Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's wrong in this CBS log

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 docfxit

docfxit

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

This Win7 installation won't boot.  It gets a BSOD 0x7b

https://www.sendspace.com/file/6acac7

I'm hoping someone can figure out what is wrong with this Win7.

Thank you,

Docfxit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

If you are viewing a CBS log you have run a sfc /scannow.  I will not download the log as I will not download anything to my computer unless I know exactly what it contains. 

When the scan finished you should have received either the message stating that Windows Resource Protection found no integrity violations, or  Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Which one did you see?

The statement Windows 7 installation won't boot need an explanation.  I'm guessing that you have the Windows 7 installation media but are having a problem running it.  You also don't explain what you are trying to do with the installation media, reinstall Windows 7, do a startup repair from the System Recovery Option, etc.?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

Your CBS.log file is from February and looking at that will not help you with a non boot scenario when you see errors like this:

[attachment=197529:Untitled.jpg]

And if your system will not boot you will not be running sfc  /scannow and that will not help anyway - that is probably not the problem.

What you should do is provide the entire contents of STOP message.

Then you should tell us your system make and model.

If a Dell system what is the Service Tag Number?

If an HP system what is the serial number?

If your system is home built do you know the motherboard make and model?

Then you should tell us if the system used to work properly what do you think happened to it since the last time if did work properly?

Did you experience a power failure, brown out, abnormal restart, reinstall, repair, Windows Update, manufacturer software update, pull the plug, use the reset button, flash your BIOS, change the battery?

STOP errors like 0x0000007B where the second parameter is 0xc0000034 indicate a communication problem between Windows and the hard drive and it does not mean the hard drive is failing.

What you should do is get into the CMOS/BIOS configuration on your system of unspecified make and model and find the section where the hard drive interface is specified.

Before making any adjustments write down what the current settings are so you can change them back if you need to.

Then you need to change the setting to something that works by making an adjustment and testing (Save the changes, Exit and restart) and you may need to test several settings to find the one that works (assuming you can find no manual for your system of unspecified make and model).

Here are some adjustments that I have accumulated so perhaps one of these will work for you:

When you see a message like this, obviously Windows is starting to load, but then Windows is having a problem communicating properly with the hard drive

It doesn't necessarily mean your hard disk is defective and if it was working before, it should work again.  It just means Windows is having trouble
finding it.

It sounds like you need to enter the BIOS on your system by pressing the "Del", F2, F10 or F12 key (whatever key is right for your system), locate the
section where the hard disks types and hard disk interfaces are configured and temporarily change the setting so the Windows Setup is able to find the hard disk.

Where to find the adjustment and how to change it depends on your system manufacturer and BIOS version so you may end up having to just look around for it and
do a little experimenting.  If you know your system make and model, we can probably help you find a manual.

You need to locate and change the interface mode for your primary hard disk in the BIOS so that when the Windows Setup loads, it will be able to locate the hard disk.

Before making any adjustments, you should make a note of what the current BIOS settings are so you can change them back when you are finished.

The adjustment varies so here are some examples I have accumulated:

The adjustment is made in the BIOS and could be under Integrated Peripherals, SATA Device Configuration, SATA Mode or something similar.

Make a note of what the current settings are before making any changes so you can change them back when you get done or if things get worse.

After you make the changes, save them and see how things look.  You may have to try a few things to get it to behave.

If you find the mode is set to RAID/SATA mode, change the mode to IDE.

If you find the mode is set to SATA, change the mode to IDE.
    (Acer Aspire)

If you find the mode is set to SATA, disable SATA mode.

If you find the mode is set to AHCI, change the mode to ATA.

If you find the mode is set to AHCI Emulation Mode, change the mode to IDE Emulation.

If you find the mode is set to SATA, disable SATA mode and/or change the mode to ATA.

If you find the mode is set to SATA Native Mode, disable SATA Native Mode.

If you find the mode is set to RAID/Autodetect AHCI, change the mode to Combination.

