Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Puppy Error loading player Slacko 6.3

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

Oh, boy.....

Well, it won't boot off the 'flashbar', as you call it, because you haven't yet put Puppy on there!

From the sound of things, you're in Windows at the moment. Windows is telling you the 'disc in drive:E' needs formatting because Windows doesn't recognise Linux file-systems, and thinks that the flash-drive is unformatted.

You're rather getting ahead of yourself, here. Do I take it that you followed my instructions, and formatted the flash drive ready for Puppy? If so, what that's done is to prepare the flash drive ready to 'install' Puppy to it.....but you can't boot from it yet, because we haven't put the Puppy files on there yet, or installed the bootloader.

I haven't yet told you how to do this...

As with everything to do with computers, it's a series of small steps, which have to be performed in a certain order.....and every step needs to be completed. I'm quite prepared to help you do this, but please don't be so impatient. To my way of thinking, something like this should only need to be done once.....but it needs to be done correctly the first time around.

Now; please answer me one simple question. Are you prepared to follow advice? Because if you're not, then we may as well call it a day right here & now; it's just a waste of everybody's time, when I could be helping someone who is prepared to listen.

(Don't think I'm being hard on you; I'm not. But even on forums such as this, there is a certain set of 'courtesies' that we all try to follow.....because it makes things easier all round. For everybody; those who need help.....and those who try to give it. There are a lot of good people on here, who enjoy helping other people out with problems.....but if nobody will take notice of what's being suggested, then there's not much point in folks even bothering.)

Mike.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 September 2017 - 04:00 PM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

Thank YOU! If i got ahead of myself it wasn't done on purpose. Very Sorry..
Lets proceed with care and caution. If I check the Properties on the flash bar there are none,,used and unused space is Zero.
I'd love to get this done correctly. Does the BIOS Boot order need to be changed at any point?
I"d like to do this on another computer that is equal or better.
Sincerely, Raphael
These are the specs of the Optional laptop or we can stick with this one

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 6134 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 450 GB (416 GB Free); D: 15 GB (2 GB Free);
Motherboard: Quanta, 363C
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Edited by DadaMan, 07 September 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#33 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

Are you prepared to follow instructions? Yes!
PLEEZE excuse me as I am a bit of a "dummie" and a little anxious at times, I'm relieved that the flash stick needs to be formatted in order for Puppy to work.

I did NOT know this Mike:

what that's done is to prepare the flash drive ready to 'install' Puppy to it.....but you can't boot from it yet, because we haven't put the Puppy files on there yet, or installed the bootloader.

#34 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

Ah, no worries. I'm not so old that I can't remember what it's like to get excited about something.....

It doesn't make any difference which laptop you use. Puppy will adapt to use any hardware.....and you'll be running Puppy anyway. Windows won't even be involved.

------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I would like you to do the following:-

1. Shut Windows down. 

2. Boot into the Live Puppy CD. Wait for everything to settle down, with the desktop showing, then I want you to plug the flashdrive in that you're going to use for Puppy. As you do this, I'd like you to watch the bottom left corner of the screen. You should see an icon appear. Please make a note of the label (probably 'sdb1').....and tell me what it is.

You can use the built-in PaleMoon browser to reply. You don't need to go back into Windows to answer; you might as well get started with using Linux, yes?? PaleMoon is a 'fork' of FireFox; it's the direction that a certain group of people think Mozilla should have gone in, rather than the direction they did take.

It's quite simple to use! I too prefer the Chromium-based browsers, and have done for years.....but I'm perfectly prepared to use FireFox derivatives on the odd occasion.....

Mike.  :wink:

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#35 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Ah, no worries. I'm not so old that I can't remember what it's like to get excited about something.....

It doesn't make any difference which laptop you use. Puppy will adapt to use any hardware.....and you'll be running Puppy anyway. Windows won't even be involved.

------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I would like you to do the following:-

1. Shut Windows down. 

2. Boot into the Live Puppy CD. Wait for everything to settle down, with the desktop showing, then I want you to plug the flashdrive in that you're going to use for Puppy. As you do this, I'd like you to watch the bottom left corner of the screen. You should see an icon appear. Please make a note of the label (probably 'sdb1').....and tell me what it is.

You can use the built-in PaleMoon browser to reply. You don't need to go back into Windows to answer; you might as well get started with using Linux, yes?? PaleMoon is a 'fork' of FireFox; it's the direction that a certain group of people think Mozilla should have gone in, rather than the direction they did take.

It's quite simple to use! I too prefer the Chromium-based browsers, and have done for years.....but I'm perfectly prepared to use FireFox derivatives on the odd occasion.....

it is sdb1 should I make PaleMoon my default browser? we did talk about Google Chrome before..is that out now I wonder?   Also it asks if I want it to perform a check when starting.  I did get connected using Frisbee..do I download Linux desktop as it offers on PaleMoon?

Tx rapahel

Edited by DadaMan, 07 September 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#36 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

OK. If it's sdb1, that's what I need to know.

