Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optional Updates .......Fails & Duplicates

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

I've searched for an answer without much success. As you will see there are duplicate updates that keep installing as well as many failures. What gives??

3sz9sjU.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

If you try to install an update...and it fails or does not complete at that time...it's recorded as a failure.

If you try again later and it installs successfully, it's then recorded as a success.  The reflected failed install effort remains.

Louis

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

@hamluis,

Thanks for your response. However, I am aware of an update showing it had failed to install even though it successfully installed later. I get that now.

Please look at (Definition 1.249.211.0) which shows as having been successfully installed on numerous occasions.

I just don't understand why it keeps installing ??

Edited by sikntired, 01 September 2017 - 01:22 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

Well...why are you installing optional updates?  I only install critical updates, so I know why they appear as both failed and successful.

I've not delved into the Windows/MS system for detailing updates which are not critical.

I could assume that updates with same KB are updates...but I can't certify such.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2017 - 01:30 PM.

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

Well...why are you installing optional updates?  I only install critical updates, so I know why they appear as both failed and successful.

I've not delved into the Windows/MS system for detailing updates which are not critical.

I could assume that updates with same KB are updates...but I can't certify such.

Louis

Well, I am not installing these updates. I view these optional updates but choose not to install. However, later, say the next day, I see that they have been installed and through no action on my own. Windows Update Settings are currently set at "Let me decide whether to download and install".

Does MSE updates, whether "critical" or "optional" override my current settings?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

I would think that MSE updates are always refflected as critical updates...at least, they are on the Speccy reports that I have looked at .  I would think that MS feels that those are "critical" for any defense of the system, since the installed AVprogram is the second tier of system defense/Windows defense.

Louis

#7 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:26 PM

Thanks hamluis,

I finally came across this :

"They are marked optional in Windows Update because if they are ignored MSE will install the definitions at its regular daily update check." (official answer from http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/b5594cea-93b4-4320-8cbb-edc59a0948cc)

Evidently the link is bad, but the info posted came from MS Forum.

Problem solved

Edited by sikntired, 01 September 2017 - 05:28 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

You could also do the following.

Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

You could also do the following.

Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

I didn't use the exact terminology as you but I said in Post #5 "Let me decide whether to download and install". That has been my current settings for quite some time going back to when MS was trying to force GWX 10 on users.

So, my settings reflect what you suggested but the optional MSE updates install regardless.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

Get a rope... <_<

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

Get a rope... <_<

Naw, that's OK !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users