If you find the mode is set to RAID Auto/AHCI, change it to RAID Auto/ATA (this was a Dell XPS 420)

On some system of unknown make and model, In the Integrated Peripherals menu, disable" On Chip IDE Channel 0

On an Acer Aspire 4720Z the mode needed to be changed from "AHCI Mode" to "IDE Mode"

The WWW says this works on some Dells:  "I had to set my SATA Operation to ATA instead of AHCI"

Edited by joseibarra, 03 September 2017 - 01:12 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

Within Windows Recovery Environment the Sfc command cannot create log file.

Posted Image

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

For what it's worth, the 0x7B error code means the boot device is inaccessible. Could be the hard disk driver has failed, or the data on the hard drive is corrupted.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x7b--inaccessible-boot-device

#6 docfxit

docfxit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:00 PM

Your CBS.log file is from February and looking at that will not help you with a non boot scenario when you see errors like this:

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Drive_Layout_Small.jpg
Above is the drive I am working with. It is a dual boot. For this testing I am not concerned about the XP partition. For this testing I have made the Win7 partition active and I hid the XP partition. In order to change the Win7 partition active and hide the XP partition I boot up to a hard drive running win7 plugged into the USB port. All the following testing will not have anything plugged into any USB ports. When the XP partition is active it boots up fine.

The Win7 partition was working. It's been months since I have been able to boot into Win7. I have done Many things to test it. I have run hard drive tests. I have rebuilt the MBR. I have run a number of antivirus/Rootkit software and found nothing.

What you should do is provide the entire contents of STOP message.

0x7b_Small.jpg

Then you should tell us your system make and model.

Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p the hard drive is a SSD

If a Dell system what is the Service Tag Number?

If an HP system what is the serial number?

If your system is home built do you know the motherboard make and model?

Then you should tell us if the system used to work properly what do you think happened to it since the last time if did work properly?

One day I turned it on and got the BSOD. I didn't change anything.

Continued on next reply...

#7 docfxit

docfxit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

Did you experience a power failure, brown out, abnormal restart, reinstall, repair, Windows Update, manufacturer software update, pull the plug, use the reset button, flash your BIOS, change the battery?

It was a normal startup when I got the first BSOD.
As part of my troubleshooting I have updated the BIOS.

STOP errors like 0x0000007B where the second parameter is 0xc0000034 indicate a communication problem between Windows and the hard drive and it does not mean the hard drive is failing.

What you should do is get into the CMOS/BIOS configuration on your system of unspecified make and model and find the section where the hard drive interface is specified.

Before making any adjustments write down what the current settings are so you can change them back if you need to.

This is the current setting in the BIOS
System_Summary_Small.jpg
Drive_Setup_Small.jpg
Secure_Boot_Small.jpg
Boot_Priority_Small.jpg

Then you need to change the setting to something that works by making an adjustment and testing (Save the changes, Exit and restart) and you may need to test several settings to find the one that works (assuming you can find no manual for your system of unspecified make and model).

Here are some adjustments that I have accumulated so perhaps one of these will work for you:

When you see a message like this, obviously Windows is starting to load, but then Windows is having a problem communicating properly with the hard drive

It doesn't necessarily mean your hard disk is defective and if it was working before, it should work again. It just means Windows is having trouble
finding it.

It sounds like you need to enter the BIOS on your system by pressing the "Del", F2, F10 or F12 key (whatever key is right for your system), locate the
section where the hard disks types and hard disk interfaces are configured and temporarily change the setting so the Windows Setup is able to find the hard disk.

Where to find the adjustment and how to change it depends on your system manufacturer and BIOS version so you may end up having to just look around for it and
do a little experimenting. If you know your system make and model, we can probably help you find a manual.

You need to locate and change the interface mode for your primary hard disk in the BIOS so that when the Windows Setup loads, it will be able to locate the hard disk.

Before making any adjustments, you should make a note of what the current BIOS settings are so you can change them back when you are finished.

The adjustment varies so here are some examples I have accumulated:

The adjustment is made in the BIOS and could be under Integrated Peripherals, SATA Device Configuration, SATA Mode or something similar.

Make a note of what the current settings are before making any changes so you can change them back when you get done or if things get worse.

After you make the changes, save them and see how things look. You may have to try a few things to get it to behave.

