Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adsl voip modem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

hi to all,

my isp have replaced my adsl modem (thomson) for a zte 931wii vdsl2 modem and i ask to know if anybody of you have any experience with this device

i know the basics for voip but i do not have any previous experience

i have noticed that when the modem is off my telephone is also off ! and this is something that i really don't like

i prefer to switch off my modem during the night and when the pc is off and also when the weather is bad but i will not have a telephone !

also, when the internet is down i my telephone is dead !

i did't want to change my modem but this could not be avoided since it was my isp policy

i wish to know what is the bandwidth for the voip and if there different standards between different isp providers

my  adsl is only 2 mbps 

can you recommend a good voip program other than skype ?

any basic guidance on voip could help a lot

many thanks in advance

Edited by nickos, 01 September 2017 - 09:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,817 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

I have extensive experience with DSL service in the United States and, based on what I know of DSL, that service is using the same protocols wherever in the world it's offered.

I have no idea why the state of your DSL modem/router [zte 931wii] should have any impact whatsoever on your straight telephone service (presuming you have telephone service through the same company providing the DSL).  There should (most likely) be a jack doubler on the phone jack that allows one line to go to the modem-router and the other into which is plugged a DSL filter and into that plugged the telephone itself.  

It is difficult to get DSL service in the USA unless it's also provided with a telephone line at the same time (which makes sense, really).  Your DSL service and phone service, while provided on the same line, are completely separate entities and it is entirely possible for DSL to be down while your phone service remains unaffected.

The speeds you can get on DSL are directly affected by your distance from the central switching office that provides the service.  Your service provider should be able to tell you what the maximum "real world" speed is that you can expect based on your physical location.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,624 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

It's possible the ISP is running VOIP through the modem. Att Uverse Voice, now called Att Phone works like this and uses ADSL2+. It Provides both Internet and Phone service over the same modem. If the modem goes offline you lose your phone service. I would consider investing in a battery backup and you will need to leave your modem on 24/7 for receiving and placing phone calls.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,817 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

John,

I guess I'm still somewhat confused because I differentiate DSL modems or modem-routers, which is clearly what's shown and described at the zte website, from cable modems/modem-routers (e.g., any shown in this search at WalMart), which I don't consider DSL modems.  I have never seen a true DSL modem-router that has a telephone set jack on it, even as a pass through, because DSL filtering is preferred on the actual telephone itself.

It's very common to have cable modem-routers that also feature phone service, and in that case if your cable service goes out or your power goes out your phone service goes out with it. My daughter-in-law and her family once had ATT Uverse with a land line as part of it, but long ago dropped the phone service part of their package and are a "mobile only" household in terms of phone service now.  This used a cable modem, not a straight DSL modem.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,624 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

Brian here's one of the ATT DSL modems. A regular DSL modem will not work with ATT Uverse now called ATT Internet because the protocol is ADSL2+(VDSL). I'm not sure what the OP has if it's the normal ZTE modem.

KB400362-1.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,817 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

John,

Thanks.  Visually these are indistinguishable from cable modems, so I'm sure when I've been in service areas where VDSL/ADSL2+ is offered and seen one I immediately thought it was a cable modem.  The one you showed above also has backup power for hours in the event of a primary power outage so you don't lose your phone service (provided, of course, that it's not down, too).

The unit the OP gave as a reference does not mention telephony via VoIP direct connection as an option, hence my confusion.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

good afternoon my friends,

i thank all of you who replied !

now i fully understand what is going on !

yes, my internet and telephone line is from the same isp provider

my telephone line pass trough the adsl modem / router as ''voip'' and because of that the telephone line is working when the modem is on and is not not working when the modem is off ! 

unfortunately this is ''voip''

anyway, i don't like to leave my modem always on so i have to leave with this new feature for the time being

thanks

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,817 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

To each his own.   I literally never have my modem-router off except for when I intentionally power cycle it.

With Windows 10 (not to mention e-mail and a lot of other things) it's far more convenient to schedule Active Hours for when I'm awake and using the computer and having the "Inactive Hours" be when updates download and install.

I also would not like to be without phone service were my land line to be provided via a modem-router via VOIP.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:25 AM

good morning dear britechguy,

i agree with you

i will leave on the modem unless the weather is too bad

what about the modem's firewall ?

is it any good ?

since now i am quite happy with the windows xp firewall !

i have noticed that there is a usb port on he modem but i don't know what is for

Edited by nickos, 03 September 2017 - 02:28 AM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,817 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

Nickos,

First and foremost you should have both the telephone line that goes in to the modem-router and the power supply both running from a surge suppressor.  You cannot always be around when the weather takes a turn and there are lots of other things that can occur on the electrical grid that will cause power surges.  Any expensive and/or sensitive electronic equipment should only be run from a surge suppressor if you want to be as safe as possible in that regard.

I have always used the firewall built in to the DSL modem-router, usually set to "medium" or "low", but never "off" or "high" because both extremes cause unnecessary exposure and problems in day to day interaction with the web, respectively.  That, coupled with a software firewall and safe browsing habits have been adequate to keep my machines from having a single infection for decades now (I think the last infection I had on any computer I owned was in the 1980s).

You'd have to look in the user manual with regard to the USB port.  I've had one D-Link router where that could be used to connect a drive that was accessible over the network and it was handy to have as a backup drive for all my machines without having to move it around.  On the other it was pretty much worthless and I never did figure out what its intention was.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,624 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

I would add one thing to what Brian said. If your electricity is prone to voltage problems like brownouts I would suggest you get a UPS with automatic voltage regulation. These will maintain voltages within an allowance should you get drops or spikes.

#12 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

good afternoon my friends and many thanks for the replies

yes, i agree with all you have wrote and a ups is a good idea !!!!

yes, the modem's firewall is on but i haven't seen any other settings like medium or extreme

thanks

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,817 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

I have had no luck finding the User's Manual for your modem-router online, but here's a screen shot of what the Firewall screen looks like on the Actiontec modem-router I have:

Attached File  Actiontec_Firewall.jpg   49.37KB   0 downloads

And this is what it looks like on the D-Link that I had been using:

Attached File  D-Link_Firewall.jpg   115.58KB   0 downloads

I have yet to see a modem-router that does not allow some degree of control over the firewall settings other than on/off, but that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist, since I certainly haven't seen every one of them.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users