Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes, Looping Audio Followed by No Boot Disk Found on Restart

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 FenixLilly

FenixLilly

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

A couple times a day, my computer will freeze and if there is audio playing, it will loop until I hold the power button to shut it down. On restart, I get a Kernel-Power Event 41 error in the Event Viewer but it does not appear to be generating a dump file. Also, after No Boot Disk Found on restart, it always comes up the second time until another freeze occurs and we do it all again. Speccy is indicating that my motherboard is at 91°C but I think that is in error. After a cold start it reports that immediately, which I find hard to believe, and Intel Desktop Utilities lists the motherboard at 41° C, nothing else overheating (see attached).

I was having an issue in the past where on restart the boot disk could not be found but I swapped the SATA cable and the problem went away for 2 weeks, until the current issue began. I don't have another SSD to test at the moment but I will have one soon if this isn't resolved. The SSD firmware is up to date and checks good, RAM has been checked with Windows Memory Diagnostic as good, GPU is updated... I'm at a loss what to do now. I don't have another power supply to test with but I do realize that could be the issue.

Speccy Information

Power Supply - Ultra X4 1050-Watt Modular Power Supply - 135mm Fan,  80+ Silver (Purchased in 2012)

Any help would be much appreciated! I am ready to put this mobo to use in a family computer as my upgrades have arrived but I don't want to continue troubleshooting with future unknowns (most parts not purchased yet).

Attached Files

Edited by FenixLilly, 01 September 2017 - 01:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

Hi,

The one and only dump file blames amwrtdrv.sys your Aomei BackUpper driver. Please uninstall that software while we're troubleshooting.

Many NVIDIA errors in the WER section of the MSInfo32 report. Please reinstall your graphics drivers... two drivers to try (obviously try them respectively):

http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/nvidia_355.82_w1064.zip
http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/nvidia_376.09_w1064.zip

Please also check whether if there are any BIOS updates for your motherboard and ensure Windows is up-to-date. (BIOS updates should be listed on your motherboard's website).

Finally, please start with these hardware diagnostics. Please run ALL the tests (even the RAM tests), if unsure of anything, please ask.

Regards,
bwv848

P.S. Regarding your PSU — can you send me a picture of your PSU voltages in the BIOS?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 FenixLilly

FenixLilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

I guess I was behind on the GPU driver. Have installed the latest now, ver 385.41. Uninstalled AOMEI. My BIOS doesn't appear to list the voltages but I've attached a screenshot from Intel Desktop Utilities of the current voltages and then some BIOS settings. Everything is default as far as I know (no OC). The power tab in the BIOS just lists options, no values. The BIOS is the latest available ver 920 (7/29/13), it's just an old board.

I'll start running all the tests you linked, thanks!

edit: I don't know why the BIOS pic keeps getting flipped upside down, it looks right on my end, sorryAttached File  IMG_3394.JPG   117.65KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by FenixLilly, 01 September 2017 - 03:13 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

Hi,

If the latest graphics card driver doesn't work well, please use the ones that I linked. They are specifically intended for YOUR graphics card.

Edited by bwv848, 01 September 2017 - 03:19 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 FenixLilly

FenixLilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

Oh, I see. Will do!

#6 FenixLilly

FenixLilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

Finally, please start with these hardware diagnostics. Please run ALL the tests (even the RAM tests), if unsure of anything, please ask.

I cannot get memtest86 to run no matter what. I tried both USB and CD and changed the boot order as necessary. The images are burned properly. It's like my computer just ignores them.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

Are you using MemTest86, NOT MemTest86+?

#8 FenixLilly

FenixLilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:54 PM

Yes, MemTest86 V7.4

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Skip MemTest86 for now, run the rest of the tests

#10 FenixLilly

FenixLilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

It's not booting from anything other than hard disk. I've used UltimateBootCD with this motherboard in the past. I'm really at a loss. Here's my BIOS setup. Maybe this motherboard is finally at the end of its life.Attached File  IMG_3398.JPG   100.96KB   0 downloads

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

Hi,

Can you try enabling "Boot from Removable Devices"? BTW — please run the hardware diagnostics that run in Windows, especially the Long Generic SeaTools test.

Regards,

bwv848

#12 FenixLilly

FenixLilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:33 AM

Wasn't able to troubleshoot at all today due to combating a flea problem with my dog. That being said, the computer hasn't froze once since swapping the GPU driver. I've even been leaving my computer running Youtube videos all day as that seemed to be when it would often freeze (although I'm often on YT). I am still stumped as to why I can't boot of anything but the SSD but I'll follow up tomorrow. Is it possible that one of the HDD could be the issue? I would think it would have to be where Windows is stored.

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

We'll deal with that problem later... let's see how the system behaves regarding freezes, hangs, etc., first.

#14 FenixLilly

FenixLilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

Ok, I ran the long generic tests on the two internal HDDs and the one external. It was nearing the end of the test (after several hours) with no faults when the system froze again. Same symptoms as before. Had to shut down with the power button, started the system and no boot disk was detected. Powered down with power button again, then system came up and loaded off the SSD. Event Viewer reads Kernel-Power Event ID 41.

I also enabled Boot from Removable Devices, no change. Still only boots from SSD. I ran Prime95 with CPU at 100% for several hours, no faults. I can try removing all of the harddrives and see if it will boot from disk then.

#15 FenixLilly

FenixLilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

MemTest86 booted up finally, not sure why now. Ran all of the tests overnight and there were no errors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users