Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Puppy Error loading player Slacko 6.3

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

It sounds as if the session didn't save for some reason, and the changes were lost when the computer shut down. Unfortunately you'll have to do it all again.

An option I have used before in Puppy, when my CD has been full, is remaster CD. It will probably be in the Applications menu in Slacko, under System or Setup. After Chrome is installed, select the remaster CD option, and follow the prompts. I've only done it once before, but it was relatively straighforward as far as I remember. Basically, it combines all the sessions on your CD, into a single session, that should easily fit on a new CD along with Chrome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

Thank YOU!
I was going to place Puppy on a flashbar 4 GB. Would I follow the same steps as you outlined previously? Obviously it seem to me that I need to get Puppy onto the flashbar fiirst and then follow the steps to add Google Chrome.
I do want to be able to connect to my Wifi network that I was before as well.

Hope you can reply sooner than later.

Best, Raphael

#18 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

Hello! 

I ended up following a video and installed on a flashbar PUPPY 4.2. This may have been a mistake??! I can't connect to the Internet. The only Browser listed is Sea Monkey. I'd like to use Google Chrome.

What do you suggest I do now? I'm lost...

The Configuration instructions do not apply for example for the Setup> Puppy Package Manager> opens with a variety of Software Management that I have no idea about.

Thank You!

Sincerely, Ralph

PS: I do not mind starting over as long as the instructions are clear. I liked Slacko...

#19 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:19 AM

That video is from 2012, and Puppy 4.2 is an old, no longer supported version. All of the software on it including Seamonkey will also be very old versions, so I wouldn't advise using it.

There are a few ways to create a Puppy USB; using Unetbootin as per the video you followed is just one of them. Since you've now used it, I suggest doing the same again, expect use a Slacko 6.3 ISO instead.

In order to follow the video, instead of allowing Unetbootin to download Puppy, download the ISO beforehand (unless you already have it), then follow the steps in the video starting at "select diskimage."

You can find download links to the latest versions of Puppy from here:
http://puppylinux.com/download.html

#20 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:47 AM

Hallo again, Ralph.

Now, then; let's see if we can't get you sorted out, here.

If you want to put Puppy on a USB stick, excellent. That's the recommended way of running Puppy, since it was designed to work like that right from the very first release.

A 4 GB stick is kinda pushing it. Personally, I like to use a minimum 8 GB stick. This way, you can not only save all your favourite programs, etc, but you have room to save stuff into 'my-documents', pictures, music, etc.....and carry the lot around with you. If you also have a cloud a/c of some kind (Dropbox, Google Drive, MediaFire, etc.), that's even better, 'cos you can access stuff from anywhere.

No disrespect to Al (who always gives considered, sensible advice), but there is a 'quick & dirty' method for getting Puppy on a flashdrive. It's not a method you'll find in any of the usual recommendations, either; it's peculiar to Puppy, because of the unique way in which Pup works. You'll need to burn another Puppy ISO to disc for this. However, I'm going to recommend you try a different Pup; recent 'Slackos' have had a few problems getting the system to 'find' Puppy's files on the USB when it's trying to boot. (All to do with recent changes to the 'WOOF' Puppy build-system, used by the community developers.....but I'm not going into that here.)

(BTW, I agree with Al. 4.2 is extremely 'long in the tooth', and is very out-of-date. The same goes for the applications.....although running older apps with Puppy is not such a problem as it can be with more mainstream distros. More about that later.)

Before I can recommend a suitable Puppy, however, I don't believe you've told us yet what your machine's hardware is like. What's the make & model? What CPU do you have? (Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?) How much RAM do you have? Size and type of hard drive? Graphics card (or chip, if 'built-in')?

This will all help to 'fine-tune' the choice of Puppy (there's a lot to choose from, and the newest Pups on the Puppy website are not necessarily the best choice, depending on the age of the machine).....and it's always a good idea to give this information when making a new post, anyway; that way, everybody knows what they're dealing with.

(And don't worry; the instructions will be as simple and easy to follow as possible; I'll make sure of that.)

