Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why must it be an Ryzen?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:59 AM

Ryzen this, ryzen that, ryzen ryzen ryzen....... A lot of people in this forum don't have ryzen computers. For the instance of

deneco4 

deneco4 States "I definitely do NOT want an AMD build. "

But eventually you people persuade him to build a Ryzen Computer instead. What is going to happen if he or someone decides to go with an Intel instead.

Shouldn't this forum be called "System Building and Upgrading with Ryzen" because everytime someone comes here and wants to build a computer that is an Intel at the end there are building a ryzen computer.

I myself is a person who prefers Intel, not an Ryzen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

Opinions...preferences...etc...pollute and pervade every life led by a human being.  If a person has a working intellect and is aware of the biases he/she carries everywhere...it's possible for that person to make sound decisions, give good advice which has merit, and so forth.

CPUs are not akin to automobiles, fortunately.  There are a zillion different models of autos with different manufacturer names...all with the solve purpose of providing transportation for a given individual...yet many persons "believe" that one model by a one certain manufacturer...is "better" than any other.  There are only two CPU manufacturers today...each manufacturer makes CPUs that do the job of enabling computer functionality. 

The same persons...who see a "preference" where there should be none...with an automobile...is probably just as likely to go through life with a whole agenda of "preferences" which have no substantial reason for being part of that person.

I see little point in trying to "persuade" these persons of anything.  Messages, facts, arguments, etc...can be laid before these persons and they will remain immoveable in their perspectives.

There is a fundamental "right" which every human being has...that is the "right to be illogical, the right to be stupid, the right to deny reason as a valid base for action/inaction.

I try to respect that right...without encouraging anyone to tred such a slippery slope.

I believe that AMD has been trying to years to be able to compete with the mystique that some have regarding Intel.  The basis of this mystique lay in the premise that Intel processors cost so much more than AMD processors...because they were so much "better".  In the beginning, part of that was true...Intel processors were deemed to be better when certain tests were conducted comparing units made by the two CPU-makers.  The part that was never true...the part that assumed "better' meant paying more...was never examined by many...because that involves too much insight into business and business targets/consumers.

IMO...that assumed "gap" between Intel and AMD products...is now capable of being openly scrutinized and subject to honest comparison by consumers.  Intel fanboys will continue to be Intel fanboys.  But...I believe that some former Intel consumers may take notice of price/performance comparisons...and shift to AMD processors.  That seems to worry the Intel fanboys...because the minute one person moves from one camp to the other...it forces all other fanboys with any honesty...to wonder why this has occurred.

I don't find such unusual, it's typical of human behavior.

But it seems to me that...for the first time...AMD now poses a  challenge to Intel in terms of CPU price/performance...that can actually be viewed in a logical manner by those willing to be logical consumers, rather than just "fanboys" throwing money into the Intel coffers.

This may not last...it may be the only time that such occurs in the history of these two CPU-makers...but it is now and it makes sense to me that persons with experience/knowledge and no motive at all for asserting Ryzen as the "processor of choice today"....should do so when attempting to advise unknowing users of today...in those instances where price/performance is a value to be considered.

FWIW:  I don't have a Ryzen, but I have used AMD CPUs for my mundane computing tasks for many years now.  You see...price/performance is an important criteria in my world..for considered purchase of any item, including CPUs. 

Louis

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

FWIW I try to respect peoples choices in this regards when they ask for advice. If it's obvious that for a particular task, an AMD option will offer better price/performance ratio I'll point that out, but I don't feel it's my place to try to "sell" anything, particularly if they've expressed a strong preference the other way.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Jonuk...that is the way any intelligent suggestion is offered :) and your advice/suggestions are among the best that I have noted in this and other forums.

Unfortunately...the world is overpopulated zealots of every type, for every "non-reason" that can be imagined and the Internet is the type of medium (not podium) that some of these persons use to emphasize their personal preferences, often disregarding the real/stated needs of the OP.  Their "voices" are often the loudest, as opposed to those of reasonable persons.

My theory is that the lack of reason...can only be countered by reason...not directed at the zealot, but put forth intelligently on behalf of the unknowing public that reads the posts here.

That's the only approach which can be effective in providing useful information in a given topic..rather than directing empty rhetoric at anyone other than the OP.  The OP opens a topic...he/she is seeking information.  Engaging in rhetorical exchanges with someone other than the OP...is usually just a tremendous waste of time and defrays the focus from the OP's situation...to what Character 1 said to Character 2, neither of whom are concerned with the OP's stated questions/issues.

Louis

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

Hamlius, you have spoken as a Sage!  I will try to emulate more and more the behavior you posted about.

Now, concerning Ryzen and Speccy -- +1, these are preferences, not demands.

In times past, I have pushed for making backups with MR and external HDs, I have been practicing the last several weeks not pushing what I am doing, rather, answering the question set without editorials and redirects.  How am I doing?   :)  Perhaps, I will come closer to what Jonuk does on these boards .

Edited by RolandJS, 01 September 2017 - 11:18 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

CyberSec, to answer you directly:  Thank you for reminding me to not be a person who pushes this, pushes that, editorializes on OP choices and preferences!  In your threads, and in the threads of others -- I will try to be helpful, not intrusive  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:59 PM

Thank you Louis :) Your comments are much appreciated.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:20 PM

And thank you everyone for your comments  :)

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,679 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

As a service engineer, I have no say in what products a client buys, my job is to fix it and not express any opinion upon the users selection of hardware or software.  I have my preferences for my own gear but do not let that influence any decisions a user may make unless they ask specifically.  My preferences are based upon the decades of field service, seeing the myriad of assorted gear and how it works (or doesn't work) colors my choices to avoid pitfalls and incompatible selections.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

Ryzen this, ryzen that, ryzen ryzen ryzen....... A lot of people in this forum don't have ryzen computers. For the instance of

deneco4 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/655256/help-with-my-computer-build/

deneco4 States "I definitely do NOT want an AMD build. "

But eventually you people persuade him to build a Ryzen Computer instead. What is going to happen if he or someone decides to go with an Intel instead.

Very good answers from hamluis :thumbup2:

deneco4 wanted CPU for video production and choice was i7-7700K quad core, does no compute. Another thing is that i7-7700K and Pentium G4560 are only CPU's right now that really can be recommended from Intel (excluding HEDT platforms and above). Other Intel CPU's are slower than Ryzen or are overpriced compared to Ryzen. As quad core is not enough for video production, it's very simple: either deneco4 ditches that "must be Intel" demand or buy unsuitable CPU.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 02 September 2017 - 03:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users