We won't bother getting internet set up just yet. You may as well wait till we get Puppy on the flash-drive.....then you can set everything up at once. Patience.....

Now, then:-

On the machine running Puppy (I assume it's still running the LiveCD?), I want you to do the following, please.

1. Click on the 'sdb1' icon. A file-manager window will appear, and you'll also notice a marker appears at the top-right corner of the icon when you do this. This shows that Tahrpup has 'mounted' the drive, and it's now part of the file system. Leave this window open.

2. Click on the CD icon. This should have a tiny picture of a house at the top-right corner. A second file-manager window will appear. Move this away from the first window.

(Don't worry about your icons looking different to mine. Mine are my own, customized versions.)

3. Now we're going to copy the files from the LiveCD to the flashdrive. Watch this video clip I've just done to see how I do it:-

In the LiveCD window, click (and hold) then drag the cursor diagonally across the window to highlight all the files. Now, click on any item (and hold), then drag across to the first window. Let go of the mouse button. A small box will appear, with 'Copy',  'Move', 'Link(relative)', and 'Link(absolute)'. Click on 'Copy'.

Puppy will now copy the files from the CD to the flashdrive.

Do this, then we'll take the next step.....

XQxSFqE.gif

#37 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

don't see any CD icon
I'm signed into puppy now, We have not set PaleMoon

Edited by DadaMan, 07 September 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#38 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

Read the previous post, Raphael, and watch the video clip I've just done. We both posted at exactly the same moment....

We'll get Puppy on the flash drive, then you can set everything up. It'll be better to do things this way, trust me. I've done so many of these, I could do it in my sleep!

Just be patient. It'll pay off in the long run.....you can't set up any OS in 5 seconds. And no, Chrome isn't 'off the cards'. You can still have Chrome.....but you need to get Puppy set-up first.

(Chrome's a good choice, BTW. The Linux version of Chrome is more secure than the Windows version.)

Bear with me.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 September 2017 - 05:49 PM.

XQxSFqE.gif

#39 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

OK. If it's sdb1, that's what I need to know.

We won't bother getting internet set up just yet. You may as well wait till we get Puppy on the flash-drive.....then you can set everything up at once. Patience.....

Now, then:-

On the machine running Puppy (I assume it's still running the LiveCD?), I want you to do the following, please.

1. Click on the 'sdb1' icon. A file-manager window will appear, and you'll also notice a marker appears at the top-right corner of the icon when you do this. This shows that Tahrpup has 'mounted' the drive, and it's now part of the file system. Leave this window open.

2. Click on the CD icon. This should have a tiny picture of a house at the top-right corner. A second file-manager window will appear. Move this away from the first window.

(Don't worry about your icons looking different to mine. Mine are my own, customized versions.)

3. Now we're going to copy the files from the LiveCD to the flashdrive. Watch this video clip I've just done to see how I do it:-

In the LiveCD window, click (and hold) then drag the cursor diagonally across the window to highlight all the files. Now, click on any item (and hold), then drag across to the first window. Let go of the mouse button. A small box will appear, with 'Copy',  'Move', 'Link(relative)', and 'Link(absolute)'. Click on 'Copy'.

Puppy will now copy the files from the CD to the flashdrive.

Do this, then we'll take the next step.....

Ready and the Disc popped out..waiting

Edited by DadaMan, 07 September 2017 - 06:10 PM.

#40 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

Good.

Now, we need to install the Grub4DOS bootloader. This is based on the old-style GRUB legacy bootloader (yeah, I know, it's a weird name, ain't it?) It has, however, been specially 'tweaked' to work with Puppy's unique way of doing things.....and it never fails to work.

Have a watch of this video to see how you use it. I've gone as slow as I can, to give you time to look at things. Sorry for the lack of sound, but I'm told even other Brits have a job understanding my Norfolk accent.....  :P

Two points. Once you've selected your flash drive in the list, make sure you tick the check-box, top right, so that Grub4DOS will only scan the flash drive. Second, once it's detected Tahrpup, and shows you what it's found, you can re-name the 'Menu entry' if you want to, before you 'OK' it.

The final window shows the bootloader components. 'gldr' is the bootloader itself; 'menu-advanced.lst' and 'menu.lst' are the config files which tell the bootloader what you want it to do.

Let me know how you get on before the next step, please.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 September 2017 - 06:38 PM.

XQxSFqE.gif

#41 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

Good.

Now, we need to install the Grub4DOS bootloader. This is based on the old-style GRUB legacy bootloader (yeah, I know, it's a weird name, ain't it?) It has, however, been specially 'tweaked' to work with Puppy's unique way of doing things.....and it never fails to work.

Have a watch of this video to see how you use it. I've gone as slow as I can, to give you time to look at things. Sorry for the lack of sound, but I'm told even other Brits have a job understanding my Norfolk accent.....  :P

Two points. Once you've selected your flash drive in the list, make sure you tick the check-box, top right, so that Grub4DOS will only scan the flash drive. Second, once it's detected Tahrpup, and shows you what it's found, you can re-name the 'Menu entry' if you want to, before you 'OK' it.