If you find the mode is set to RAID/SATA mode, change the mode to IDE.

SATA was originally set to AHCI. I changed it to IDE for testing.
I re-booted. It came up with the same 0x7b
While IDE is selected I changed the Native Mode Operation from enabled to disabled.

If you find the mode is set to SATA, change the mode to IDE.
(Acer Aspire)

If you find the mode is set to SATA, disable SATA mode.

I don't see a way to disable SATA mode.

If you find the mode is set to AHCI, change the mode to ATA.

If you find the mode is set to AHCI Emulation Mode, change the mode to IDE Emulation.

I tried that.

Continued on next reply....

If you find the mode is set to SATA, disable SATA mode and/or change the mode to ATA.

If you find the mode is set to SATA Native Mode, disable SATA Native Mode.

If you find the mode is set to RAID/Autodetect AHCI, change the mode to Combination.

I know for sure this machine was never set to RAID.

If you find the mode is set to RAID Auto/AHCI, change it to RAID Auto/ATA (this was a Dell XPS 420)

On some system of unknown make and model, In the Integrated Peripherals menu, disable" On Chip IDE Channel 0

On an Acer Aspire 4720Z the mode needed to be changed from "AHCI Mode" to "IDE Mode"

The WWW says this works on some Dells: "I had to set my SATA Operation to ATA instead of AHCI"

I changed the Turbo Mode from Enabled to disabled.
I am going to leave Turbo Mode off during more testing.

I changed Hyper Threading Technology from Enabled to disabled

I changed Intel SpeedStep from Enabled to Disabled

I changed Secure Boot from Disabled to enabled
I re-booted. It came up with:
Checking Media Presence.......
Media Present........
Start PXE over IPv6

Then it hung.
I re-booted.

I changed Quick Boot from enabled to disabled

I changed Boot Mode from Auto to UEFI
I re-booted. It came up with Error 1962 No operating system found.

I changed Boot Mode from UEFI to Legacy

I change Boot Mode back to Auto with boot priority Legacy first

I changed CSM from Enabled to Disabled
I re-booted. It came up with:
Checking Media Presence.......
Media Present........
Start PXE over IPv4

I selected Setup Defaults in the BIOS

I don't know what else to select or what combination of selections to choose.

Thanks,
Docfxit

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

From all that has been said above, I think the time has come to get drastic - back up any data on this Win 7 partition and re-install Win 7.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

docfxit, I remember you from February. :) Wasn't the 0x7B triggered by enabling Driver Verifier? :wink:

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#10 docfxit

docfxit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

From all that has been said above, I think the time has come to get drastic - back up any data on this Win 7 partition and re-install Win 7.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks for the suggestion Chris.

I have a lot of programs loaded in Win7.  It's easy to re-install Win7.  It's all the programs that would take a long time to install and configure.

Thanks,

Docfxit

#11 docfxit

docfxit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

docfxit, I remember you from February. :) Wasn't the 0x7B triggered by enabling Driver Verifier? :wink:

That could very well be correct.  I didn't remember that.  It's been a long time.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Thank you,

Docfxit

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:25 AM

Every BIOS adjustment in my list has worked for somebody on some system in the past or it would not be in my list which goes back to the XP days.

I certainly did not just make that stuff up but I also have no way of testing of verifying any of the adjustments since they came from so many systems over the years.

I have never had a case where Windows needed to be reinstalled and I see that you have worked through many options.

Even in this community you can find plenty of examples where a BIOS adjustment to the HDD interface was the solution:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/441311/computer-wont-start-blue-screen-stop0x0000007b/

You might perform some Google searches like this but there are lots and lots of impossible to work ideas and wild goose chases to wade though focusing on the replies where something actually worked - but you might find the one that works for you.

And don't forget that Lenovo has their own community where you will find the same error and solutions along the same lines in BIOS adjustments.

You might ask in their community and include you are using a SSD:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/English-Community/ct-p/Community-EN

Some Google searches:

[attachment=197562:Untitled.jpg]

Edited by joseibarra, 04 September 2017 - 01:19 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users