Over to you.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 September 2017 - 07:06 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#21 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

THANK YOU!!!
here are the specs

When I downloaded the old version yesterday using Unetbootin. It would not identify the correct drive using a 4GB Stick, but would with  the 1 GB. I do have an 8GB on board that I can use.
Obviously, I'd love to get some decent version of Linux running ASAP as the hard drive is not is the best of shape. I would even use the same version od Puppy that I had Slacko 6.3/6.4 as long as I could run Google Chrome and be able to stream live events as noted previously.
Sincerely, Ralph

PS: This may be a silly question, but is it possible to make *a* Version of Puppy on a computer that isn't going to use it? so you can use it on one that will?

DELL Latitude E6400 notebook

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3983 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1767 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (178 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U692R
Antivirus: MSE

Edited by DadaMan, 06 September 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#22 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

Hallo, Ralph.

That's good; just the info I need.

That being the case, I'm going to recommend you give Tahrpup64 6.0.5 a try. Your Core 2 Duo is 64-bit, so this way you'll be able to use the most up-to-date versions of Chrome. Google only produce Chrome as 64-bit these days. The very last 32-bit release was 48.0.2564.116, nearly 18 months ago. I still use this in my 32-bit Pups, even so.

To answer your question (which is NOT a 'silly' one at all), yes, you can make a Puppy stick on one machine to use on another. Unlike Windows, where the system configures the OS once (and once only) to use the hardware it finds, Linux (via the kernel) is, as I understand it, 'adaptive'; it will scan the hardware of whatever machine you try to run it on, and will actively re-configure itself to use what it finds (the advantage of the kernel containing all those hundreds of thousands of drivers). You can create a 'Pup-on-a-stick' (as I call it!), which will work on any machine you plug it into. However, this will only work for a 32-bit Puppy, since this will be able to run on either 32-bit or 64-bit CPUs. A 64-bit Puppy must be used with a 64-bit machine.....but that can be any 64-bit machine.

Does that make sense?

If you want Pup to be more versatile, I'll recommend 32-bit Tahrpup 6.05; this will work with any machine, as I've just explained.....it's 'time-tested', and extremely stable. It's your decision, of course.

You can get the 32-bit Tahr 6.0.5 ISO here.....

and the 64-bit Tahr64 6.0.5 ISO here.

Please note, these are the direct download links, straight from the Ibiblio Puppy-Tahr repository. Decide which one you want to use, download it, and burn it to disc. Then I'll guide you through the 'quick & dirty' method for making a Puppy 'stick'. This does need to be performed from within a running Puppy.....hence the need to burn another ISO 'LiveCD'.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 September 2017 - 02:01 PM.

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#23 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

Thank YOU!!!
I did this version Mike You > 32-bit Tahr 6.0.5 ISO and I did finalize the disc this time.

Also, I will need to have instructions on how to connect to the Internet and or WiFi which was done easily with Slacko 6.3.

I'm ready to roll as soon as I hear back from you...

Exciting...

Cheers,

Raphael

#24 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Well, let's get Tahrpup onto a flash drive first. Then you can get things set up, and running the way you want it.....

Can you boot into the LiveCD, first of all? Once the desktop's settled down, plug your flash drive in. Wait for the drive icon to appear at the bottom left-hand side of the screen. Note the label that Pup assigns to it.....in all likelihood, it will be sdb1.

Go to Menu->System->Gparted partition manager, and click on this to launch Gparted. This is used throughout the Linux world for partitioning drives. We need to format your flash drive, in such a way that Puppy can work with it. Use the drop-down menu in the box in the top right corner, thus:-

UpNjueL.png

Click the entry that corresponds with your flash drive; this will give you a graphical representation of how Gparted 'sees' your flash drive. Now:-

Your drive will most likely be showing a single, green-edged box, right the way across; this shows it's formatted as FAT32, which is normal for these. We're going to format your stick to ext3, OK?

RMj93Bk.png

First, right-click on the green-edged box. A menu will appear; choose 'Delete'. Now, you need to click on the green 'tick' ('Apply') in the top bar, to execute the operation. Another window will appear, asking if you're sure you want to do this, and explaining that this can mean loss of data. (If there's anything on the stick you want to keep, save it before you start this procedure). Click on 'Apply'.

i3r5PkL.png

You'll now see a 'slider' going back and forth across the next window; this shows Gparted is working. Sooner or later, it will report that the operation has been successful; now, you can 'Close' it.

