Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Support/Firefox Alternatives

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

Hi, hope this is the right forum.

A few months ago i heard Firefox was ending support for anyone still using XP or Vista this september (tomorrow :D) just wondering what my options are?

How long should firefox still be safe for/how can i make it safe without MS support?

or do i need an alternative to Firefox that still supports XP and Vista? if so what is the best alternative?

Thanks for any advice

Edited by KrazyMonkey, 31 August 2017 - 05:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,621 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

Firefox is not supported by Microsoft, but by the Mozilla Project.

Windows XP has been out of support by Microsoft for years now and Windows Vista reached end of extended support this past April (see:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet)

If you cannot or will not update your operating system, which is as much a threat if not more from a security standpoint as your web browser, then I would do a search on web browsers with XP and/or Vista support such as this duckduckgo search.

Support for anything that runs on these operating systems will soon be a thing of the past no matter where you look.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Even Palemoon browser has finished supporting XP.....although you can still run an old version of that browser with the updates turned off.

I consider keeping xp/vista alive in some form similar to beating ones head against a post.

Think laterally.....Gather together your system specs, and consider Linux.....or one of the Puppy derivatives.

You will then have an up to date system, fast, and reliable.

If your system has the necessary specs, Linux Mint is the way to go.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,621 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

Even Palemoon browser has finished supporting XP.....although you can still run an old version of that browser with the updates turned off.

I consider keeping xp/vista alive in some form similar to beating ones head against a post.

It's worse than beating one's head against a post.  I have absolutely no problem with people doing this who wish to do it.  What I do have a problem with is the expectation that all the rest of the world, which long ago left any number of OSes in the dust, should be expected to do the same.

Nothing is so constant as change and in the world of computing that's even more true than in the world at large.

And, as you've so accurately noted, Linux is an option, and a better one, than running any unsupported Windows operating system.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

I have a Win10 laptop which is what i use on a regular basis. this is an old pc that sometimes comes in handy.

I've heard of Linux but know very little about it. what system specs do i need to look at?

Thanks

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:31 PM

You can post the make and model. If it is a custom built...specs on CPU and amount of memory/ RAM. Graphics specs would be good to post, too.

Best to do that in the Linux Forum here at BC. Several experienced Linux users will be glad to assist you.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

Opera might be a good option, but unsure for how long.  There some version 36.?(see below)..., that is still of limited support for use on Windows Vista.  Also consider version 11 of SlimJet, but you might find miner trouble using it.  (Some retarded behavior when using YouTube - maybe troubles in other ways, too).

EDIT:  The version installed on this Windows Vista machine of Opera is version 36.0.2130.80.  It seems to operate quicker than Firefox.

Edited by cafejose, 01 September 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,621 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

And, for the easiest way to get full system specs and post them, no matter what forum you post them to:

Publish a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in your message.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions

for doing this:
                     - Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

#9 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

This all you need?

TQWqZZF.jpg

As you can see it's getting on a bit  :grinner:

@buddy215 I'll post on the forum as soon as here there's a chance of using linux :thumbup2:

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

Yeah...you can run many Linux distros. For sure start a post in the Linux Forum. I suggest asking about how to create

a Live DVD or Live Flash Drive with Ubuntu Mate 16.04 which is supported until 2021 as the distro. Live allows you to test run a Linux OS without installing...just uses the RAM.

If you can get another gig or two of memory that would be a good idea to do.

Edited by buddy215, 01 September 2017 - 05:58 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users