Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ADVICE buying new computer for 10 yr old to start virtual school

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 curlly62

curlly62

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:16 PM

​I am buying a new computer for my granddaughter to begin 5th grade in a virtual school setting.

​She is 10 years old and pretty good with electronics. Not a big gamer...plays some games but more "social" and "diy" and youtube with her phone and tablet that she has now. So the computer will just need basics for students some leisure fun type things and hopefully something that she can use for a few years.

She presently has an apple I6 phone (not purchased by me-I personally do not like apple products) and a Kindle Fire 7 and uses my HP laptop with windows 10 occasionally.

When in public school last year I think they used Chromebooks....  

Here are some things that I would prefer as features:   Budget ----- under $500

​Internet connection will be DSL or Cable TV provider

Laptop 10 - 15 inch screen 

​(would like touchscreen but not a DEALBREAKER)

Good webcam (obviously since virtual school)

decent storage space for book reports, term papers,  photos, general school work, etc.

must have at least 2 ports, would prefer more

SD slot

good download speed

quick start up

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind paying for something that will last a while, but I don't like overpaying for bells and whistles that are useless. 

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

If she is acquainted with that and feels comfortable with your HP, why not get another for her? Just be sure to take all the trialware and foistware off of it after purchase so it will run properly. Side thought: I assume that you are acquainted with the dangers of a 10 year old girl accessing the internet, so I will not lecture you. :)

Edited by ranchhand_, 01 September 2017 - 07:59 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

Sounds like you want a laptop with a 256GB Solid State Drive (SSD), that will cover the quick startup and decent storage requirements.

Download speed has very little to do with the computer, more with your network connection and the network connection of the place you are downloading.

Where are you located?

Are you willing to go with a refurbished machine?  Most refurbished machines are lease returns from businesses which means that the technology in them is two to three years old.

#4 curlly62

curlly62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

Thank you for responding....

Kilroy....I would prefer new....I found this on Amazon, but I'm just not sure...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/taf/ref=cm_sw_l_view_dp_cGYQzb9522J6G?ie=UTF8&parentASIN=B01M746KWL&referer=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.amazon.com%252Fgp%252Fproduct%252FB01K1IO3QW%252Fref%253D&placementID=dp_cGYQzb9522J6G&emailTemplate=%2Fgp%2Fpdp%2Ftaf%2Femail%2Fshare-product&contentID=B01K1IO3QW&isDynamicSWF=0&relatedAccounts=amazondeals%2Camazonmp3&itemInfo=B01K1IO3QW&type=SH&contentName=item&viaAccount=amazon&contentURI=%2Fdp%2FB01K1IO3QW&contentType=asin&isDPX=1

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

These three machines are at your limit (excluding tax, title, and destination charges), but should all perform very well.  They all have SSDs, so will boot fast.  The 8GB of RAM will allow for good performance for most tasks.  Dropping the RAM to 6GB gives you these three options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users