Right. At this point, you should have a blank grey box showing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now; right-click on the grey box, and choose 'New'. A window will appear, similar to this:-

8hoRiYd.png

We're going to create a 'main' partition, and a small 'swap' partition. (This is the equivalent of the Windows 'page file'.)

First of all, place your cursor on the right-hand edge of the box. Make sure you have the 2-way arrow showing; you don't want the 4-way one. Now, as below:-

SCOX58K.png

There's two things to do.

1. Click (& hold) when the 2-way arrow shows, then drag the edge of the box to the left, and at the same time,

2. ...watch the box marked 'Free space following (MiB)'. Get this as close to 512 MB (half a GB) as you can. You don't need to be exact. When you've done that, do as in the following image:-

nqT1Rtb.png

There's 4 'steps' you need to take here:-

1. Create as. You can set this to either 'Primary Partition', 'Extended Partition', or 'Logical Partition'. For your purposes, the 'Primary partition' will be fine.

2. File System. This will show ext3 by default; if it isn't doing so, click on the 'drop-down' to the right, and select 'ext3'.

3. Label. This is optional, but if you want, you can give it a label.....some thing simple, like 'Tahr 605' will do fine. It won't allow you to put more than about a dozen letters in anyway.

4. Finally, click on 'Add'.

Next, we'll add a swap partition:-

81jnvMS.png

1.Right-click on the grey area at the end of the 'bar; select 'New' again.

Then:-

Nc8bmtS.png

1. File system. This time, use the drop-down to select 'linux-swap'. The border will turn to a red-brown colour.

2. Then, click 'Add'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, wait till the window settles down again (a few seconds), then click on 'Apply' (the green 'tick' in the top panel). Gparted will do its thing, and eventually you'll get the message that the operation has been successful. You can 'Close' this now, and you should end up with something similar to this:-

1zVtJCM.png

The size of the main partition may be different, depending on the size of your flash drive. I used an old 4 GB drive for this example, but what ever the size of the drive, 512MB (approx) is always plenty for Puppy.

Your drive is now formatted to ext3, ready for putting Puppy on it..! However, there's one last thing we need to do, or else Tahrpup won't be able to boot at all. We need to set the boot 'flag'.

Right-click on the box (which will now have a mid-blue border), and select 'Manage flags'. You'll see the following window appear:-

Vj2wNlu.png

Simply tick the top box, marked 'boot'.....and then 'Close'. You'll see the word 'boot' appear in the far right-hand column.

That's it! You can now close Gparted; its task is done.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm off up the wooden hill to bed, I'm afraid; if I yawn much harder, my jaw's going to break! If you can get this done, I'll catch you tomorrow, and we'll get Puppy put on the flash drive.....and then, you can start setting things up. Okay?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 September 2017 - 08:54 PM.

XQxSFqE.gif

#25 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

Ignore these photos! I had the Boot order wrong..I had it set for USB :wacko: 
How do you delete these blunders if you make em?
To be continued Thursday...

fkm7iwo.jpgOx9om3G.jpg

Very first window! sorry about the order :-(
ife04T3.jpg

Edited by DadaMan, 06 September 2017 - 09:56 PM.

#26 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

Well, let's get Tahrpup onto a flash drive first. Then you can get things set up, and running the way you want it.....

Can you boot into the LiveCD, first of all? Once the desktop's settled down, plug your flash drive in. Wait for the drive icon to appear at the bottom left-hand side of the screen. Note the label that Pup assigns to it.....in all likelihood, it will be sdb1.

Go to Menu->System->Gparted partition manager, and click on this to launch Gparted. This is used throughout the Linux world for partitioning drives. We need to format your flash drive, in such a way that Puppy can work with it. Use the drop-down menu in the box in the top right corner, thus:-

UpNjueL.png

Click the entry that corresponds with your flash drive; this will give you a graphical representation of how Gparted 'sees' your flash drive. Now:-

Your drive will most likely be showing a single, green-edged box, right the way across; this shows it's formatted as FAT32, which is normal for these. We're going to format your stick to ext3, OK?

