Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Help

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bert1

Bert1

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

Virus Help Desperately Needed! I'm pretty sure I have a virus. First of all I'm not very PC smart and am hoping for a simple way to get rid of the virus if at all possible cuz I'll get lost in a long or complicated process as some of us seniors are well known to do.

I am on XP, IE8 and dialup, unable to get my email homepage to display when I start the internet, unable to get updates for Avira for some time now and for Malwarebytes just recently. The computer acts erratic at times and has slowed down to a crawl also. Any and all Help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. B1  

Edited by Bert1, 31 August 2017 - 12:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

Try Malwarebytes or Adwcleaner and see if a scan helps you out. Additionally, you can try using RKill to kill malicious processes and then scan with Adwcleaner. If you can't do that normally, try booting into Windows "safe mode" and do the scans there.

#3 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

1. Download and run RKill https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/dl/8a353e03b53ac60455bcf67a021644cf/59a97d39/windows/security/security-utilities/r/rkill/uSeRiNiT.exe   (it has obfuscated name in case if malware tries to stop it from running)

2. Start adwcleaner, then go to tools (toolbar on the left) > options. Now, under "Reset" tab check all of the tickboxes and hit "ok".

Then run a scan with it and click "clean all threats" when it finishes. Don't reboot yet. If you do then run RKill again. 

3. Download and run a scan with Zemana https://www.zemana.com/en-US/ThankYou/Download?source=download&ProductID=2&IsFree=False&IsPortable=True | then hit "clean" when it finishes scanning. 

4. Run a scan with malwarebytes, clean.

5. *optional* Uninstall Avira. There are better alternatives.

6. *optional* Pick one of these AVs: Avast (free), Eset (paid, less bloated and more functions than Avast). There are many more AV's but I consider these two and WD the best ones out there. 

7. Download and run JRT https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/dl/52107fea0fcb611e53602b5d5edf2950/59a97cfe/windows/security/security-utilities/j/junkware-removal-tool/JRT.exe

Then reboot. After  you're done then update us whether your problem is fixed, if not then somebody will help you further. Hope this helps. 

#4 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:19 AM

Try Malwarebytes or Adwcleaner and see if a scan helps you out. Additionally, you can try using RKill to kill malicious processes and then scan with Adwcleaner. If you can't do that normally, try booting into Windows "safe mode" and do the scans there.

-------------------------------------------------

JR, Thanks for your response. I tried Malwarebytes but it wouldn't update and after I sanned it nothing changed.

I also tried Adwcleaner but it wouldn't install.

I am hesitant to try the "safe mode" scans there due to being unfamiliar with the process and possibly messing things up further. I failed to mention I have tried system restore but all the restore points refused to start.

Thanks for your input, am most anxious for you or someone out there to come up with a solution soon as possible. B1

Edited by Bert1, 04 September 2017 - 08:54 AM.

#5 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

1. Download and run RKill https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/dl/8a353e03b53ac60455bcf67a021644cf/59a97d39/windows/security/security-utilities/r/rkill/uSeRiNiT.exe   (it has obfuscated name in case if malware tries to stop it from running)

2. Start adwcleaner, then go to tools (toolbar on the left) > options. Now, under "Reset" tab check all of the tickboxes and hit "ok".

------------------------------------------------------------

D_B, Thanks for your response. I couldn't follow your excellent instructions because I tried Adwcleaner but it wouldn't install, and thought I wouldn't be able to complete the virus removal without it. I tried system restore in the hope it would restore but none of the restore points would start.

Thanks again for your help though and I hope you or someone out there can come up with a solution soon. B1 

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

Hello, Adwcleaner probably will not run on XP anymore.

Try to run this

Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Please download Emsisoft Emergency Kit and save it to your desktop. Double click on the EmsisoftEmergencyKit file you downloaded to extract its contents and create a shortcut on the desktop. Leave all settings as they are and click the Extract button at the bottom. A folder named EEK will be created in the root of the drive (usually c:\).
  • After extraction please double-click on the new Start Emsisoft Emergency Kit icon on your desktop.
  • The first time you launch it, Emsisoft Emergency Kit will recommend that you allow it to download updates. Please click Yes so that it downloads the latest database updates.
  • When update is complete, click Malware Scan. When asked if you want the scanner to scan for Potentially Unwanted Programs, click Yes. Emsisoft Emergency Kit will start scanning.
  • When the scan is completed click Quarantine selected objects. Note, this option is only available if malicious objects were detected during the scan.
  • When the threats have been quarantined, click the View report button in the lower-right corner, and the scan log will be opened in Notepad.
  • Please save the log in Notepad on your desktop and post the contents in your next reply.
  • When you close Emsisoft Emergency Kit, it will give you an option to sign up for a newsletter. This is optional, and is not necessary for the malware removal process.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

Global Moderator, Thanks for your response. As you may know,  Emsisoft Emergency Kit has 307.45 MB and and on my computer the Estimated time shown is 20+ hours, and my computer has always shut down with Alvira and Malwarebytes each time I have tried to update them at 7+ hours.

