Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Windows Update, Firewall, Store & Apps

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gooodjunkk

Gooodjunkk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:51 AM

I have an Acer Aspire running Windows 10 Home 64-bit (upgraded itself from Windows 8) that has several issues.  The first real problem I remember was a few months ago when a few updates wouldn't install & the system was constantly trying to reinstall them, then undoing changes.  I recently put off installing an update by resetting the update date & time, but it finally installed (I think) a few days ago.  Now I can't use any of my apps, or Windows Store & Windows Firewall is screwed up, as well.  

Most Microsoft apps (calculator, calendar, solitaire, etc) will flash on the screen for a second, then disappear when I try to open them.  Windows Store appears to be missing completely.  When I try to open a non-Windows app (games, etc), I get a message telling me I will need a new app to open it.  Ran the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter, which said my store cache & licenses may be corrupt, but it did not fix the problem.  I then started searching for a way to fix it & I think I may have uninstalled the store completely.  I also read that changing ownership of files might help, so I tried that, but some of the files couldn't be changed because they were already in use.  Needless to say, it did not fix the problems.  

Windows Firewall won't start.  It says it's not using the recommended settings to protect my computer.  When I try to change it, I get a Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings, error code 0x80070437.  Windows Firewall troubleshooter just tells me the firewall is not started & that it was not fixed.  I tried some stuff that I read online to fix that too, to no avail.

I'm afraid I'm making things worse with my efforts to "fix" things & will greatly appreciate it if someone here can help me, before I break it completely.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:42 AM

If it was updated using Windows default update system, then now is needed to do fully clean install. It is necessary, also mandatory, because Your new Windows is too much different. Also all apps are different and if You updated using Windows update system, then many of them are not installed and registered correctly. Also the registry contains thousands obsolete keys etc. And one more thing - Your programs seems to be there, but most of them are not correct after this update, so all is needed to reinstall.
Otherways You stay for ever looking for errors and nothing will never work correctly.
Before You will do new new installation, register Your computer with Microsoft account and backup all important data and documents.

Edited by zainmax, 31 August 2017 - 03:44 AM.

#3 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:41 AM

Can you create a new administrator account?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

@Gooodjunkk

I would suggest that you do a Reset.  If you do the suggested fresh installation you will lose all of your personal files and all of the third party applications you have installed.  A Reset has the option of saving all of your personal files, unfortunately this will uninstall any third party applications you installed.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key windows-key.png  and the I key to open Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Edited by dc3, 31 August 2017 - 10:17 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

In addition to dc3's advice, which I agree with, at this juncture I am advising anyone who might still be on Version 1607 to consider updating to Version 1703 using the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

This gives you the option to "Keep apps and files" and does a complete reinstall of Windows 10 using the Version 1703 code base.  If you have an internet connection you can elect to apply all updates to 1703 at the time you install, but if you don't you can elect to install anyway and then allow the updates to apply later via Windows Update.

I've done this on one system running Version 1607 that had a number of problems and it solved all of them in one fell swoop.  This is unsurprising since the OS itself is wiped and replaced. 

I believe you can even do this if you're on Version 1703 already and it acts as a Reset but has the advantage of "Keep Apps and Files" rather than only "Keep my files" of a standard Reset [that is unless they've updated how Reset works - I haven't used one in quite a while now].

Edited by britechguy, 31 August 2017 - 10:29 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 Gooodjunkk

Gooodjunkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:28 AM

Wow, that was super easy.  Thanks a bunch!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Glad to have been able to help you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

Wow, that was super easy.  Thanks a bunch!

Just curious, what did you actually end up doing?   A Reset or update install using the ISO (which, effectively does a reset as part of it).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 Gooodjunkk

Gooodjunkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

Well, when I checked under "settings", "system", "about", it said I was already using version 1703, so I just did the Reset.  However, it did not give me the option to keep both my apps & files, just my files.  I thought maybe it had something to do with the fact that my Windows was already so screwed up.  Either way, I am just happy my Windows works like it's supposed to & I was able to keep all my files.  Again, thanks for help!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

Well, when I checked under "settings", "system", "about", it said I was already using version 1703, so I just did the Reset.  However, it did not give me the option to keep both my apps & files, just my files.  I thought maybe it had something to do with the fact that my Windows was already so screwed up.  Either way, I am just happy my Windows works like it's supposed to & I was able to keep all my files.  Again, thanks for help!

In post #4 I wrote the following.

A Reset has the option of saving all of your personal files, unfortunately this will uninstall any third party applications you installed.

The good news is that your computer is working properly again. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users