RMj93Bk.png

First, right-click on the green-edged box. A menu will appear; choose 'Delete'. Now, you need to click on the green 'tick' ('Apply') in the top bar, to execute the operation. Another window will appear, asking if you're sure you want to do this, and explaining that this can mean loss of data. (If there's anything on the stick you want to keep, save it before you start this procedure). Click on 'Apply'.

i3r5PkL.png

You'll now see a 'slider' going back and forth across the next window; this shows Gparted is working. Sooner or later, it will report that the operation has been successful; now, you can 'Close' it.

Right. At this point, you should have a blank grey box showing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now; right-click on the grey box, and choose 'New'. A window will appear, similar to this:-

8hoRiYd.png

We're going to create a 'main' partition, and a small 'swap' partition. (This is the equivalent of the Windows 'page file'.)

First of all, place your cursor on the right-hand edge of the box. Make sure you have the 2-way arrow showing; you don't want the 4-way one. Now, as below:-

SCOX58K.png

There's two things to do.

1. Click (& hold) when the 2-way arrow shows, then drag the edge of the box to the left, and at the same time,

2. ...watch the box marked 'Free space following (MiB)'. Get this as close to 512 MB (half a GB) as you can. You don't need to be exact. When you've done that, do as in the following image:-

nqT1Rtb.png

There's 4 'steps' you need to take here:-

1. Create as. You can set this to either 'Primary Partition', 'Extended Partition', or 'Logical Partition'. For your purposes, the 'Primary partition' will be fine.

2. File System. This will show ext3 by default; if it isn't doing so, click on the 'drop-down' to the right, and select 'ext3'.

3. Label. This is optional, but if you want, you can give it a label.....some thing simple, like 'Tahr 605' will do fine. It won't allow you to put more than about a dozen letters in anyway.

4. Finally, click on 'Add'.

Next, we'll add a swap partition:-

81jnvMS.png

1.Right-click on the grey area at the end of the 'bar; select 'New' again.

Then:-

Nc8bmtS.png

1. File system. This time, use the drop-down to select 'linux-swap'. The border will turn to a red-brown colour.

2. Then, click 'Add'.

Now, wait till the window settles down again (a few seconds), then click on 'Apply' (the green 'tick' in the top panel). Gparted will do its thing, and eventually you'll get the message that the operation has been successful. You can 'Close' this now, and you should end up with something similar to this:-

1zVtJCM.png

The size of the main partition may be different, depending on the size of your flash drive. I used an old 4 GB drive for this example, but what ever the size of the drive, 512MB (approx) is always plenty for Puppy.

Your drive is now formatted to ext3, ready for putting Puppy on it..! However, there's one last thing we need to do, or else Tahrpup won't be able to boot at all. We need to set the boot 'flag'.

Right-click on the box (which will now have a mid-blue border), and select 'Manage flags'. You'll see the following window appear:-

Vj2wNlu.png

Simply tick the top box, marked 'boot'.....and then 'Close'. You'll see the word 'boot' appear in the far right-hand column.

That's it! You can now close Gparted; its task is done.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm off up the wooden hill to bed, I'm afraid; if I yawn much harder, my jaw's going to break! If you can get this done, I'll catch you tomorrow, and we'll get Puppy put on the flash drive.....and then, you can start setting things up. Okay?

Mike, one of the green boxes has an exclamation sign next to it it's ntfs size 232.79 GiB the top green box says>ntfs System reserved size 100 MiB Used 24.18 MiB unused 75.82 MiB boot.  Which one am i to use now? There are NO ext3 only ntfs listed under File system as pictured.

Okay Mike, I think I'm ready to proceed with getting online, setting up Wifi and whatever else is needed to get me started. I take it I DO NOT have to change the BIOS boot order!?
Let me know where to go from here PLEEZE.
Thank You!
Raphael

Edited by DadaMan, 07 September 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#27 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

Now then; coupla things before we start.

1. You don't need to quote an entire post like that.....especially not a long one full of pictures. Simply use the normal 'Reply to this Topic' box at the bottom, please.

2. Please also remember that I do have a life outside of this forum. Sending me multiple private messages is not going to make me magically appear any faster. I get online when I can; I don't have a 'fixed' routine.

Right. NTFS, eh? Hmm.....

Have you got your flash drive plugged in at the moment? Have you noted the label Puppy's given it? When you opened gParted, did you remember to use the drop-down box in the top right corner to select the drive that corresponded to that label? Because it's extremely unusual to find a flash drive formatted to NTFS..!

