Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioned HDD, or SSD + HDD in New PC Build?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

Over the years with Windows PCs I have had just one internal hard drive and partitioned it into two drives - one to store the OS and programmes, the other to store my data (photos, Word documents etc.)

I am considering having a new PC built (Windows 10).  Should I stick with the above way (one hard drive only), or get an SSD (for the OS and programmes) and a secondary internal hard drive for data?  In this case I would not need to partition and would hopefully have a faster OS experience with the SSD?

What do you think?

Many Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,165 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:53 PM

I'd say get an SSD.  A 128 Gb drive is probably the smallest I would suggest, and larger if you can afford it.  They are much faster than mechanical HDD's, and you'll notice the difference when starting up the PC, loading programs etc.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

+1

SSD for the OS, HDD for everything else.

I've got a 120GB SSD, only used 52GB for Windows 10 and all my programs loaded(Office 2016, Acrobat etc), no games.

and that's with 10% (12GB's) assigned to over-provisioning and all system temp and user temp folders & Desktop/Docs/Pics/Music/Vids/Downloads relocated to the HDD.

but the price difference between 120GB and 240GB SSD's is not much.

this setup also makes backing up very easy and gives options like saving SSD images to the HDD.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

What's the difference in SSDs between MLC, SLC and TLC?:)

#5 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

What's the difference in SSDs between MLC, SLC and TLC? :)

let Google be your friend.  :)

but in a nutshell, it's the number of times each cell can be written too.

You won't regret it.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

#7 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for confirming - I look forward to having an SSD + HDD when I get a new PC in the future.  :-)

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

F1Help, depending on how much storage you need a single SSD may be enough.  You can get a 512GB drive for under $200 or 1TB for $300.

I will tell you that once you have a SSD boot drive it is painful to go back to a mechanical drive.

#9 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

F1Help, depending on how much storage you need a single SSD may be enough.  You can get a 512GB drive for under $200 or 1TB for $300.

I will tell you that once you have a SSD boot drive it is painful to go back to a mechanical drive.

I think it would be good to have a conventional HDD for data storage (in addition to an SSD) as this keeps the data separate from the OS and programmes (without partitioning) and is cheaper.  I would certainly like the quicker bootup time and programme usage with a SSD.

#10 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

Out of interest, how long does it take an average Windows 10 PC to boot in seconds with an SSD?  By bootup time I mean the time it takes with a cold start from pressing the "on" button to the time Windows is up and running with the desktop ready to respond to the user's request (excluding time required to enter a password etc.).  I understand that this can vary with many factors but just wanted a rough idea...

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,165 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

The average is difficult to say. With my Pentium G4560 PC (a fairly modest processor, an 8 Gb single channel memory) with an Intel 600p 128 Gb SSD (far from the quickest drive around, but not the slowest), I've just stop watch timed it and it's 14 seconds from instant of power button pressed to Windows 10 login screen.  Most of that seems to be POST and displaying the motherboard splash screen.  The Windows 10 "spinning circles" loading screen I only see for about 4 seconds..  On pressing "enter" after typing in my password, a usable desktop appears after 6 seconds.  It may continue loading things in the background after that, but I can open a browser or whatever straight away at that point.  It's a fairly clean install, with Windows Defender rather than a third party AV.

Edited by jonuk76, 02 September 2017 - 12:06 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

for me, from pressing the On button to being able to double click Word and have it open a new document and showing what I type in takes 18-22 seconds.

Desktop shows in about 12-14 seconds.

(so there must be background processes that get prioritised differently for each boot)

and that's down from about 90 seconds back in the HDD days.

shutdown is 7 seconds!

You won't regret it.

#13 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for sharing your bootup times - good to know.  :-)

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

In my case without fast boot my speeds are in around 8 seconds, both on my current built and when i still had my old one

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

In my case without fast boot my speeds are in around 8 seconds, both on my current built and when i still had my old one

That is an excellent boot time.  :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users