As I posted in my first post, just as a reminder, "I am on XP, IE8 and dialup,  been unable to get my email homepage to display when I start the internet or any other time, unable to get updates for Avira for some time now and for Malwarebytes just recently. The computer acts erratic at times and has slowed down to a crawl also". 

I'm also wondering why my request for help does not show the Views and Replies on the overview page of requests for help that the others show??

Am I in the right XP/Virus Forum, as responses appear to be very limited or does the "Views and Replies" activity have something to do with it, as it does not show any activity from any of you, kind enough to respond, or interest in my problem? 

Any further Help from you or anyone out there to get my Email back and my Updating and Virus problems solved would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks again GM, B1.  

Edited by Bert1, 08 September 2017 - 09:09 AM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

Hello I see 261 Views / 6 replies

TRy this online scan ( has minimal installation)

If you cannot run from Normal mode try Safe Mode with Networking
  • It is recommended to turn off your antivirus program. Click on the E5rfZI9.png button to see which antivirus is currently enabled:
c4VVzVO.png
  • Turn off your antivirus program. See here how to do this.
  • Check the option beside: Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and make sure that the option Clean threats automatically is NOT checked, and select the following:
Enable detection of potentially unsafe applications
Enable detection of suspicious applications
Scan archives
Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Click on the Change button and select only Operating memory, Autostart locations and drive C:\ to be scanned.
yKulboi.jpg
  • Push the dtoGjAL.png button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
8L8IBHJ.png
  • When the scan completes a list of found threats will open automatically (if any malicious files are found).
imxEgHt.png
  • Push thecRhRYZ8.png button and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan.txt. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the 9IjfdXq.png button.
  • Check the box beside RHzfZB1.png to uninstall the application when closed.
  • Push Vc3btaC.png and the close the application clicking the X in upper right corner.

Edited by boopme, 08 September 2017 - 09:39 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

Hello I see 261 Views / 6 replies

I am quite sure at least 60 of those views are mine, boopme... animated-feeling-smiley-image-0373.gif

I keep thinking that maybe there is a way we could incorporate the use of a USB to transfer files that are downloaded from a friends or family members computer who has a better connection so we can at least get the files onto the desktop since the dialup connection is causing the biggest issues here. That is if the USB ports work.

I am assuming this is a desktop since you referred to the computer as a PC and not a laptop, Bert1. Way back when I had dialup, I had to take my laptops to the local library to get updates to install without failure.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#10 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:49 AM

boopme, I got this far, "Turn off your antivirus program. See here how to do this",  found only Avira Antivirus Pro shown on the Vendor/Product list, which I never subscribed to. All I ever had to my knowledge was the Free version.

Also the Red Umbrella has disappeared from my system tray and I can't seem to get it back there, but Alvira is still listed in the add or remove programs list.

Should I continue with the scan with Avira Antivirus Pro still on the Vendor/Product list, and not able to temporariy disable it from the system tray umbrella icon, due to it's missing now?

I still don't get the " 261 Views / 6 replies" on my computer you and Donna B get, all I get is 0 Views.  My computer sure is goofed up with that darned virus(?). Thanks again for your help. B1  

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

Skip the AV part try to run it

#12 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

boopme, I can't find my Virus Problem listed in the topics page. Was it dropped for some reason or is it part of the problem I'm having? Can you get it back on there so I can respond to your last entry and continue getting help?  Sorry if this is the wrong format to contact you but didn't know of any other. Thanks, B1. 

Mod Edit:  Merged into AII topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2017 - 01:07 PM.

#13 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:48 AM

boopme, called away, will be back asap.

Still can't find my topic listed on the topics page though for XP computers where it was. Thanks for your help, B1

Edited by Bert1, 18 September 2017 - 05:34 AM.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

boopme, I can't find my Virus Problem listed in the topics page. Was it dropped for some reason or is it part of the problem I'm having? Can you get it back on there so I can respond to your last entry and continue getting help?  Sorry if this is the wrong format to contact you but didn't know of any other. Thanks, B1. 

Mod Edit:  Merged into AII topic - Hamluis.

Appears a MOD merged the 2 topics into this one

#15 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

Re:Post #8 & 11

Skip the AV part try to run it
------------------------------------------------
boopme, just got back, sorry for the delay. Tried running ESET Online Scanner 3 times but my internet connection still disconnects after 7 hours as it has with all the other download efforts. This virus(?), which I think it is, is sure messing up my XP IE8 dialup computer operation. Is there some easy way for a novice to get rid of this thing? Thanks, B1.

Edited by Bert1, 24 September 2017 - 03:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users