Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting a MAC OSX 10.5.3 to Windows Server 2003

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Hello,

I have followed all of the instructions on the web to share folders from a MAC OSX 10.5.3 to a Windows Server 2003 but still having trouble seeing the folders show up on the Server 2003.  Only two external hard drives show up but none of the folders are being shared (and the permissions are set to everyone and also I made a separate account to see if that was the issue).

Any help would be appreciated.

Here are the sources I used:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/24950/how-to-share-a-folder-in-os-x-with-windows/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

I am trying to login using a username I created and password and no luck.

Using this format: \\OSXServer\trueflow

It does give me the prompt to type in a username and password but it gives me this message when I try to connect.

I get this message:

\\OSXServer\trueflow is not acccessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The network path is not found. 

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

I am not familiar with MAC mate but in order to initiate a share or execute other commands when a computers clock is wrong and you cannot RDP into it in windows you can always use the command "net use \\ServerName\ipc$" and it will prompt for admin name etc, from here you can issue a remote "wmic process call create "net time \\Servername /set /y" command so it syncs clocks with the NTP allowing you to RDP etc etc.

This will allow you to navigate the shares as wel.

Only thing i would try is the IP address because i dont think netbios names are something hat mac's like to use mate.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 31 August 2017 - 05:24 PM.

#4 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the help, it is letting me connect to the MAC but I cannot see the folders that are being shared using the username and PW that I used.

I tried a couple of different user names and passwords to try to isolate the issue, but still no luck.

It shows two external hard drives connected to the MAC but none of the folders.

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:11 AM

No worries, just remember Share permissions allow you to see it, NTFS (Security Tab) allows you to write to it.

With out the correct share permissions set to maybe Everyone you wont see too much.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 01 September 2017 - 12:12 AM.

#6 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:25 AM

You are saying that I need to set the share permissions on the Windows Server side even though the shared folder is coming from the MAC?

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

Silly question: Are the username and password local accounts on the Mac, or on Windows?

Also make sure you are using SMB, and disable AFP. AFP is an Apple-only fileshare protocol and Windows won't understand it.

#8 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

The username and passwords are the same. If I deactivate AFP protocol and keep the SMB protocol, will the Mac users on the network still be able to access the osx server?

#9 x64

x64

• Members
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

In your other thread about this ( https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/655679/cant-see-share-folder-on-windows-server-2003-or-windows-8/ ), I suggested a procedure that needs to be followed for a windows system to successfully authenticate to a Shared folder on a (recent) MAC. How did you get on with that? (A quick word to the wise :) Helping someone when they are running concurrent threads for advice and not providing detailed feedback is not easy, and sometimes the helpers may trip over each other. I'd suggest we stick with this thread and get the other one closed with a referral to this one.)

The suggestion is for exactly this issue, but as I say I cannot verify that it is relevant to the older MacOS. Did you understand the instructions, were you able to find equivalent settings in the older OS? Did you select the account that you want to authenticate with, re-enter the password for that account, but the connection attempt still failed? 

You can keep AFP, as sfletetechguy says you need SMB, and you also need my settings to account for the poor password encryption on there Windows systems. The accounts you need to use are the user accounts on the Mac, and you separately need to enable each account to be compatible with Windows using my setting. Of course this all falls apart if that setting does not exist in 10.5.8...

x64

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

The username and passwords are the same. If I deactivate AFP protocol and keep the SMB protocol, will the Mac users on the network still be able to access the osx server?

AFP is useful in a Mac-only environment, but Macs can use SMB as well. Not sure what you mean by the username and passwords are the same. The same as what? Are they local user accounts on the computers, or is this a domain environment?

#11 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

The username and password are the same using local user accounts in the same workgroup on both the Mac and windows computers.

#12 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hi x64,

Yes I did understand your instructions and I did select the account that I would like to authenticate but I try connecting using win server 2003 and a windows 7 PC and all I can see is two external hard drives that are connected to the Mac 10.5.8, no shared folders. I have both the afp and smh checked on the sharing window under options, do I deselect afp and keep the smb for windows checked? I appreciate your help thus far.

Thanks!

#13 x64

x64

• Members
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:54 AM

Only SMB is important for Windows connectivity. For Windows AFP is not relevant - it does not matter (from a Windows perspective) whether it is enabled as well or not.

Where is the shared folder located on the Mac disk? Within someone's home folder or elsewhere on the disk?

Let's say the Mac user account that for want to use to authenticate too the share is called "Fred" - (I presume that you have shared the folder mentioned above on the sharing pane of system preferences (and enabled "File sharing" in the list of services on the left). When the shared folder is selected in the middle list on the sharing tab - What permissions does Fred have in the right hand list? What permissions are assigned to groups on that share?

Just for information (he doesn't need to be)  - Is Fred an administrator on the Mac?

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users