Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I dont know whats wrong with my laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 irishwheels

irishwheels

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:12 AM

So while on Deployment i droped my old laptop about 4 feet from the ground and ever since then it doesn't wanna work correctly for me the main goal is to just get my olf files off of it and on my new computer

So let me explain what it does, it will boot up and let me sign in. it is EXTREMELY slow

so once im in, i connect my external hard drive and try to copy files, it will copy files fine for about 5 seconds after 5 seconds or around then it drops to 0 files transferred per second and freezes then it goes and says (Not responding) on every window and the whole time the blue circle for my mouse is singing.

Sometimes it will catch up and it will start to respond again. so i try to transfer again. same thing happens

But 90% of the time the computer gets stuck on (Not Responding) and i have to shut it down with the button

all i want our my files that i saved mostly pictures and then im going to throw the laptop in trash

So question is when do you think is wrong with it? is this a hard drive failure or something?

it is a window 10

The exact model number is

ASUS Laptop Q550LF-BSI7T21 Intel Core i7 4th Gen 4500U (1.80 GHz)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:12 AM

if the laptop was on when it was dropped, there's a more than excellent chance the drive is buggered.

even if it was off, if the g-force was enough, there's still a better than average chance the drive is buggered.

if it was me, I'd be removing the hard drive, installing into an external enclosure and plugging that into another PC - but again, if it's the hard drive, your options are going to be limited.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#3 goldFinger_13

goldFinger_13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:59 AM

Personally, I'd say that the issue has something to do with the hard drive itself. So, if nothing happens when copying your important files to an external hard drive, I'd recommend asking some help from a local tech so they can recover your files from your hard drive.

However, you can try doing a clean boot to disable some of the services and enable only MS services to run the in background then try copying the files again. If that does the same thing, I'd say take my recommendation :)

Thanks,

goldFinger_13

#4 williamebales

williamebales

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

If you can get it to boot up and get to the desktop go to the system info in control panel and make sure that the amount of Ram memory that is in the unit is being recognized by the system. This means if you have 4GB installed and it only shows 1.7 or 2.3 then you need to replace your memory because one or both sticks depending on what you have installed is going bad, or needs to be reseated. Sometimes a unit can be dropped and depending on the angle can cause the memory to be unseated or seated wrong. If the system info tells you it's 4GB installed then you know the memory is good and seated correctly.

Second, check for errors on your HDD by using the chkdsk /r command to see if the HDD comes up with read and write errors. if it does then you know it's the HDD. If you check the drive in dos prompt mode this will also tell you if it's a Windows software issue rather than a hardware issue. If these pass, then I would remove the drive and scan it with an external pc to make sure you don't have any viruses. Then if the drive can be read and works with an external pc normally, I would backup your files to another drive. If the drive is running at normal speed without problems then it's not the HDD and most likely a corrupt Windows file. To many unknowns in this scenario but I'm curious to see what some of your results are. 

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:22 PM

Personally, where there's a likelihood that a drive is in a deteriorated condition, I place the highest priority on getting the drive into an external adapter and transferring any desired files that can be accessed. This immediately removes the rest of the dropped laptop, and the Windows installation from the equation as a potential cause of the symptoms, and maximizes the chance of getting files before the drive may deteriorate further with use,

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:15 AM

Hi, agree with the suggestion to get the drive out and save your data as a first priority. A friend got spurred by a platypus when we were kids, happened in the creek at my parents farm inland from Byron Bay. We are now in our seventy's and he will still tell you about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users