Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grey screen; Computer has power, but monitor, kb and mouse don't work. No BIOS.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Laggiter

Laggiter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hello,

I was playing online with my friends last night, when suddenly the game froze, the screen completely turned light grey and the audio became very glitchy. I pressed the reset button after 15 seconds. The PC started booting, shut down in 10 seconds and booted again, but the monitor, keyboard and mouse don't have power. After two minutes, the keyboard and mouse turn on, and the monitor starts displaying a blank black screen. Then it just sits there. If I press the power button, it shuts down immediately, not after holding it for a couple of seconds, which leads me to believe that the hard drives don't boot. There is no BIOS, just a blank screen. I have left it without power for about 12 hours, but the same thing happens.

I have done the following:
Reconnecting the power cables
Replugging the GPU and RAM sticks
Resetting the CMOS

I would try to use the integrated GPU but there is no HDMI port on the monitor.
The build is three years old, and the PSU is just over a year old. Specs:
CPU: i7-4770K
GPU: EVGA GTX 780
MoBo: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill HyperX
PSU: Corsair RM750
SSD and 2x HDD
Some case fans and a closed circuit CPU watercooler.
I believe this is either the motherboard, since there is no BIOS, or maybe even the PSU. Is there anything I can do to try and revive it? Thank you for your attention.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SupaSped

SupaSped

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

Sounds like it's failing to POST. If you didn't know, computers go though a routine called POST, or Power On Self Test, upon being powered on to check if all necessary components are present and functional. This happens before the BIOS loads, so if there is an error, the BIOS won't show up. I would tell you to reseat the RAM sticks, since they are arguably the most fragile piece of a PC after HDDs, but you say you've already done that. In that case, I would suggest reseating the CPU and all cables, not just power. Also, if your monitor has a DVI port (like a VGA port but white and longer), you may be able to use a HDMI to DVI-D converter.

Hope this helps ;)

#3 Laggiter

Laggiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

Sounds like it's failing to POST. If you didn't know, computers go though a routine called POST, or Power On Self Test, upon being powered on to check if all necessary components are present and functional. This happens before the BIOS loads, so if there is an error, the BIOS won't show up. I would tell you to reseat the RAM sticks, since they are arguably the most fragile piece of a PC after HDDs, but you say you've already done that. In that case, I would suggest reseating the CPU and all cables, not just power. Also, if your monitor has a DVI port (like a VGA port but white and longer), you may be able to use a HDMI to DVI-D converter.

Hope this helps ;)

Thank you for your reply. I have done some testing. First off, the ASUS Q Code shows the code B2 during those two minutes of downtime, which translates to "Legacy Option ROM Initialization". This happens every time, there is no way to get into the BIOS. After that, it showed the code A2 - IDE detected. Since then, I've connected only the OS SSD. Then it showed the error code 99. I have updated then BIOS to the latest version and reseated the GPU to another slot and then back to the original.

Now, the computer goes through the whole "Legacy option ROM initialization", the screen, keyboard and mouse turn on after two minutes, and the QLED shows the code A0 - IDE initiated, which means that everything is OK. Now the problem is, the screen is black. It is lit up, but it is completely black. Now I have to hold the power button for a few seconds to turn it off, which I believe means that it boots into the OS. Now I'm starting to lean towards that the GPU is the problem. Since the MB errors are gone - partially - allowing the computer to enter the OS, but still no BIOS, how can I check whether the GPU is dead? It does give out signal to the monitor, but it is pitch black. It behaves the same in both of the PCIe slots. I do not have another rig to test it.

#4 SupaSped

SupaSped

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hope this helps ;)

Thank you for your reply. I have done some testing. First off, the ASUS Q Code shows the code B2 during those two minutes of downtime, which translates to "Legacy Option ROM Initialization". This happens every time, there is no way to get into the BIOS. After that, it showed the code A2 - IDE detected. Since then, I've connected only the OS SSD. Then it showed the error code 99. I have updated then BIOS to the latest version and reseated the GPU to another slot and then back to the original.

Now, the computer goes through the whole "Legacy option ROM initialization", the screen, keyboard and mouse turn on after two minutes, and the QLED shows the code A0 - IDE initiated, which means that everything is OK. Now the problem is, the screen is black. It is lit up, but it is completely black. Now I have to hold the power button for a few seconds to turn it off, which I believe means that it boots into the OS. Now I'm starting to lean towards that the GPU is the problem. Since the MB errors are gone - partially - allowing the computer to enter the OS, but still no BIOS, how can I check whether the GPU is dead? It does give out signal to the monitor, but it is pitch black. It behaves the same in both of the PCIe slots. I do not have another rig to test it.

You could maybe ask a friend if you could borrow their known working GPU to see if it's a GPU problem or not. Failing that, you could just buy a cheapo GPU like a GeForce 210 for 12 pound and test with that.

Regards

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,218 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:34 PM

According to the specs for your mobo you have an HDMI socket on the back panel. You could try connecting through that to see if you have a graphics display. If you do then this is not definitive but does suggest that your graphics card has passed away. And, if you have a handy HDMI cable it would save you the £12 mentioned above !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

FWIW.

FWIW2.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users