's these days?
Cheers, Raphael
:thumbsup2:

#49 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

A plain 'shut-down' is fine from the Puppy Log Out window. There's nothing else to do, y'see; it's not as though there's multiple user accounts to close down.....there's only you.

As for customizing, well; the world's your oyster with Linux. In all honesty, the best thing you can do at this point would be to visit the Puppy Linux Forums, here:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php

The Puppy community produces an awful lot of its own software packages; sometimes, major programs & apps re-packaged; quite a bit of it is written from scratch. And much of it is hosted by individual members on cloud-hosting accounts.

There's a huge section on 'Additional Software, including a large section entitled 'Eye Candy'! It's well worth visiting, and signing up. They're a great bunch on there; very welcoming, and extremely helpful.

It's entirely up to you, of course.

Just to show you what can be achieved, here's my desktop at the moment; I'm in Tahrpup 64 6.05. Graphic design's a long-standing hobby of mine; I do all my own desktops from scratch. The eclectic collection of icons has been culled from countless Google image searches over the years.....

qhRnOPQ.png

Just for inspiration, like..!  :)

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 08 September 2017 - 05:13 PM.

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#50 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

Dear Mike,

Thank YOU!!!

I will look into the places your suggesting.
Question: Google Chrome is letting me know there is an updated version should I accept it or not? I assume I shouldn't as the one you had me install was the one that worked correctly.
Please let me know.
Have a great day and try and enjoy whatever it is your doing and whoever you spending that time with..yes even if its yourself.

Sincerely, Ralph

#51 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Hallo again, Ralph.

Oh, Chrome will do that; just ignore it. The newest version is 64-bit.....and, as I've explained, you can't run a 64-bit browser in a 32-bit operating system. And, whatever you do, do NOT download and install the .deb packages directly. They're set-up for a multi-user system, and you will bugger up permissions throughout your Pup....and they take forever to straighten out (even for those of us who know what we're doing!)

The main reason I've suggested trying the Puppy forums is because there are other Chromium-based browsers, such as FlashPeak's SlimJet browser, and SRWare's Iron browser, which are both based on much newer versions of the current Chromium. They work just the same as Chrome; you can sign in to a Google a/c, and you get all your bookmarks and extensions as usual. More importantly, they're still available in both 32- and 64-bit versions. It's only Google who've knocked 32-bit on the head, with Chrome.

The versions of SlimJet and Iron you will find through the Puppy Forum have been built specially to work with Puppy's unique 'root' model; normally, the Chromium-based browsers won't run as root.....they're designed to work as a normal 'user'. We've developed some rather exotic workarounds to bypass this stipulation, y'see!

How are you getting on with viewing those videos, by the way?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 September 2017 - 12:52 PM.

XQxSFqE.gif

#52 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hallo again, Ralph.

Oh, Chrome will do that; just ignore it. The newest version is 64-bit.....and, as I've explained, you can't run a 64-bit browser in a 32-bit operating system. And, whatever you do, do NOT download and install the .deb packages directly. They're set-up for a multi-user system, and you will bugger up permissions throughout your Pup....and they take forever to straighten out (even for those of us who know what we're doing!)

The main reason I've suggested trying the Puppy forums is because there are other Chromium-based browsers, such as FlashPeak's SlimJet browser, and SRWare's Iron browser, which are both based on much newer versions of the current Chromium. They work just the same as Chrome; you can sign in to a Google a/c, and you get all your bookmarks and extensions as usual. More importantly, they're still available in both 32- and 64-bit versions. It's only Google who've knocked 32-bit on the head, with Chrome.

The versions of SlimJet and Iron you will find through the Puppy Forum have been built specially to work with Puppy's unique 'root' model; normally, the Chromium-based browsers won't run as root.....they're designed to work as a normal 'user'. We've developed some rather exotic workarounds to bypass this stipulation, y'see!

How are you getting on with viewing those videos, by the way?

Hallo Mike! hope is well! Why do i see this and what does it mean? Should it be controlled some how? 
saving Ram_to pup file why am i seeing this every time i'm on the computer? Any help much appreciated..really enjoy Puppy and there is so much to learn. Take care, Ralph

#53 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

Hallo again, Raphael. Glad to hear you're enjoying Puppy.

The message you're seeing is easily explained. 'Mainstream' Linux distros install to a partition on your hard drive, and spread all the system files/folders'n'stuff throughout the partition. They also constantly read from/write to the hard drive throughout the session.....this is perfectly normal. It's exactly the same in Windows.

Because you're running Puppy from a 'flash bar' (as you call it), Puppy takes special precautions to ensure long life for it. Flash drives use NAND flash memory.....and this has a finite number of read/write cycles before it's worn out. Admittedly, the life-span of NAND flash memory has improved a lot since the early days of Puppy, but this behaviour is a 'hold-over' from those early days. It hasn't been changed, because NAND flash still needs 'looking after', y'see.

Remember; Puppy is running in RAM throughout the session. To maintain your settings, etc., Pup needs to write these to the save-file/folder on your flash drive at some point. The default behaviour is that this is performed once every 30 minutes.....and while Puppy is performing the 'save' cycle, you see this little message at the top of the screen simply to let you know what's going on.

All perfectly normal.....and nothing to worry about. From the sound of things, Puppy is behaving herself as she should.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 November 2017 - 01:31 PM.

XQxSFqE.gif

#54 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

Thank YOU!!! for your swift informative response.
Curious! how long is the life expectancy for the thumb drive using NAND? then there is the space requirements? We used 8GB thumb drive. I assume that will be useful for sometime to come!? Like to get into possibly a custom desktop at some point,but want to get the basics down first.
It may have been simple and straight forward for you to get this running nicely from a thumb/flash drive..I thought it was a good workout. I try to stay in the "learning mode" all the time.
Take care, Raphael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users