Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Detective Wanted For A Nwebie

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:29 AM

I am running Windows XP Media Edition, with full up Dates. Normally I go and switch on the computer
And then may be leave it running for 10 Minuets while I do some thing else, Then I come back and switch on the monitor and find every thing in order, in the past 5 Day’s ive done the above , OK but on 2 of the days
Ive found that my computer has connected to the internet, with out me doing anything.
When Ive looked at the connection it’s seem’s to be my normal ISP dial up phone number, and there seems to be a small amount of traffic, but I can’t see any web site connection..? Or what is using the ISP connection.
I have done several full deep scans with the following programs… to look for dialers Etc ….

ewido 4 ( paid )
Spybot S&D free
AVG free
Ad-Aware free
a-Squared free

Ive also have SpywearBlaster and SpyweraGuard

The only things they found were Tracking Cookies.

And there have been no Dialers found, could it be some thing that ive accidentally done to my Dial up network connections settings…? ( can any one please advise me on the correct settings ) But if so why has the computer only automatically connected to my ISP on two occasions out of Five …? When first switched on…? And not connected evert time it was first switched on,,,,?

As you can see from my above post I am still a Computer ‘newbie’ so any help or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks ……

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:27 PM

First, do you have a software firewall?
Second, there are many applications that can default to something like "connect to the internet when I turn on my computer." You may have either installed such an application, used one for the first time, or may have made changes to the application's options in error.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users