Please try to be as clear as you can when you're describing something. I'm not very good with a crystal ball, and you must remember we're not there, looking over your shoulder. You have to be our 'eyes & ears'..!

Whether you decide to put Puppy on a flash drive, or continue to simply run from the LiveCD, you'll at least need to create a 'save-folder' somewhere. Because if you don't, you will have to set things up from scratch, every time you boot into Puppy. You'll have to set-up networking, re-install Chrome, etc, etc.

Nothing wrong with booting from the LiveCD. But I would recommend at least creating a save-folder on a separate flash-drive; it's not as awkward as making room on your hard drive for a Linux-formatted partition for Puppy to use when it shuts down.

What do you want to do?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 September 2017 - 02:14 PM.

XQxSFqE.gif

#28 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

Now then; coupla things before we start.

1. You don't need to quote an entire post like that.....especially not a long one full of pictures. Simply use the normal 'Reply to this Topic' box at the bottom, please.

2. Please also remember that I do have a life outside of this forum. Sending me multiple private messages is not going to make me magically appear any faster. I get online when I can; I don't have a 'fixed' routine.

Right. NTFS, eh? Hmm.....

Have you got your flash drive plugged in at the moment? Have you noted the label Puppy's given it? When you opened gParted, did you remember to use the drop-down box in the top right corner to select the drive that corresponded to that label? Because it's extremely unusual to find a flash drive formatted to NTFS..!

Please try to be as clear as you can when you're describing something. I'm not very good with a crystal ball, and you must remember we're not there, looking over your shoulder. You have to be our 'eyes & ears'..!

Whether you decide to put Puppy on a flash drive, or continue to simply run from the LiveCD, you'll at least need to create a 'save-folder' somewhere. Because if you don't, you will have to set things up from scratch, every time you boot into Puppy. You'll have to set-up networking, re-install Chrome, etc, etc.

Nothing wrong with booting from the LiveCD. But I would recommend at least creating a save-folder on a separate flash-drive; it's not as awkward as making room on your hard drive for a Linux-formatted partition for Puppy to use when it shuts down.

What do you want to do?

I understand Mike.. As far as I can tell everything looks good, How can I test  to see if it will run off the Flashbar? I still have it in place on the computer.

It sounds like I need to have a Folder? Where would i  see this? Have you noted the label Puppy's given it? 

Edited by DadaMan, 07 September 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#29 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

It sounds like I need to have a Folder? Where would i  see this? Have you noted the label Puppy's given it? 

What we're talking about here is what's known as the 'save-folder'; this is Puppy's secret weapon! It saves all your programs, settings, configuration, and everything that makes your OS unique to you. Puppy runs in RAM for the duration of the session; at the end of the session, all the settings/config, etc., all your personal touches, are saved to the 'save-folder'.

When you next boot into Puppy, these are loaded back into RAM, along with the main Puppy files, and everything is combined together to set your OS up again, just the way you left it at shutdown. The next time you shut down, anything new you may have added will also be added to the save-folder. And so it will carry on, from session to session.

You can also use this for a back-up, simply by copying it to a safe location. No need for complex backup software with Puppy.....

Are you in Puppy at the moment?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 September 2017 - 03:16 PM.

XQxSFqE.gif

#30 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

What we're talking about here is what's known as the 'save-folder'; this is Puppy's secret weapon! It saves all your programs, settings, configuration, and everything that makes your OS unique to you. Puppy runs in RAM for the duration of the session; at the end of the session, all the settings/config, etc., all your personal touches, are saved to the 'save-folder'.

When you next boot into Puppy, these are loaded back into RAM, along with the main Puppy files, and everything is combined together to set your OS up again, just the way you left it at shutdown. The next time you shut down, anything new you may have added will also be added to the save-folder. And so it will carry on, from session to session.

You can also use this for a back-up, simply by copying it to a safe location. No need for complex backup software with Puppy.....

Are you in Puppy at the moment?

It won't boot off the flash bar. I removed the CD. Does the flash bar need to be recognized or mounted? When I plug it in it says "needs to format the disc in drive E: before you can use it.

Edited by DadaMan, 07 September 2017 - 03:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users