The final window shows the bootloader components. 'gldr' is the bootloader itself; 'menu-advanced.lst' and 'menu.lst' are the config files which tell the bootloader what you want it to do.

Let me know how you get on before the next step, please.

All set Mike! Thanks again...whats next and how much time will we need? 7:50 pm EDT here now. Please don't misunderstand me as I deeply appreciate every second you've shared with me. Is there a point when we could take a break? 

Edited by DadaMan, 07 September 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#42 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

Glad the videos helped. All you need to do now is to see if it will boot! 

You'll need to go into your BIOS, and set the USB device (your flash drive) to the top of the boot order list. This is the bit I can't really help with, since it's different for every machine. It would help to know the make and model of the laptop.....that's the only bit you didn't give me, and it's the easiest way to Google for the BIOS keystrokes, etc.....if it's UEFI (with Windows Secure Boot), there's a few extra steps we may need to take.

If it's the old-style MBR (Master Boot Record), you're laughing. Since it's Windows 7, it probably will be the MBR.....UEFI & Secure Boot didn't really come in until Windows 8/8.1. But you ought to be able to find that out for yourself. Just Google for something like 'How to boot USB on (make & model)'. You'll get plenty of 'hits'.

It's 1 am here, and I'm turning in for the night. I'll catch up with you tomorrow; let me know how you get on with it, and then I'll help you get Chrome up-and-running. Okay?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 September 2017 - 07:15 PM.

XQxSFqE.gif

#43 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

Glad the videos helped. All you need to do now is to see if it will boot! 

You'll need to go into your BIOS, and set the USB device (your flash drive) to the top of the boot order list. This is the bit I can't really help with, since it's different for every machine. It would help to know the make and model of the laptop.....that's the only bit you didn't give me, and it's the easiest way to Google for the BIOS keystrokes, etc.....if it's UEFI (with Windows Secure Boot), there's a few extra steps we may need to take.

If it's the old-style MBR (Master Boot Record), you're laughing. Since it's Windows 7, it probably will be the MBR.....UEFI & Secure Boot didn't really come in until Windows 8/8.1. But you ought to be able to find that out for yourself.

It's 1 am here, and I'm turning in for the night. I'll catch up with you tomorrow; let me know how you get on with it, and then I'll help you get Chrome up-and-running. Okay?

Mike Thank YOU! and Bless YOU! Is there anything I need to do to make sure "everything" is Safe and Saved? 
Hope you sleep well...This got the juices flowing..it makes Windows a joke IMHO. I got the Boot order piece of this.
Take care,

Raphael

#44 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:07 AM

There's nothing you can do at this stage.....not until you get Tahrpup running for the first time from the flash drive.

When you do, accepted practice is to set the initial settings up, that you'll see when the desktop first appears; then, as soon as you have done that, to immediately shut down, and allow Puppy to create its 'save-folder'. That's what will keep everything 'safe and saved'.

When Puppy's shut down, re-boot back into Tahrpup.....and then you can start to add stuff, and to 'personalise' Puppy to your taste. Pup now has somewhere to save everything when it shuts down.

Assuming everything's working, we'll get Chrome sorted out for you later on.

XQxSFqE.gif

#45 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

There's nothing you can do at this stage.....not until you get Tahrpup running for the first time from the flash drive.

When you do, accepted practice is to set the initial settings up, that you'll see when the desktop first appears; then, as soon as you have done that, to immediately shut down, and allow Puppy to create its 'save-folder'. That's what will keep everything 'safe and saved'.

When Puppy's shut down, re-boot back into Tahrpup.....and then you can start to add stuff, and to 'personalise' Puppy to your taste. Pup now has somewhere to save everything when it shuts down.

Assuming everything's working, we'll get Chrome sorted out for you later on.

Good Morning...Top of the morning!

You were arising just about the same time I was hitting my little nest..a habit I'd like to change..
I booted into Puppy with no problem and I'm ashamed to admit this but I'm not sure where I put that "folder" you mentioned. I did create one though..
Where would we find it? I think it was about 6 GB?!
I can get online through PaleMoon with various option offered. Believe it or not I use AOL which is not offered  as is Gmail, Outlook, Zoho, and Yahoo which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Not sure I'd like PaleMoon? at a glance it appears to offer many options. Is it customary to Exit Puppy? and then which Puppy Logout option should I use? Of coarse there is the Save icon on the desktop. I can't imagine needing to Save every session that I start or sign on with. It would be nice to get Chrome up and running and make the desktop a little more personal at some point. When I look at ALL the Options under the Menu tab its amazing how much is offered...I'm sure there's many things there that I'd never use or need. It makes Windows OS IMHO look like a joke.
What you say?
Thank YOU!!! 

Blessing's, Raphael

Edited by DadaMan, 08 September 2017 - 09:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users