Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Oct. 17th, 2017

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/09/01/create-and-play-this-holiday-with-the-windows-10-fall-creators-update-coming-oct-17/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

Microsoft is planning to release its next major Windows 10 update on October 17th. The software giant has been testing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update for the majority of the year, and it includes a number of features and changes. The biggest addition is Windows Mixed Reality, Microsoft’s platform for new VR headsets from Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, and Lenovo. The Mixed Reality software is now fully part of Windows 10 with the Fall Creators Update, and some headsets will be available on October 17th with others arriving later this year.

Personally, I think this Mixed Reality Software is just more unnecessary bloat. How many average people running Windows have a VR headset or even want one? 

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Pass. I don't need to explore my "imagination" at a minimum price of $300...I've seen some at $535! I've tried the Rift it was cool, if I were "younger" and had surplus cash, maybe. I'll continue to manage my monovision contacts, they alone are a case study of virtual reality!

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 4,553 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

Personally, I think this Mixed Reality Software is just more unnecessary bloat. How many average people running Windows have a VR headset or even want one? 

One does not design operating system features based on some random "average person."   I'll never use this, that's for sure, but it's abundantly clear that virtual reality is a big deal these days, and getting bigger, and Microsoft is quite wise not to decide, "Oh, let's not do that," and get left in the dust.

There have been oodles of features in any OS I've ever run under that I didn't use.  That didn't mean that lots of other people didn't use them, and probably found some of the things I did use to be "bloatware."

Microsoft has been walking the tightrope of making Windows, using several different editions, "all things to all people" for a very long time now.  I don't see that ever stopping as it's been a very successful business model overall.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

". . . American business has yet to learn how to measure the productivity and effectiveness of professional and technical employees.  As a result, employees who get little done, but spend a lot of time doing it, are often rewarded more than those who fulfill or exceed job requirements while keeping reasonable hours.
     A job that routinely requires 60 to 80 hours per week is mismanaged, understaffed, or staffed with the wrong person.  A badly managed firm isn't a good place for men or women, parents or not."  ~ Sophie M. Korczyk

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:59 PM

I just did a clean install of the Fall Creators Update. I am now running version 1709 build 16288. This edition is clean and stable.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 13 September 2017 - 04:59 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

Post #4 "I don't see that ever stopping as it's been a very successful business model overall."

Wouldn't it be an easier business model to distribute a basic OS with nothing but the core features ( the ability to run exe files, the ability to interface to common hardware ...) then have all the other things available as freely (don't want to give ms ideas about trying otherwise should they stumble over this post) downloadable packages to add to the OS. To avoid the un-necessary bloat and the increased attack surface that coems with having such bloat on a system, when you look at what many of the most recently mentioned vulnerabilities in the news have targeted they are generally the sorts of features that are used only by large networks and not by individual users with standalone machines.

Edited by rp88, 15 September 2017 - 12:09 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 4,553 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

Post #4 "I don't see that ever stopping as it's been a very successful business model overall."

Wouldn't it be an easier business model to distribute a basic OS with nothing but the core features ( the ability to run exe files, the ability to interface to common hardware ...) then have all the other things available as freely (don't want to give ms ideas about trying otherwise should they stumble over this post) downloadable packages to add to the OS. To avoid the un-necessary bloat and the increased attack surface that coems with having such bloat on a system, when you look at what many of the most recently mentioned vulnerabilities in the news have targeted they are generally the sorts of features that are used only by large networks and not by individual users with standalone machines.

No.  When the vast majority of unsophisticated users balk at the slightest thing they have to do themselves and panic (often about nothing, and don't panic when they should) it would not be a good business model to distribute a basic OS with nothing but the core features.

That's what many versions of Linux do, and those versions of Linux are the least popular among, "the great unwashed," which is precisely what I would expect.

Convenience is not just king, but emperor, and most people are not at all technically inclined.  You design around your expected market demographic, and Microsoft, love them or hate them, has been successfully threading the needle of several different market demographics quite successfully for decades now.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

". . . American business has yet to learn how to measure the productivity and effectiveness of professional and technical employees.  As a result, employees who get little done, but spend a lot of time doing it, are often rewarded more than those who fulfill or exceed job requirements while keeping reasonable hours.
     A job that routinely requires 60 to 80 hours per week is mismanaged, understaffed, or staffed with the wrong person.  A badly managed firm isn't a good place for men or women, parents or not."  ~ Sophie M. Korczyk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users