Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msi motherboard boot from DVD drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ihatemyc0mp

Ihatemyc0mp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:58 AM

So recently upgraded my computer. It's kind of a hand-me-down so I replaced a lot of things.
Psu-thermaltake 750w (new)
Gpu-asus geforce 1070 (new)
Cpu-Amd 6 core
Ssd-500gb samsung ssd (new)
Motherboard-970a-g46
And my DVD drive is also new, assuming it was broken but having bought a new DVD drive and now having that one not work I'm not so sure.
Problem.
Bios sees DVD drive, and ssd, the cables are new and yes I've tried both sata ports on the motherboard. I've set bios boot order to boot from DVD then ssd. And also the other way around. I've tried booting only the DVD drive. It's a brand new copy of windows 10. And I cannot get it to boot up so I can download the os onto my new ssd. At this point I'm at a loss. Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Upon a restart do you enter start up menu and tell the computer to boot from DVD drive where Windows 10 OS disc is installed.

F11 will let you enter boot menu

Here is a link to your motherboard and manual.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/970A-G46.html#hero-overview

Edited by The-Toolman, 31 August 2017 - 11:17 AM.

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

#3 Ihatemyc0mp

Ihatemyc0mp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

Yes. I've done that. Delete beings me to bios menus where the boot order is. F11 hasn't done anything for me

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,526 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

OK on page 2-3 of the manual it states:

"Boot Device Priority Bar"

Tick the disc

Then press F10 and see if it will boot.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,526 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

On page 2-6 under "Integrated Peripherals" under "SATA Mode" it is switched to "AHCI".

Reset bios to "default settings" and "Integrated Peripherals" under "SATA Mode" it is switched to "AHCI".

Press enter to save settings and exit and then restart and press F11 and see if it will boot from the Windows 10 OS DVD.

Is the Windows 10 OS DVD a retail copy or one that was created from a Windows 10 upgrade on a different computer.

#6 Ihatemyc0mp

Ihatemyc0mp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

Tried all of that. Still nothing. The disc is a retail copy

Edited by Ihatemyc0mp, 05 September 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:20 PM

Can you post your complete specs using the Techguy System Info? http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe. You can't download the ISO to the drive you want to install it on. You have to install it to a different drive and then burn it to a disk. Do you have any other bootable disks like maybe a linux live disk or a rescue disk you can use to test the dvd drive?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:41 AM

Reference 1

Reference 2

If the optical drive is properly connected and appears properly in the BIOS...and all BIOS/UEFI settings are proper...it does not make sense.  If the drive were brand new...and you had previous problems with then-existing optical drive...it seems possible that your motherboard port is not functioning as it should.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 September 2017 - 08:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users