Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Utility for Backing Up to DVD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

I have inherited numerous DVD's  and was considering utilizing them for periodic backups. In the past, I have used Windows backup to DVD. Of course this was prior to other more efficient programs and/or the use of external HDD's.

I wanted to put these DVD-RW's to good use and was wondering what software would be best to use (ie., Easeus,Acronis, Aoemi).

I am looking for something user-friendly that would not be too technical. Anyone have any experience with such?

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

Which operating system are you using?

How much data are you talking about?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

I've used DVD-RWs in the past for making full image backups of my then 20G, later 100G C and D partitions.  And, because something can go wrong with any one DVD-RW within a set during an attempted restore, I always made two sets, duplicates.  There are a number of free and fee backup / restore / cloning programs that surely can also use DVD-RWs.

One warning:  I used to place my listening-in-the-car mp3s onto DVD-RWs, eventually, slowly, over time, one of the DVD-RWs would begin to make an extra noise-bit now and then, a few more burps and skips, until I re-full-formatted them and started over.   DVD-RWs can become problematic over time, forcing a full format and another re-load of whatever was on it to start with. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

I've used DVD-RWs in the past for making full image backups of my then 20G, later 100G C and D partitions.  And, because something can go wrong with any one DVD-RW within a set during an attempted restore, I always made two sets, duplicates.  There are a number of free and fee backup / restore / cloning programs that surely can also use DVD-RWs.

One warning:  I used to place my listening-in-the-car mp3s onto DVD-RWs, eventually, slowly, over time, one of the DVD-RWs would begin to make an extra noise-bit now and then, a few more burps and skips, until I re-full-formatted them and started over.   DVD-RWs can become problematic over time, forcing a full format and another re-load of whatever was on it to start with. 

That sounds like many hours of work and a great big hassle. A nice 64 GB USB stick is so much easier and quicker.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

RockyB, +1, however, the end-user wanted to use the given DVD-RWs -- so I answered accordingly  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

Which operating system are you using?

How much data are you talking about?

Win 7 Sp-1 7x64

Probably less than 4GB

Yes, understood. However I was thinking of using them weekly as just another source of an external backup.

Rocky Bennett said "That sounds like many hours of work and a great big hassle. A nice 64 GB USB stick is so much easier and quicker."

Please refer to my opening statement.

#7 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation as to what software they have used which writes to DVD's other than Windows??

Edited by sikntired, 31 August 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

I used Norton Ghost from 2000+- until 2005+- on DVD-RWs; I was forced to use external hard-drives when C and D partitions were becoming loaded with good stuff.  Today, I think any number of free or fee backup / restore / cloning programs can write to DVDs and to DVD-RWs -- search, use, and let us know how things are going.  If DVD-RWs are going to be your main backup media pieces, I highly recommend making two sets, maybe one day apart.  Two sets once a month may be enough, depending upon how much your data changes.

By using DVD-RWs, I guess incremental and differential backups are out of the question.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 August 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#9 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

@RolandJS,

Yes, I will be using the DVD's as another layer for backing up and doing this weekly. I understand that incrementals are out of the question.

I know DVD"s are antiquated in this day and age but surely there are some old die-hards that are still using them and was trying to elicit info from them as to what software they relied upon.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Guess I'll just browse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users