Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I ..? 1 printer connected to 2 computers 1 USB Y cable?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:30 PM

I have 1 printer.
It runs to the computer via USB.

I have multiple computers.
Can I connect 2 ( or more ) computers to this 1 printer via a USB cable?  Maybe  
 a USB Y or spliter cable?

This way I don't have to disconnect the USB cable from 1 computer in order to print something from another.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

why not leave the printer connected to one PC and on that PC, share the printer out over the network as a shared resource?

that way, as long as the PC the printer is connected to is on, all other network users can print to it.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:34 AM

His computers may not have wi-fi or bluetooth, but ethernet Internet connection.

#4 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:44 AM

His computers may not have wi-fi or bluetooth, but ethernet Internet connection.

And what depends on it? Home network and Homegroup can nevertheless form or set up.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

I may be wrong. I am thinking in my theory that he has 2 computers which don't support wi-fi or bluetooth, or any other means of wireless communication. He connects 1 printer to 1 of his computers via USB. He connects the same computer to the ethernet Internet cable and the other computer is connected to nothing else, but the power grid. In that case even if he shared the printer, the other computer wouldn't be able to connect to it remotely. Or am I mistaken somewhere here? :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 31 August 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

The network setup is not stated in the OP.  If both computers are connected to the internet through a router then printer sharing over the network should be an option. That would be most convenient as no need for a USB switch box, manual switching etc.  The disadvantage is that printing will only work when the computer hosting the printer is switched on.

If the computers are not networked, but are close together, then a USB switch box might be an option. A "Y" cable would not work.  Something like this should work - https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-One-Button-Swapping-Between-Computers/dp/B006Z0Q2SI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1504209969&sr=8-8&keywords=usb+printer+switch

Some printers have their own network interface and can be connected directly to a router or switch.  As they would have their own IP address, they wouldn't be dependant on either computer being switched on to operate.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

When mixing two PCs with one printer, I put the printer on a powered USB hub and connect the PCs to the hub.

Edited by mjd420nova, 31 August 2017 - 06:39 PM.

#8 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

Thanks everyone.
Gonna go with this.

https://www.amazon.com/Findway-Printer-Sharing-Switch-MT-1A4B-CF/dp/B00DRG1QHA/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1504280957&sr=1-7&keywords=4+port+USB+sharing+switch

41qe6QeYYuL.jpg

4 computers:

1 online ( internet usage only )
1 offline @ all times ( file storage )
1 laptop ( online PRN )
1 linux ( not sure if going to be online or offline.

Why 4 computers? Why not? The laptop is older and convenient PRN.
The internet PC was my 1st build 3 years ago. ( way overkill for internet usage. But it was my 1st build so I went all out. Also at the time of the build my intention was to only have 1 computer. Now I have 4 ).
The offline storage only is something I'm building now. Will only store files, pics and videos only. No need to be online. Plus keeping it offline make me feel more safe and secure.
The linux PC was just for $%#$%@#% and giggles. I found an old HP in my basement and always wanted to try linux. To nervous to make the full conversion right now I decided to install linux on this to play around with.

4 computers needed? No.
4 PC's connected to a USB sharing HUB to 1 printer needed? No.
Fun? Yes.
Don't wait to connect to network ( yes I see the practicalicty ).
thanks everyone for your help and feedback?

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:17 PM

No probs. Glad you found a solution that works for you.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:23 AM

I use one of those USB switches so that I can temporarily use different PCs with my desktop setup.

The monitor has DisplayPort, DVI & VGA inputs so I don't need video switching & also has a built in powered USB hub to which keyboard, mouse & webcam are connected. So switching one USB connection & selecting the relevant monitor video input does the job for me. If my printer was connected to the PC by USB I would also connect it to the monitor hub - but it's networked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users